Do you wish AA would leave ORD?

Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
As another Chicago-based flyer, I'd prefer AA stay so I don't have to cave to my company and start flying UA or WN (most likely UA since my overseas travel includes destinations other than the Caribbean and Mexico).

I agree that a northwest hub or "focus city" would be welcome (especially for Trans-Pacific flights). SEA might be tough sledding due to AS and DL taking a majority of the gate space, though.
I agree. Despite its issues, I rather like ORD. Moving to MSP (or somewhere else in the Midwest) would cause a ton of headaches for AA.

I'd love AA to build a hub in the Pac Northwest, but the only realistic way that will happen is if they absorb AS, though I'm not sure such a deal would get DOJ clearance.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
from the horse's mouth: no new hubs or point to point flying. I really like AA's ORD operation and, knock on wood, really haven't had any nightmare flight issues flying to/from/thru ORD. I love the revamped AC in H/K too, and that 2nd bar area they added in the back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2018/03/14/when-might-it-be-time-to-sell-american-airlines-shares-here-are-seven-potential-indicators/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign= yahootix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo#76cb6fc55100
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Surprised nobody's brought up LIT yet.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There's always the Chicago Gary International Airport, or maybe the state would waste even more money and build out Peotone for them.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Do I wish my preferred airline would give me fewer flight choices and no longer fly to the 3rd largest city in the country?

I'm going to go with "No" on the one.
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
There's always the Chicago Gary International Airport, or maybe the state would waste even more money and build out Peotone for them.
Let's add in Chicago Rockford International Airport while we're at it... :P
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Since discussing Hubs, I would like a nonstop TPAC from CLT (and yes I just thread hijacked and yes no need to tell me never going to happen) LOL. Original requested response, "Please stay in ORD."

Safe Travels
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Do I wish AA would leave ORD? No.
Do I wish to avoid connecting in ORD? Yes

If AA were to dehub ORD, they could reopen the STL hub or create a hub at United's former CLE hub.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
Do I wish to avoid connecting in ORD? Yes.
+1 to this exactly.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Austin787
Do I wish to avoid connecting in ORD? Yes

If AA were to dehub ORD, they could reopen the STL hub or create a hub at United's former CLE hub.
Why not reopen the LUS hub at PIT if you're going to open something that close to PHL/DCA/LGA/JFK?

As far as using Gary or Rockford vs a new airport in Peotone, it would almost have to be a new airport since neither Gary nor Rockford has space to expand (Gary is constrained by active railroads and the Indiana Toll Road and Rockford is constrained by waterways). The Peotone airport is 20 - 30 years out, though, and would have to be paired with a high-speed rail line - driving to Peotone from the Loop takes 1.5 - 2 hours on a good day.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There is nothing to be had in the PNW unless you make a go at PDX and I don't honestly know what that gets you.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Assuming the mayor's plans bring ORD into a current century, then no.

I hate connecting at ORD, but that isn't AA's fault. It's just a much less desirable airport compared to DFW in just about every way. In fact, I can't think of 1 advantage ORD has over DFW (not counting flight availability to specific destinations).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
In fact, I can't think of 1 advantage ORD has over DFW (not counting flight availability to specific destinations).
A new Flagship Lounge. That's all I can come up with.

But that will change very soon, as the DFW FL will begin renovations in Terminal D 6 April.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PPro, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Explorist, DL Silver
Originally Posted by bchandler02
In fact, I can't think of 1 advantage ORD has over DFW (not counting flight availability to specific destinations).
Garrett's popcorn. Which I love but is not enough for me to purposefully fly through ORD if I can avoid it.

Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by nrr
AA used to have a hub in STL; due to its "southern" location less prone to ice/snow issues than ORD. IF they were to abandon ORD, I'd vote for STL. Why not bring back STL to lessen ORDs heavy flt load???
Not enough of a business base in St. Louis with just a smattering of big corporate seats and it doesn't stand out as a particularly popular international/vacation destination. With AA closing the pilot base in STL and nothing regularly larger from AA than a 737 passing through, it probably has not made business since for some time, even before the current management team. Even Delta doesn't operate a Sky Club at STL (while American did at least remodel theirs following a tornado instead of just closing it under the auspices of an undetermined re-open date).

About twenty years ago it was possible to hop on a TWA wide-body to LGW or CDG from STL and at one point FRA was even going to be added to the mix before the very slow demise of AA's operations over the past two decades there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.