Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alleged sexual assault on AA redeye Jun 2017 - victim speaks, to sue AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...m-now-speaking

Was this a widebody?

I can’t imaging no one hearing any commotion in lavatory in a single aisle aircraft.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Member

unless there was a substitution that flight, its been a 737 for at least the past 2 years and a A321 before that.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This week UA killed a puppy, sent another dog to Japan rather than Kansas...AA be like:

you being raped by a drunk guy we kept serving is a ‘Nuisance claim’ buuuut sorry we "missed the mark" in responding to your complaint. And how is this still an ongoing investigation and why wasn't the guy detained upon landing (that's not AAs fault)?

What I did find most shocking, and frankly disturbing, is the stat in the article that of 2000 FAs 1 in 5 said they "had received a report of passenger-on-passenger sexual assault while working a flight"...what the AF is going on with people!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So the rape happened onboard an AA flight and was reported to the authorities. Nine months ago. How is an airline supposed to be responsible for a crime committed by a passenger?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's surely some AA responsibility if FAs continued to serve drinks to a drunk passenger. It's even worse if the guy should have been denied baording because he was already drunk.

Moreover, there are at least questions regarding how AA handled the situation after the victim reported the rape to cabin crew.
reeg2 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's surely some AA responsibility if FAs continued to serve drinks to a drunk passenger. It's even worse if the guy should have been denied baording because he was already drunk.
Moreover, there are at least questions regarding how AA handled the situation after the victim reported the rape to cabin crew.
The are millions of drunk men flying around, being drunk doesn't make you a rapist? Do rape victims sue the bar the rapist may have gone to before comitting the crime?
AAs handling of the situation on board after the rape was reported is not detailled at all in the news report referenced by the OP.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course all drunk men don't commit rape.

IANAL but
1. It violates FAA regulations (which have the force of law in the USA and on USA carriers) to serve alcohol to a passenger who appears to be drunk.
2. It's also a violation of the regulations to permit a passenger to board who appears to be drunk.
3. If a bar (or a home host) overserves someone and the person then is involved in a drunk driving accident, the bar or host is liable in the USA. Yet not every drunk (or even every drunk driver) causes an accident.
flyalways and beltway like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AAs handling of the situation on board after the rape was reported is not detailled at all in the news report referenced by the OP.
Well, here's a clue to AA: when someone tells you they were raped on your plane, consider referring to the incident as something other than a "nuisance".
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:17 am

Another report: https://www.yourtango.com/2018311679...airlines-fight

Lane said she immediately reported the incident to the flight attendants who moved her to a seat at the back of the plane. "I was feeling overwhelmed," she said. "All of a sudden, I was thrown in a middle seat, bawling. On top of being sad and hurt and scared, I was also embarrassed."When they landed in New York, authorities were called to meet the plane at the gate — but they only took Lane to the hospital.
Her attacker wasn't taken into custody and today she still doesn't even know his name. Because the alleged raped happened in the air, FBI has to investigate and prosecute.

Lane said she's looking to sue American Airlines for letting the drunk man board the plane and continuing to serve him drinks.
The story doesn't add up. So 'authorities' were called, but no one is being prosecuted? Or if he is, the rape victim doesn't know his name? And now AA is being sued for serving drinks?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Call me in insensitive, or whatever name you want, I call complete and utter BS on this until someone proves otherwise. No way are authorities going to just let a guy walk, who just raped a woman on board the a/c, Honestly, there is pretty much no chance you could rape someone in the tiny bathroom on an AA plane. All that and nobody else hearing? No way! Even a willing participant would be hard to do nowadays with how tiny these bathrooms are.

I am not saying she is completely full of crap, I do believe it's likely the man COULD have made unwanted advances to her, but this screams money cry to me. She knows good ole public opinion will have a field day, especially with the #metoo right now, and she knows AA will give her boatloads of money out of court to make it go away.

Just another frivolous lawsuit it seems, <redacted>.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: Unacceptable stereotype
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Awful if this is true, but it's really difficult to take the claim too seriously when the writer can't even make it past the 2nd sentence without sensationalizing the incident:

"Several hours into the red-eye flight, she got up to use the bathroom.........."

This was a flight from PHX to JFK, a flight that takes 4.5 hours at most. Was she raped during the decent? I too am having some serious doubts as to the validity of this claim.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Another report: https://www.yourtango.com/2018311679...airlines-fight

The story doesn't add up. So 'authorities' were called, but no one is being prosecuted? Or if he is, the rape victim doesn't know his name? And now AA is being sued for serving drinks?
What doesn't add up to you? Some woman made an unsubstantiated claim against another passenger and likely felt that involving law enforcement would assist her in a civil suit against the airline. Unfortunately for her, the "lack of the progress" from the FBI means that they haven't located any evidence that backs her story. Now, 9 months later with the #MeToo movement still in full force, she has moved onto Plan B, which appears to involve using some hack reporter to publicly embarrass the airline and potentially pave the way for a settlement.
SpinOn2 and SFO777 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
Well, here's a clue to AA: when someone tells you they were raped on your plane, consider referring to the incident as something other than a "nuisance".
They didn't call it a "nuisance", they called it a "nuisance claim", which is a specific legal concept.
JonNYC, oliver2002, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Voldoo
Now, 9 months later with the #MeToo movement still in full force, she has moved onto Plan B, which appears to involve using some hack reporter to publicly embarrass the airline and potentially pave the way for a settlement.
I think me too has little to do with this, but the legal plan flanked with some 'media' reporting is probably in full deployment here.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by econometrics; Mar 16, 2018 at 9:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.