Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating Seat Selections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Unfortunately AA had to give this up as the public voted with their feet and dollars. Now people complain that they have to pay to reserve seats with less room but there is nowhere to go.
This is not true at all for Delta and United, who have larger portions of the cabin open for free seat assignments. AA is alone here, and AA is losing customers when DL and UA are offering you a free seat for the same price.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm not surprised for a trip during spring break to a vacation destination. Lots of families traveling, all trying to get seats together.
I understand when trying to get seats together, but I understand the OP could not book even one middle seat for anyone.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This is not true at all for Delta and United, who have larger portions of the cabin open for free seat assignments. AA is alone here, and AA is losing customers when DL and UA are offering you a free seat for the same price.
Really? Both Delta and United have basic type economy fares that do not allow any advanced seat assignment. They were doing this significantly earlier than AA.

I must fly different routes than you. I see mostly full loads on my flights. I would not say AA is losing business to Delta and United or anyone else based on the number of passengers.

Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by jagoffee
Really? Both Delta and United have basic type economy fares that do not allow any advanced seat assignment. They were doing this significantly earlier than AA.

That's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about no seats being available for assignment even when you're paying for a regular economy fare. That's been clarified several times in the thread already.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Everyone! Thank you so much for all your replies and information! My trip was complete and a good time was had by everyone. I do still have a bitter taste in my mouth thanks to American Airlines, but lesson learned. I thought I would share my lesson learned just in case anyone is interested.

I booked my tickets to Maui back on Feb 11th. When I booked my tickets there were not any "Free" seats on any of the 4 legs (there were a few singles scattered throughout the plane), there were however plenty of "Preferred & Main Cabin Extra" seats for purchase. I booked Main Cabin Economy (NOT BASIC ECONOMY). I decided to wait until 24 hour prior to see if anything would open up. It did not, I was forced to purchase 4 seats on 4 legs, most in MCE because that was all that was left. Also, on both of my long legs I overheard and saw on the plane MANY (not an exaggeration) families and groups talking about how nobody was seated together. That would have been us if we did not pay. This was a $1133.78 lesson. That comes to $271/person round trip to select seats. Yes, it was a little more costly because we bought MCE. However, there weren't 4 "preferred" seats together. Here was our itinerary:

Outbound: Sat, Mar 17
OKC-DFW AA2653 MD80
DFW-OGG AA7 777

Inbound: Fri, Mar 23
OGG-DFW AA6 777 (red eye)
DFW-OKC AA2443 MD80

Today I did a little self education to prevent the same mistake. I looked at the same type of trip 4 months from now. OKC-OGG, leave Sat, Jul 21 and return Sat, Jul 28th, 4 people traveling. What did I find? The exact same scenario (with the exception of one of the MD80 flights has Free seats). The other aggravating thing is that you don't know the cost of the "Preferred or Main Cabin Extra" seats until you put in all your passenger information. So the money value isn't given to you until right before you enter your credit card information. This particular scenario our tickets would cost $1570 rt per person. We would have spent an additional $165 rt per person to get seats sitting together (adding a total of $660 to our trip). Just like my actual trip we were 'forced' into purchasing MCE seats because nothing else was available. Just like I learned on my trip, you cannot just wait until check-in 24 hours prior and be given seats for free together. I saw many people split up (including pairs of 2 being split). Now I know that is a major tourist route with many families. It probably isn't always that way. But the fact is that it was on my trip, and if I repeated that trip in the summer I'd get the same result.
So... I continued my self education further.

I went to Delta, searched the same future trip, looked at the seats. First thing I noticed is Delta's flight was way more expensive. $1696 rt per person. However, all 6 legs (yes, only 3-leg trips OKC-OGG on Delta) had plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of free seats for selection. Even more interesting is when I entered all my passenger info, I selected the "preferred seats" to see what they cost. They were "Free". I don't know why, I am not a elite member at all. I wasn't even logged into a Delta account as I was browsing. It may be because I was "Main Cabin" and not "Basic Economy". I don't know why.

