Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating Seat Selections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Much of this is also driven by the fact that airlines want to show up near the top of search results on Google and other search engines so everything is an additional fee to make the base price seem low. Just like hotels and their nonsense “resort fee” or other nonsensical fee you can’t avoid.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by AAdamE
The best way to share feedback is with your feet! But yea "special exceptions" are made for children under 14, so if you wanna sit together and your not elite you gotta pay - OP is being a bit dramatic here - I think the one thing AA should do is offer an discount on "Preferred" seats to CC holders - it would reward non-elite but still somewhat loyal folks and not eat up MCE for the elite.
selfish centered "elites" act like children and applaud when others suffer and get less so that they can get more for themselves and feel extra special.

AA is at fault here because it proactively misleads people: It advertises free seat selection for Main Cabin but doesn't disclose that free seat selection is mostly limited to middle seat. AA deserves to be slammed hard with a class action lawsuit and forced to disclose information that will let people know that free seat selection is limited so that prospective passengers can vote with their feet

Last edited by MasterGeek; Apr 12, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
To reserve a preferred seat one free of charge must spend at least $3K a year for GLD status. To get MCE free $6K a year. It’s called you get what you pay for.

Other than Southwest pretty much all airlines price this way. So the alternatives are fly WN, pay for seats in advance, risk sitting apart or drive. It has nothing to do with “elitism.”
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
To reserve a preferred seat one free of charge must spend at least $3K a year for GLD status. To get MCE free $6K a year. It’s called you get what you pay for.

Other than Southwest pretty much all airlines price this way. So the alternatives are fly WN, pay for seats in advance, risk sitting apart or drive. It has nothing to do with “elitism.”
Point being debated is AA limiting free seat selection to middle seats only. We're not talking about preferred seats.

AA must should show an all inclusive price or post big warnings saying "Free seat selection, BUT LIMITED TO MIDDLE SEATS" for regular main cabin fares

AA is misleading by advertising competitive fares but not telling the full story.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
selfish centered "elites" act like children and applaud when others suffer and get less so that they can get more for themselves and feel extra special.
says the one throwing a childish tantrum. For starters anyone with elite status on an airline is an elite status member, rendering your use of quotes to the garbage bin of petulance.

no one is happy anyone else suffers. But if I am on 4 flights in a week, I'm not apologizing that I'm glad AA keeps some seats for my last minute bookings.

feel free to boycott the US3. There is a reason that NK continues to make money- temper tantrums like this do not result in any difference in consumer behavior.
TSparky and kingstontoon like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

Point being debated is AA limiting free seat selection to middle seats only. We're not talking about preferred seats.

AA must should show an all inclusive price or post big warnings saying "Free seat selection, BUT LIMITED TO MIDDLE SEATS" for regular main cabin fares

AA is misleading by advertising competitive fares but not telling the full story.
again, ludicrous. If a hotel advertises free parking, it means free parking, not preferred parking in the first row.

I'm fully against deceptive practices and forced fees like resort fees, but your expectations are beyond reality.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
If your biggest goal is to sit together, then pay for seats together at booking, and then watch your booking like a hawk for any changes that shift those seat assignments (schedule changes, plane changes, etc). If you wait until check in, you may not have any options that are all together, even if paying for a seat assignment at that point.
Or subscribe to Expert Flyer for that month and get seat alerts within a few minutes after they become available!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist

AA is at fault here because it proactively misleads people: It advertises free seat selection for Main Cabin but doesn't disclose that free seat selection is mostly limited to middle seat. AA deserves to be slammed hard with a class action lawsuit and forced to disclose information that will let people know that free seat selection is limited so that prospective passengers can vote with their feet
You bring up a good point. I avoid basic economy because I want to select a seat without a fee, and I want to be able to fly standby, so as an elite the "upcharge" is usually worth it to me. I can see how a non-elite would be rubbed the wrong way as the big selling point for them is being able to pick a seat and only middle are available.

I also wonder if being basic economy actually tends to get you a better seat because so many main economy folks don't pay for MCE or preferred seats - seems like a real tough draw for main economy folks.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
You must have a very different definition of "middle seat" than I do.

TSparky and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Antarius
again, ludicrous. If a hotel advertises free parking, it means free parking, not preferred parking in the first row.

I'm fully against deceptive practices and forced fees like resort fees, but your expectations are beyond reality.
I agree - it is misleading, but I see both sides - folks ARE allowed to select seats before they purchase the ticket - so there is some transparency; however, I can see how it would be difficult for leisure travelers to make an informed decision with all of the options and screens, and know/think to switch to basic economy if they select main cabin, and see limited seats.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG is all that's left.
This thread had seemingly devolved into bickering, so I thought long and hard if I should open a new one (but ultimately decided against it).

I wanted to share this ridiculousness for a JFK-MXP flight I just booked for May 2020:

Of course, this seat map technically does still provide the option to make a free seat assignment. (Heck, my wife and I could even opt to sit together as long as we give up our ability to recline on a transatlantic flight.) But this practice is extremely deceptive and worth calling out, even if some FF have somehow tricked themselves into thinking that such exploitative schemes by airlines are justified or desirable.

In this particular case, I had actually booked regular over basic economy because I assumed we'd be able to get decent seats together for a flight that's ten months out.
wrp96 and altabello like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by flyino07
In this particular case, I had actually booked regular over basic economy because I assumed we'd be able to get decent seats together for a flight that's ten months out.
Other people seem to have gotten the same idea. I share your frustration over the large proportion of seats that are "premium" (and I use that term loosely) but your particular flight seems to also have a high number of passengers booked onto it. Like any flight, the good free seats are taken early. For context, here is what an empty seat map would like:

Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
some FF have somehow tricked themselves into thinking that such exploitative schemes by airlines are justified or desirable
Yeah I can think of a couple on here......
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
This thread had seemingly devolved into bickering, so I thought long and hard if I should open a new one (but ultimately decided against it).

I wanted to share this ridiculousness for a .....
I have a dfw-hnl flight in Aug that has looked just like that since I bought tickets a few months ago. No free selection for non elites, and the buy up seats are nearly completely wide open. Both an insult to anyone not buying a BE ticket being advertised free selection, and an indication that AA way overprices the cost of preferred and mce seats.

As for the narrow body seat map example a few posts up --- what a joke of a post. The issue with AA holding a ridiculous limited number of free selectable seats is on long haul wide bodies. AA advertises a seat selection benefit which doesn't often exist in any practical way for non elites.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I have a dfw-hnl flight in Aug that has looked just like that since I bought tickets a few months ago. No free selection for non elites, and the buy up seats are nearly completely wide open. Both an insult to anyone not buying a BE ticket being advertised free selection, and an indication that AA way overprices the cost of preferred and mce seats.

As for the narrow body seat map example a few posts up --- what a joke of a post. The issue with AA holding a ridiculous limited number of free selectable seats is on long haul wide bodies. AA advertises a seat selection benefit which doesn't often exist in any practical way for non elites.
I think UA started doing the same. Not sure about DL, haven’t flown it for a while

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.