Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is this DFW-JFK-YUL connection too risky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver

I'd like to fly on a Thrs from DFW to YUL late March. The direct is really expensive (either dollars or miles) so looking into other options.

AA.com gives me option to fly DFW-JFK, then 38 mins layover until JFK-YUL. AA allows it but warns of a short connection time. I will have checked luggage.

The price and times at right, but I'm hesitant to press buy because of the time constraint.

Thoughts from the group?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
I'd like to fly on a Thrs from DFW to YUL late March. The direct is really expensive (either dollars or miles) so looking into other options.

AA.com gives me option to fly DFW-JFK, then 38 mins layover until JFK-YUL. AA allows it but warns of a short connection time. I will have checked luggage.

The price and times at right, but I'm hesitant to press buy because of the time constraint.

Thoughts from the group?
If you miss the connection, then AA will have to handle it
That said, JFK often has delays, which is why B6 had the worst on time performance back when I checked a couple of years ago
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:28 pm

Assuming you are on a single ticket AA will rebook you. If there are a few more flights the same day and if you don't need your luggage immediately then you could take the risk. If it is the last flight of the day or you need to be at the destination at a specific time I would not take the risk.
You can check on flightradar24.com or similar websites how yor flights performed in the past to see what your chances are.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
You are looking at AA 1294 on to AA 3321, right? There is no later JFK-YUL on AA, but there should be later flights from LGA. On the current schedule, the last LGA-YUL is just after 8pm, so you would easily be able to make that, unless you are very late. AA will definitely rebook you; incidental expenses (cab from JFK to LGA, overnight stays if required) depend on the reason for delay - no dice if weather or other "out of airline's control".

Are there no options via LGA, ORD, PHL or CLT?

Edited to add: I have looked at Thursday, 29 May. The 38 minute connection via JFK shows as US$ 518. For the same price you could fly via LGA, departing at 12.35 and arriving at 10.21pm, with a 3h connection at LGA, AA1118 on to AA 3667.

Pro: you have a comfortable connection and no risk of travelling across NYC in a hurry.
Con: you will depart 2h later but arrive 5h later. If the 38min connection works out (which I'd say is rather likely) you would rather do that.

Last edited by TravellingSalesman; Mar 14, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. For the day I'm looking at, the DFW-JFK-YUL flight I have on hold is $200 less than any of the similar options. I'm going to try it. Will be sitting near front of plane, and if I recognize there are significant delays before we leave then may EXP desk can get me on a different route (or even the more expensive direct that night)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Thanks for all the replies. For the day I'm looking at, the DFW-JFK-YUL flight I have on hold is $200 less than any of the similar options. I'm going to try it. Will be sitting near front of plane, and if I recognize there are significant delays before we leave then may EXP desk can get me on a different route (or even the more expensive direct that night)
Flight cost is irrelevant when it comes to rebooking for irrops or schedule changes. 40 mins is the standard D-I MCT at JFK, but there are provisions that allow 38 mins to make certain connections like this from DFW legal. So you're right at the limit, as soon as your DFW-JFK flight looks to be delayed by even 5 mins I would be working with the AC or gate AAgents to get rerouted (preferably onto the nonstop DFW-YUL if that works).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Will be exciting. Don't check bags for max flexibility.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Good luck! In case it gets tight: the flight to YUL will depart at the far end of the C section, the part of the terminal that is connected to the main building by a tunnel.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

We're back from the trip. YES, we made the connection but it was tight and almost didn't happen.

Flight left on time from DFW, and was tracking to be 5 minutes early. About 30 mins prior to landing, aa.com changed to show it arriving 5 mins late. We actually touched down within a few minutes of schedule but taxiied for a while. We were sitting row 8 and were first people off plane at 3:06, and then all sprinted from C5 to C32 to get there by 3:15. The agent said she was expecting us, but then also said they were about to close the door. AA app showed our 5 bags actually got loaded a few minutes before we did.

So, bottom line this worked but it just as easily could have gone the other way. Thanks everyone for the tips.
SK and rafkeduck like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:54 pm

Glad you made it, and lesson learned for next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.