I then went ahead and searched United. What I found on United was a fair of $1376 rt per person with 2-legs each way. All 4 of United's flights had PLENTY of "free" seat selections. Also, on United the "preferred seat" things isn't even a thing. They only have Economy Plus and Economy.

So what exactly did I learn? I learned to look at the seat my before clicking Go. I learned how to find what seats will cost me if they cost me. If I actually did my future flight what I would have learned is I had 3 options. 1) AA at $1725 (including fees to purchase tickets) 2) Delta at $1696 and 3) United at $1376. United would of been the no brainer. I won't say I will never fly American again. If they have the correct flights for the correct price (including actually researching seats and adding them to the fare) then I would fly them. However, if they are close to the correct flights and prices, I will easily go to another carrier after how they aggressively charge their seat prices. Shame on American, Shame on Me.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
duplicate

Last edited by flymeAAway; Mar 30, 2018 at 1:06 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
I must be missing something. Since you only booked about a month in advance, during spring break, to Hawaii I think I can understand why the free seats were taken. Had you looked and or booked 5 or 6 months ago it may have been a different story. This flight, I am guessing, is in high demand.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dm6214
I must be missing something. Since you only booked about a month in advance, during spring break, to Hawaii I think I can understand why the free seats were taken. Had you looked and or booked 5 or 6 months ago it may have been a different story. This flight, I am guessing, is in high demand.
Actually - looking at the seat map for AA's flights from DFW-OGG, it does seem that there are very few seats that are made available without being classed as premium seats

What is available without surcharge, seems to be mainly middle seats

Using availability of 10/01/19

21,22,23,24 B and K
24 E,G

are standard seats in the 1st section ( all middle )

Then rows 30-36 A,B,E,G,K,L
All of row 36
37,38 A,C,J,L

A total of 57 seats of which 8 are aisle seats, 18 are window seats and 31 are centre seats
57% of the seats are classified as premium

Doing a comparison against DL on a SCL-HNL flight on an A330 , 94 seats are marked as premium ( of which 40 are economy comfort ) out of 250 - so only 38% chargeable vs 57% on AA. As far as locations of free seats go, DL has 16-23 where only centre D,F seats are available , but rows 24-26 and 28-41 have no premium seats

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 30, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by flyou10
I haven't flown on AA for a while....
No offense intended, but that explains it all.

Sincerely wishing y'all a great trip.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
No offense intended, but that explains it all.

Sincerely wishing y'all a great trip.
You quoted their original post before the trip. The trip is now complete, with a nice "lessons learned" post to recap. The fact that they dont use AA often is irrelevant.
TSparky, IndyHoosier and altabello like this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:24 pm

Ha! You think that was bad, OP? Wait until October in Dallas!

\m/
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by mortgage1
Vote with your feet
unless you have an employer paying your freight on the big 3
fly southwest, pay the$15 for priority boarding and everyone sits together
get their credit card too
Um, as the OP was flying to OGG, WN is not an option. At least not for a year or so.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by mortgage1
Vote with your feet
unless you have an employer paying your freight on the big 3
fly southwest, pay the$15 for priority boarding and everyone sits together
get their credit card too
Depending on how old the kids are they may just be able to board after the A group with Family boarding and should be able to sit together. This is why I'm a fan of Southwest. No charge for bags, no change fees, $15 per person is the most you'll have to pay for your preferred seats. Even other carriers the change fee is half of the majors.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Ha! You think that was bad, OP? Wait until October in Dallas!

\m/
What is happening in October?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Nice analysis

i just postponed a leisure trip over this same issue

would have booked a $450 transcon RT — but saw that only middle seats were available , and it would be $35-$77 per segment (x4) to get a comfortable seat

i’m without status until I make it to $3k spend (currency $1600 and 27k miles)

I’ve resigned to needing to buy a 1st class transcon rt to make it to $3k , but don’t want to do it this time around, since I don’t even need luggage, and they are usually about $1100 - not enough to make the hurtle yet
MasterGeek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.