Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500 mile upgrades worthless? have 40 never been able to use any

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500 mile upgrades worthless? have 40 never been able to use any

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
What are you talking about? As long as you only want to redeem for routes lile OKC-ORD on a Saturday morning, they're super useful!

But on a more serious note, we've basically entirely given up on getting any meaningful use out of them. Between aggressive F pricing and smaller premium cabins (and PPRO for more competition), sticker upgrades are basically non-existent these days.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I'm a lowly (lifetime) gold and have been decently impressed with what I've been able to get over the years with the 500 mile stickers. Granted, my home airport is not a hub. I am consistently upgraded on the flights under 500 miles for free, and have had good luck on others. In December I was upgraded to F to LIH on a connection out of LAX when there were 2 seats available and NO customers but me requesting upgrades, I was shocked myself. Last year I connected to LAX and was upgraded to J on the 77W to MIA. Several domestic upgrades in F, usually if I decide to connect in PHX I get best chance of upgrade but worst equipment. At the end of the day it really is a craps shoot. Some years are better than others, some days are better than others, you never really know.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by whyturnright
I'm a lowly (lifetime) gold and have been decently impressed with what I've been able to get over the years with the 500 mile stickers. Granted, my home airport is not a hub. I am consistently upgraded on the flights under 500 miles for free, and have had good luck on others. In December I was upgraded to F to LIH on a connection out of LAX when there were 2 seats available and NO customers but me requesting upgrades, I was shocked myself. Last year I connected to LAX and was upgraded to J on the 77W to MIA. Several domestic upgrades in F, usually if I decide to connect in PHX I get best chance of upgrade but worst equipment. At the end of the day it really is a craps shoot. Some years are better than others, some days are better than others, you never really know.
It helps not to be at a hub, and not to travel through DFW (that's a guaranteed way to be like... #42 on the list, although it's one of my favorite airports to transit). I've rarely missed an upgrade on RJ flights < 500 miles and I don't request them on flights between 500 and 750 (these often go out empty in F). I've had some really great F service on Republic and PSA, despite only being drinks and snack basket.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
In addition to where and when you fly, aircraft type also matters. On an A319, sticker upgrades are highly unlikely.
Ironically, when I was Platinum, the ONLY times I managed to get sticker upgrades were when I flew on an A319! Struck out everytime I flew on an E175 (best F:Y ratio).

I have 21 currently, I’ve only ever bought 1 in my life (after an upgrade confirmed and I was short 1 sticker). I used to use them up pretty quickly when I flew mostly domestic, but last year, when I made EXP, I made EXP by flying a lot of CX PE LAX-HKG-SIN/SYD routes (piles and piles of EQMs and EQDs), so in one trip, I’d easily earn 8-12 stickers and ran up a huge pile. The few domestic flights I tried before making PRO, I didn’t have any success. After making PRO/EXP, get a lot of domestic upgrades, but those are now free! Only way to really burn them down is to use them on a companion, which is almost never for me.

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that I never paid for the 21 I have, so I’m not wasting any money.

Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I used to be rather reluctant to "spend" say 3 stickers for an 1100+ mile upgrade and would keep them for legs that were 1400-1500 mile sectors. My upgrade success as a plat was so low, that I now opt to request the upgrade no matter the segment length in the hope that at least something will clear. I'm 0-4 this year and my next business trip is SAN-DFW-SAN, so I'm expecting to be 0 for 6 after that trip.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
As Gold, I cleared 50% upgrades. As Platinum, I cleared 80% - I was able to use stickers almost as quickly as I earned them. Things changed starting in 2015: with AA selling more F seats in advance, more elites, and shrinking F cabins I tend to see the F cabin mostly full by T-24. I now book F when I actually want to fly F, so my sticker count continues to increase - 24 as of now.

Here's an idea: allow upgrades to Premium Economy using stickers, if seats are available.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
As Gold, I cleared 50% upgrades. As Platinum, I cleared 80% - I was able to use stickers almost as quickly as I earned them. Things changed starting in 2015: with AA selling more F seats in advance, more elites, and shrinking F cabins I tend to see the F cabin mostly full by T-24. I now book F when I actually want to fly F, so my sticker count continues to increase - 24 as of now.

Here's an idea: allow upgrades to Premium Economy using stickers, if seats are available.
Considering that Stickers essentially are primarily for getting you into a domestic F product (and the A321T and Hawaii 777 lie-flats as a bonus), allowing Y to W (essentially domestic F seat) upgrades on routes like DFW-HKG could be a nice option. It'd take the flight from HORRIBLE to Somewhat TOLERABLE. Such a route would require a whopping 17 stickers, which would equate to $680 worth of stickers one way if all purchased at retail.

Consider AA said they were seeing an average of $400 buy up from Y to W, I think allowing stickers from Y to PE and opening up stickers to non-elites (in any fare class), could be a quiet way for AA to rake in some extra revenue (and not have to give miles for the extra revenue, and not give out the extra 50% EQMs than if someone just bought up).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
AA can’t win. They have the sticker system instead of complimentary upgrades (now except for Plat Pro, EXP, and <500 mile flights), and some complain about the lack of complimentary upgrades. But st the same time people accrue so many that upgrades are effectively complimentary but rare for lower elites, just like DL. If you have a large stash (as I do, but I really can’t use them since I haven’t been an AA elite for several years!), just think of AA’s system as effectively no different than DL’s: unlimited complimentary space-available upgrades, but space is rarely available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.