Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using other currency to get a non-refundable last-minute ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking into purchasing a last minute ticket from PIT to ORD on AA for this weekend. The cost is $585, and all tickets are listed as refundable. I'd rather pay a lower price for a non-refundable ticket. On a whim, I used AA's China site in English and found that they list non-refundable tickets for the same flight at ~$290 (but in CNY, of course). Is there any problem with using another currency to book a non-refundable fare?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No direct experience with AA and this particular situation, BUT... you *MAY* find that non-US sites require a credit card issued in the country/currency of the country's site you are using. I dunno. I had a problem using American credit cards on the Russian Rail System website a few years ago. I'd say try it and see what happens. I'm guessing somebody else will chime in on whether this works - bottom line, if they sell you a ticket and you've got a paper (PDF) boarding pass (I wouldn't rely upon an electronic boarding pass), what are they gonna say at the gate? Sorry, you can't get on the plane?

Well, yeah, maybe they would say that. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call AA and ask 'em. But maybe call the English line in China and ask them.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by danbrew
No direct experience with AA and this particular situation, BUT... you *MAY* find that non-US sites require a credit card issued in the country/currency of the country's site you are using..
Unfortunately AA requires you to have a US issued Credit Card with a US address in order to pay on their international websites. It's an unfortunate, IT caused scenario as of January 1st, 2017 but could play in favor for OP.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
Unfortunately AA requires you to have a US issued Credit Card with a US address in order to pay on their international websites. It's an unfortunate, IT caused scenario as of January 1st, 2017 but could play in favor for OP.
I think you meant to write something else, because this is definitely incorrect.

AA requires you to use a credit card issued (and with address in) whatever country's site you're purchasing on. (Currency of the card is irrelevant, however.)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm pretty sure the chinese site is showing you the prices for each leg separately...total cost is still ~$580.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
if it is indeed cheaper but AA website is an issue maybe you'll be able to purchase via an overseas OTA, isn't ctrip chinese?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Djokison

I think you meant to write something else, because this is definitely incorrect.

AA requires you to use a credit card issued (and with address in) whatever country's site you're purchasing on. (Currency of the card is irrelevant, however.)
Try to complete a booking on Hong Kong, Japanese or Singaporean website. The default credit card country is United States and cannot be changed (site will crash). Intended behavior. The booking does require a US issued credit card. I'm not sure if it's different for the European websites, but for Asia this is the current behavior. I've complained four times to AA now and other than 10k miles for my inconvenience, they don't have a solution.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacar
I'm pretty sure the chinese site is showing you the prices for each leg separately...total cost is still ~$580.
You are correct. The US/UK site shows the total cost of the flight when you pick a leg, whereas China/Ireland/Italy show the cost per-leg. That's confusing.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:49 pm

Try to complete a booking on Hong Kong, Japanese or Singaporean website. The default credit card country is United States and cannot be changed (site will crash). Intended behavior. The booking does require a US issued credit card. I'm not sure if it's different for the European websites, but for Asia this is the current behavior. I've complained four times to AA now and other than 10k miles for my inconvenience, they don't have a solution.
Ah, you mean Asia. For the international sites I use (European and Caribbean), they require local credit cards.
That certainly is an odd (and annoying) glitch, though.
ckx2 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Try to complete a booking on Hong Kong, Japanese or Singaporean website. The default credit card country is United States and cannot be changed (site will crash). Intended behavior. The booking does require a US issued credit card..
AA has flights to/from both Japan and Hong Kong, and the US. Are you saying that nobody that lives there and wants to buy an AA ticket over web directly from AA can do so, unless they happen to have a US-issued credit card? That seems very hard to believe. What may be happening is that the website is forcing the use of a US-issued credit card if the purchaser's IP address is in the US, regardless of which country's AA site, flight origination, or currency is used.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by whackedspinach
You are correct. The US/UK site shows the total cost of the flight when you pick a leg, whereas China/Ireland/Italy show the cost per-leg. That's confusing.
AA displays the cost of the outbound you select and the cheapest segment on the date of return. When you select the outbound, the website takes you to the return date and you can then pick the return segment and it will price according to the flight.

This is only confusing if you are comparing two different websites in two currencies intended for customers in two different markets, e.g. countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.