Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alleged sexual assault on AA redeye Jun 2017 - victim speaks, to sue AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alleged sexual assault on AA redeye Jun 2017 - victim speaks, to sue AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by iahphx
We'd have to know more about the apparent FBI investigation. I know people have claimed that the FBI doesn't take these cases "seriously enough," but that doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm inclined to believe that if an airline calls in an alleged sexual assault and the police meet that aircraft, a reasonable investigation is then undertaken. Since this incident is alleged to have happened last June, I think we can assume that the FBI did not find probable cause to arrest anyone. Whether that was a good call or a bad call, I have no idea. But in light of these facts, what is AA supposed to do for this woman? If you were in their legal dep't and she was suing your airline for an alleged sexual assault by a fellow passenger that the police found insufficient evidence of (and for which you had no additional information) what would you pay her? I would think $5000 (what would be considered in legal circles to be "nuisance value") would be appropriate. That and a sincere apology for anything unfortunate that happened on her flight.
If we take your assumptions to be true, then this is a clear cut case of why frivolous lawsuits should be criminalized. This would be nothing short of extortion... it is far more cost effective for AA to settle than to fight the suit, which is unfair because they shouldn't owe a dime to begin with.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
We'd have to know more about the apparent FBI investigation. I know people have claimed that the FBI doesn't take these cases "seriously enough," but that doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm inclined to believe that if an airline calls in an alleged sexual assault and the police meet that aircraft, a reasonable investigation is then undertaken. Since this incident is alleged to have happened last June, I think we can assume that the FBI did not find probable cause to arrest anyone. Whether that was a good call or a bad call, I have no idea. But in light of these facts, what is AA supposed to do for this woman? If you were in their legal dep't and she was suing your airline for an alleged sexual assault by a fellow passenger that the police found insufficient evidence of (and for which you had no additional information) what would you pay her? I would think $5000 (what would be considered in legal circles to be "nuisance value") would be appropriate. That and a sincere apology for anything unfortunate that happened on her flight.
I don't think anyone is arguing that there's anything that AA can do now. It's standard procedure when being sued not to make public statements about the case (especially not apologies because that could be seen as an admission of liability). Perhaps there was more that AA could have done on the flight, perhaps not.

Part of the point of filing a lawsuit is to find out what AA knows about the incident, because filing the lawsuit triggers the discovery process. The woman's lawyer can obtain copies of any of AA's internal recordkeeping regarding the incident, including potentially any witness statements from FAs. Likewise they can procure any evidence from the police/FBI investigation. Then they can put the evidence in front of a judge or jury to determine whether AA has any civil liability.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Just because there is a legal word in existence doesn't mean it's the right one under the circumstances. A nuisance is when someone plays loud music next door or otherwise prevents you from the peaceful enjoyment of your property. It's not when they assault you. So even if we completely disregard the non-legal meaning of the term, it's still a terrible response to characterize a rape as a nuisance.
We get it... you find this common term to be offensive for some unimaginable reason. Move on.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
If we take your assumptions to be true, then this is a clear cut case of why frivolous lawsuits should be criminalized. This would be nothing short of extortion... it is far more cost effective for AA to settle than to fight the suit, which is unfair because they shouldn't owe a dime to begin with.
Frivolous? I wouldn't say that -- especially compared to lots of the truly frivolous airplane incidents we see make their way from social media to mainstream media.

This woman was, allegedly, assaulted on an AA aircraft. If it's true, that's very bad. And if AA knew or should have known that the alleged assailant was a threat to the woman, and did nothing, they could be liable. Serving him a drink (or multiple drinks) might have contributed to the alleged crime. We just don't know all the facts yet.

I do agree that there's something weird about the alleged fact pattern. Whether we will ever learn more, or the case will somehow go away, I don't know.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boerne
If she went to the Hospital as reported, the ED should/would have done a rape kit. If a rape kit/exam was done and was positive, they have the male passengers names on the flight. If there was DNA, then ID of the perp should be pretty straight forward investigative work. Not rocket science, this sort of forensic work goes on daily. Some of the story is missing.
Are you serious?
AA (or the FBI) does not have a sample of my DNA, nor are they going to get it.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:57 pm

We get it... you find this common term to be offensive for some unimaginable reason. Move on.
Please explain how you think either the legal term or the common English definition are relevant to the situation at hand since you seem to think it's the right word.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:06 pm

Please explain how you think either the legal term or the common English definition are relevant to the situation at hand since you seem to think it's the right word.
No. It's not on topic... use google and you will understand this is the correct legal term. Move on.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:36 pm

No. It's not on topic... use google and you will understand this is the correct legal term. Move on.
It's literally exactly on topic since that is one of the points of contention about the original article.

I read the Wikipedia page you linked to; I explained why it's a ridiculous legal theory to apply to the situation at hand. So the way normal discussion works is now if you think I'm wrong you explain why. Otherwise we can all just properly conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about and just decided that since the airline used a word it must be right.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

It's literally exactly on topic since that is one of the points of contention about the original article.

I read the Wikipedia page you linked to; I explained why it's a ridiculous legal theory to apply to the situation at hand. So the way normal discussion works is now if you think I'm wrong you explain why. Otherwise we can all just properly conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about and just decided that since the airline used a word it must be right.
Yeah, if it helps you sleep at night, sure... It's because the airline used it. Move on.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Yes, of course the correct answer is to make up a completely new term instead of using one that is universally understood simply to appease rabid SJWs.
What is a SJW?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
SJW stands for Social Justice Warrior in online media mainly. Like forums such as this, Facebook, twitter, etc
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether AA called ahead for law enforcement to meet the arriving aircraft or just for emergency medical care for the woman. It sounds like the latter.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether AA called ahead for law enforcement to meet the arriving aircraft or just for emergency medical care for the woman. It sounds like the latter.
The Dallas News story says she was met by police officers when the plane arrived, and that there was a subsequent FBI investigation. So I don't think it can be reasonably disputed that AA "called ahead for law enforcement."

Which, of course, makes sense. The woman told a flight attendant on board that she had been raped. No flight attendant in the world would think that only "medical care" would be needed upon arrival in such circumstances.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
What is a SJW?
It's a term bigots, racists, misogynists and the like often use when someone has the audacity to point out their bigotry, racism or misogyny. Whether that was the case in this instance I have no idea but it's generally used as an insult to discredit someone for acknowledging social injustices.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by IggySD
It's a term bigots, racists, misogynists and the like often use when someone has the audacity to point out their bigotry, racism or misogyny. Whether that was the case in this instance I have no idea but it's generally used as an insult to discredit someone for acknowledging social injustices.
To be a bit more charitable, it's a form of Ad Hominem attack where rather than try to deal with the substance of an argument that you don't like, you just declare your opponent to be a SJW and then don't have to bother engaging with what they are actually saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.