Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ORD AC "Concourse L" Lounge Remodel and Expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD AC "Concourse L" Lounge Remodel and Expansion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
My fondest wish. Also my most frequent disappointment. The trend in Admirals Clubs (also United Clubs) is that cubicles are old-fashioned. They're replaced by long glass shelves against the wall.

I can't think of a single "club makeover" where cubicles were added. I can think of a TON where cubicles were reduced or removed entirely.
I know, I know...but I just have this irrational habit of being rational. I mean, somewhere, somehow, AA's gotta conduct some market research where they realize that their target market is business travelers and that business travelers need to, uh, work. Right? RIGHT??!!

No, I know, wrong.

Sigh.
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I know, I know...but I just have this irrational habit of being rational. I mean, somewhere, somehow, AA's gotta conduct some market research where they realize that their target market is business travelers and that business travelers need to, uh, work. Right? RIGHT??!!

No, I know, wrong.

Sigh.
I fly out of L a lot... but almost every time I travel for work I trek to H/K to use their cubicals in the business corner. I’m going out of my way for those dumb things... so while some folks find them irrelevant to the times, I’m in my 20’s and find them invaluable to my work ability and comfort.

In a small club, I get it — they take up too much real estate. But for clubs that have the space like H/K or G, they tie together the business center concept will IMO.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:56 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Jagger3939
I fly out of L a lot... but almost every time I travel for work I trek to H/K to use their cubicals in the business corner. I’m going out of my way for those dumb things... so while some folks find them irrelevant to the times, I’m in my 20’s and find them invaluable to my work ability and comfort.

In a small club, I get it — they take up too much real estate. But for clubs that have the space like H/K or G, they tie together the business center concept will IMO.
The H/K Cubicles are nice. I wonder if their days are numbered? I note that H/K has cubicles AND ALSO Shelf-On-A-Wall.

Most of my travel nowadays is international. If faced with the choice between Flagship Lounge (with shelf-on-a-wall) or Admirals Club (with cubicles) ... wow ... I love the cubicles ... but it's still gonna be Flagship Lounge, Every Time.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
You're not wrong. They did a soft remodel awhile back, redid the bar, bathrooms and leased a bunch of hertz rental furniture. Everyone thought it was just a temp lounge while they redid H/K and flagship. It's nice, but it's not "standardized" and has hints of old style AC. Apparently she mentioned since both G and H/K got the total update to the new design, they want to do the same with L plus expand it since adjoining space apparently became available. Not sure if this has anything to do with the mayors plan to build out more gates in L? Maybe AA is looking at the future need of a decent size lounge in that area.
As Envoy continues to acquire More E175's, many of those are ending up at ORD on rotations through some cities to DFW (Not quite what ORD once was when they had all of Republic's E175's, but getting there). With the 5 new gates opening very soon, this club is a necessity. Not to mention that eventually, AA will control all of L, however that will be a long way down the road.

The AAngels at this club tell different stories but they all are about a full gut remodel. One told me they were going to use the second level eventually.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by akarneboge
The AAngels at this club tell different stories but they all are about a full gut remodel. One told me they were going to use the second level eventually.
I’d emphasize the “story” aspect. There is no second level. Those are airport/ airline offices, with a catwalk for access
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

I’d emphasize the “story” aspect. There is no second level. Those are airport/ airline offices, with a catwalk for access
Exactly. But I'd trust the fact that they are going to do a remodel eventually. The furniture in there is awful. The club was built pre-9/11 and then turned into a USO when AA cut back. Going to be great to have this in the #newAmerican style
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akarneboge
Exactly. But I'd trust the fact that they are going to do a remodel eventually. The furniture in there is awful. The club was built pre-9/11 and then turned into a USO when AA cut back. Going to be great to have this in the #newAmerican style
I personally like the red chairs... I think they're more comfortable and classier than the grey vinyl/fake leather ones... and I think the bar setup and location is the coolest at ORD -- being a wrap around with a near 270 degree all-glass view of the ramp.
But, remodels are always nice, especially when it means expansion for more space.

I asked the AAngel about the upstairs rumor when I was there this past weekend. She said no expansion to upstairs. In fact the reason the lounge is closed starting yesterday thru the next 3 weeks is because the airport is renovating upstairs for their use and didn't want to annoy passengers with all the noise in the lounge below.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
It's a hidden gem that not many people realize exists (or how to find for that matter). It's got it's own character and charm!
Count me among them. I didn't know there's an L club. The concourse itself is so dreary, especially at night, that I figured there were no amenities.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

If o

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Count me among them. I didn't know there's an L club. The concourse itself is so dreary, especially at night, that I figured there were no amenities.
After passing security but before entering L, look to your left. It's in the corner, almost as if you were about to go down the escalators past TSA to the baggage claim. You'll see the white frosted doors. For the longest time I walked right past TSA into L and never knew it was there.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:21 am

I personally like the red chairs... I think they're more comfortable and classier than the grey vinyl/fake leather ones... and I think the bar setup and location is the coolest at ORD -- being a wrap around with a near 270 degree all-glass view of the ramp.
But, remodels are always nice, especially when it means expansion for more space.

I asked the AAngel about the upstairs rumor when I was there this past weekend. She said no expansion to upstairs. In fact the reason the lounge is closed starting yesterday thru the next 3 weeks is because the airport is renovating upstairs for their use and didn't want to annoy passengers with all the noise in the lounge below.
Makes sense.

After passing security but before entering L, look to your left. It's in the corner, almost as if you were about to go down the escalators past TSA to the baggage claim. You'll see the white frosted doors. For the longest time I walked right past TSA into L and never knew it was there.
It's been a while now, but part of the inside of the club and the outside is "drywalled off" with the construction of the stinger gates. Should be easier to recognize once those are done and the walkway is open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.