Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Too Quick To Sleep (Fast West-->East flights due to jet stream)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM

Man we were flying. 120mph tailwind at times on KOA-DFW March 9th. From takeoff to landing, it was 6 hrs and 3 minutes.

Lets hear some other stories of fast flights. I'm sure there are some quick Atlantic crossings.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:02 am

This has been happening often lately; a recent flight from SFO to JFK was only 5 hours, and according to FlightAware the flight every day for the past two weeks has been about the same.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...610Z/KSFO/KJFK
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by kpfleming
This has been happening often lately; a recent flight from SFO to JFK was only 5 hours, and according to FlightAware the flight every day for the past two weeks has been about the same.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...610Z/KSFO/KJFK

The actual flying time from SFO/ LAX- JFK has always been ~5 hours.

Not a big fan of the eastward red eye because of that. London from JFK is also too short for any kind of rest overnight.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: A few here and there
IAD to LHR in 2024

5:30 from gate to gate and we had to circle at lhr to be in after curfew was lifted
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:03 am

A Norwegian Air 787 did JFK-Gatwick in 5:13 earlier this year.

https://www.wired.com/story/norwegia...-speed-record/
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
IAD to LHR in 2024
Is that estimate presuming new engine improvements by that year, or what?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
5 hours isnt too bad. On red-eyes, I basically try to sleep as soon as the in-flight safety video is done.

Some red eyes are brutal. Runs like SLC -> CLT where the listed time is 3:45. Actual flight time might not be more than 3 hours or 3:20. Thats rough.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
5 hours isnt too bad. On red-eyes, I basically try to sleep as soon as the in-flight safety video is done.

Some red eyes are brutal. Runs like SLC -> CLT where the listed time is 3:45. Actual flight time might not be more than 3 hours or 3:20. Thats rough.
I've taken the LAS-PHL/CLT redeyes far more than I would have liked. Back when US still had the hub in LAS, there were tons of redeyes from LAS to most major east coast markets. Those were always brutal, as airtime is 45 minutes less than west coast cities.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:59 am

I was flying LH F from IAD to FRA and had insane tailwinds and arrived in 6 hours. I had absolutely no sleep due to the turbulence as well.

If anything I wanted the flight to be longer...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I've taken the LAS-PHL/CLT redeyes far more than I would have liked. Back when US still had the hub in LAS, there were tons of redeyes from LAS to most major east coast markets. Those were always brutal, as airtime is 45 minutes less than west coast cities.
AA used to have a LAS-DFW redeye. Left 12:30am (so 2:30am DFW time) arrived 5am. Actual flying time about 2:10.
sm82 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dave_261
AA used to have a LAS-DFW redeye. Left 12:30am (so 2:30am DFW time) arrived 5am. Actual flying time about 2:10.
HP also had a LAS-DFW redeye, along with LAS-IAH (and many many more, late at night was when the LAS hub really came alive)

Years ago I remember doing some mileage runs that included PHL-MUC. I remember the flight was delayed from PHL for about an hour, maybe more, so that we'd land closer to the scheduled time. I'm not sure if MUC has a curfew or if it was just gate space (I think US used an LH gate, and sometimes a bus gate).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
HP also had a LAS-DFW redeye, along with LAS-IAH (and many many more, late at night was when the LAS hub really came alive)
They also ran LAS-RDU for a while. As a broke college student it was convenient.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is why I never attempt to use an SWU on say PHL or JFK flights to LHR. It's just not worth it. The nonstops from where I live in DFW yes of course but philly and new york are too short. Besides once I knock a bunch back at the club' I'm out and usually regain consciousness over Dublin.
MiscMel70 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
On shorter hops it's nice. My usual PHX-SMF is usually around 1:50; the return is closer to 1:25, and I've had a couple that were closer to 1:10.

For a hot minute a few years ago I was considering taking a US PHX-DSM flight that departed at 1am, and arrived around 4:45am. On a CRJ.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
This is why I never attempt to use an SWU on say PHL or JFK flights to LHR. It's just not worth it. The nonstops from where I live in DFW yes of course but philly and new york are too short. Besides once I knock a bunch back at the club' I'm out and usually regain consciousness over Dublin.
Yep. I'm on a CLT-CDG in a few weeks, in Y. It departs at 4:30pm Eastern time, or 2:30pm on my Mountain time body clock. When I land in Paris my body clock will think it's roughly 11pm (instead of the 7am local time) - and that's without any fast tailwinds. Nevermind being too short to sleep - the timings mean I won't be wanting to sleep until right about landing. No point in wasting an SWU. Ugh.

Last edited by bse118; Mar 13, 2018 at 11:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.