Wiki Posts
Search

Worth purchasing an MCE exit row seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Worth purchasing an MCE exit row seat

Wondering what the pros of paying for an MCE exit row seat are? Early boarding and a bit more room are not important to me, I'm at the back of the bird so will get on early enough to store my bag and I'm not very tall. Chances of not being around children? Is that a thing? What am I missing?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by theshaun
Wondering what the pros of paying for an MCE exit row seat are? Early boarding and a bit more room are not important to me, I'm at the back of the bird so will get on early enough to store my bag and I'm not very tall. Chances of not being around children? Is that a thing? What am I missing?
The big draw for many is the extra leg room. AA has also started to provide complimentary wine/beer to passengers seated in MCE seats.

Don't assume that you will board the plane early just because you have a seat in the back of the plane. AA now has eight or nine (depending on whether a flight offers "Basic Economy") separate boarding groups; AAdvantage and other oneworld-airline elites get to board in one of the earlier groups, as do AAdvantage credit-card holders.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I like MCE, and I used to like MCE Emergency... but, um, I'm big. That's a nice way of saying fat. The exit row seats are less wide than the other standard economy seats. How much less? I dunno. But less. I feel fatter when sitting in the emergency rows. But I can stretch out my short stubby feet.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I wouldn't call it early boarding, earliER I guess... When in MCE, I see a few dozen people board in front of me but when I do board I find most bin space still available so I guess it is a good thing.
Exit row seats are narrow due to the solid armrests. You may want to go for a non-exit row MCE, if available on your plane, looking for an open middle and hoping it sticks.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
It's all relative. Is MCE worth it on a DFW-HKG? Oh yes. Worth it on a DFW-AUS? YMMV.
carlosdca and GTITAN like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
The difference between Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra are more legroom, earlier boarding and advanced seat selection if you are not elite.
That's about it, you are not missing anything.
You don't care about early boarding or extra leg room, then why even bother with MCE?
If advanced seat selection is important for you, you can pick a non-MCE seat for less money anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
The difference between Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra are more legroom, earlier boarding and advanced seat selection if you are not elite.
That's about it, you are not missing anything.
You don't care about early boarding or extra leg room, then why even bother with MCE?
If advanced seat selection is important for you, you can pick a non-MCE seat for less money anyway.
Well, in theory MCE seats now have dedicated overhead bin space, and free drinks (beer & wine) and food are also on the way to be introduced sometime this "spring".
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
It's all relative. Is MCE worth it on a DFW-HKG? Oh yes. Worth it on a DFW-AUS? YMMV.
+1 Exactly. At 5'9" I can deal with E- on a Trans Con or Mid Con, but even I would pay up for an international flight.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, in theory MCE seats now have dedicated overhead bin space, and free drinks (beer & wine) and food are also on the way to be introduced sometime this "spring".
are you sure you are not confusing MCE with Premium Economy? Two totally different things

Edit:
P.S.
Just saw the other thread and it seems you are right.
I don't know. For me the value of MCE is the extra leg room.

would I be willing to pay $50 extra for a seat when all I want is an $8 beer (and don't care for legroom or early boarding)? Probably not.

Last edited by carlosdca; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:46 am

are you sure you are not confusing MCE with Premium Economy? Two totally different things
Absolutely..

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...1q-2018-a.html
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Dedicated bin space, but not enforced by FAs... That is what AA said............... Then, who is going to enforce it, passengers?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Edit:
P.S.
Just saw the other thread and it seems you are right.
I don't know. For me the value of MCE is the extra leg room.

would I be willing to pay $50 extra for a seat when all I want is an $8 beer (and don't care for legroom or early boarding)? Probably not.
Beer is $8? Airway robbery
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Dedicated bin space, but not enforced by FAs... That is what AA said............... Then, who is going to enforce it, passengers?
Thus the "in theory"..
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
if you do not mind a middle seat you do not need to pay anything extra for an advanced seat assignment IMO. I am fortunate enough to be able to book the McE due to my Platium status. If I did not have status I personally would not risk a middle seat assignment.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Then, who is going to enforce it, passengers?
The over-aggressive pax who flies 3-4x per year, has no status but think they are road warriors, and bought MCE to have "Priority" boarding and bin space.
Quinlanty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.