Schedule Change Rights - OAL Possible?

Old Mar 10, 18, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler
Schedule Change Rights - OAL Possible?

Greetings. New to AA and of course my first flight on them in years has become a slight struggle.
Spouse and I booked in F (paid) from SEA/JFK (nonstop) in June on the 1120 departure. Chose this flight since we're on a Alaskan cruise and we can't make the early morning departure.
AA just notified us that due to a schedule change, this flight is now cancelled and they autobookad us to the 0700 departure (greater than the 120 minute rule). Well, that's not going to work since we have to disembark and clear customs and that time.
Only option AA is providing then is the redeye (have to work the next day) or 9-11 hour connections via ORD or CLT. Ugh. The purpose of this flight was the nonstop (and timing).
I proposed OAL (UA or DL) both have 1130 departures to EWR or JFK (doesn't matter what airport since we live in Manhattan) would they mind endorsing the ticket to either. When I brought this up it was the end of the world to AA and it's prohibitive.
HUCA x 3. Same answer. Connection or refund.
Any luck with anyone else in this scenario? Or, am I just out of luck?
Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 18, 1:44 pm

You are SOL.
Old Mar 10, 18, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
For SEA-JFK, AA is not going to rebook you onto another carrier due to a schedule change. If no other options on AA work, they will happily give you a refund and then you can rebook on DL or UA yourself.

I would take a long look at the other AA options yourself and not rely 100% on what an AAgent finds on their computer.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 10, 18, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Can you find a connection option on Alaska Airlines? They may be able to work with you on that since some Alaska flights have AA codeshare numbers on them.
Old Mar 10, 18, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
Can you find a connection option on Alaska Airlines? They may be able to work with you on that since some Alaska flights have AA codeshare numbers on them.
AS has a 3:35 flight to EWR. It gets in late but better than a redeye. If an extra 1/2 hour is enough they also have an 8 am flight.

I don't think AA will put you on DL for a change this far out, but a change to UA or AS is not unheard of, but if not, it is still far enough in advance to cancel and get a good deal on the flight of your choice.
Old Mar 10, 18, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yep, that's typical at all three major carrier these days and, actually, has been for a number of years now. Have you checked aa.com to see which connections are available. I'm assuming that you are traveling during the summer (since it is an Alaskan cruise) and that is must be on a Saturday since the 11:20am flight does not operate on Saturdays. If so, one option is an 11:05am connection through Charlotte (1:15 connecting time( and arrive at JFK at 10pm-ish. Otherwise, you could ask for a connection to LGA or EWR, I'm sure they would accommodate that.
Old Mar 10, 18, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
For SEA-JFK, AA is not going to rebook you onto another carrier due to a schedule change. If no other options on AA work, they will happily give you a refund and then you can rebook on DL or UA yourself.
Agreed - they’d rather just give you your money back. Take it and book yourself on a better itinerary.
Old Mar 10, 18, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
They are not going to booked you into another carrier for a schedule changed they notified you about 3 months in advance.
If AA flights don't suit you, then you are entitled to a refund
Old Mar 11, 18, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Piling on but - no, AA isn't going to send you to another airline. Look for a connection or get a refund and book yourself elsewhere.

You're clearing customs from Alaska to Washington state?
Old Mar 11, 18, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - There are multiple connection options starting at roughly 10:30 through LAX, DFW, and CLT. All arrive prior to midnight. Have you walked through each option with AA?

What do the OA options cost. If you can find something at roughly the cost of what you have paid, you are entitled to cancel your AA ticket segment for a full refund to your original form of payment and then purchase whatever you want. This far out, it is entirely possible that there are options in the same range, albeit with a connection.
Old Mar 11, 18, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler
Decided on refund

Thanks for the insight.
~Looked at all connections even into LGA and EWR.
~Prefer the 1000 departure, but, fearing clearing customs at the port and insane summer 'Sunday' lines at SEA we won't make it.
~The next bank of departures just gets us in super late.
~Will opt for a refund and book on DL.
Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 18, 10:36 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
If you're gonna take a later flight you might as well go for the refund and buy jetblue mint. It's likely cheaper and with lie-flat seats much more comfortable.
logicalrealist and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 11, 18, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Be thankful. Now you can book jetBlue Mint and it's probably cheaper than what AA charged you for paid F.
Old Mar 11, 18, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post

You're clearing customs from Alaska to Washington state?
Alaska cruises often have a final stop in Victoria BC

Search this Thread
Search Engine: