Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-Stop Screaming/Crying Infant on International Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Stop Screaming/Crying Infant on International Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deeruck
I'm pretty sure most parents don't take babies on flights just because they can. They do it because they need to be somewhere where the stress of flying with an infant is outweighed by the utility of getting there in a reasonable time. No one does it for fun.
This is true, but there are several parents who feel that children get carte blanche for their antics or that the rest of us should feel privileged being in their presence.

I do not have an issue with a crying infant if the parents are trying. If they are sitting, sipping wine or sleeping while their children run amok, different story.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is true, but there are several parents who feel that children get carte blanche for their antics or that the rest of us should feel privileged being in their presence.

I do not have an issue with a crying infant if the parents are trying. If they are sitting, sipping wine or sleeping while their children run amok, different story.
This is where I would definitely say something to the parent. If the parent doesn't seem to care about their behavior (and if the child is old enough to comprehend) I would say something to the child.
Sometimes children need to hear it from someone other than their parents that they're being little brats.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I actually wish I heard more crying babies, I am getting tired of these idiots travelling with their comfort rats (sorry, "dogs", although they are closer to rats) that just cry/yip the entire time. On my last flight despite the FA ordering them to put the dog in the carrier for takeoff/landing the lady just held the dog. On the way out the FA made a snarky remark to her, I thanked the FA and sent in a compliment/letter of thanks for the FA.
I’ll take a hound over a screaming child and a clueless or indifferent parent any time. A screamer and parent that decides to drop the table and change its diapers is the bonus.

The comfort animal thing is annoying. I know a guy whose physician wife that certified her medical necessity for that nonsense. She just wants to travel with the mutt in the cabin. And her dog is rather spastic, but...quiet.

I have never heard barking or seen/heard of a dog crapping in flight. Moreover, no dog I’ve seen on board weighs enough to cramp the limited adjacent space like some really obese humans.

Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:40 am

Smile

Originally Posted by deeruck
I'm pretty sure most parents don't take babies on flights just because they can. They do it because they need to be somewhere where the stress of flying with an infant is outweighed by the utility of getting there in a reasonable time. No one does it for fun.
Exactly!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AATrout
I have never heard barking or seen/heard of a dog crapping in flight. Moreover, no dog I’ve seen on board weighs enough to cramp the limited adjacent space like some really obese humans.
You obviously just haven't paid attention.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Most of what you note is worthy of criticism, but the light issue is NOT. Not everyone likes to (or can) sleep on planes--they may prefer to read.
Yep. Lights are fine, keepng shades up all the way to the extent bright sun streams across the cabin or back from the seat ahead into your face is not. On a long leg especially. Usually this is just someone being unaware; they’ll usually drop it if you ask.

On one trip in domestic J, the man in front of me on the window was either hearing impaired or not fluent in English or Spanish, when returning from the head I asked him if he would drop the shade. When I got no response I did what I’ve done before: took the emergency card unfolded, and wedged it into the seatback seam as a shade.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by 869
You obviously just haven't paid attention.
Oh but I have. To clarify, I have heard some yips from a little dog in an underseat carrier, but I have never heard that from a “service” animal on a leash. Maybe I’ll get that ticket punched this week, LAX.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Babies. Parents. Service animals. Carry-on pets. Barking. Window shades. Almost all devoid of AA specificity. This topic seems ready to be put to bed, and so we will do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.