Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two AA rerouted pax on chartered bus injured walking at rest stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two AA rerouted pax on chartered bus injured walking at rest stop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What a tragic situation for the Chinese tourist couple. Thanks to Ms. Kuo, they had an advocate.

As to AA, it’s easy to castigate AA for this, but they tried to do what they could under the circumstances - charter a bus (never was it intended for the bus to be out on the road for that long) to get passengers to their destination, given hotels at BWI were full (under force majeure, AA wasn’t obligated to provide lodging).

The bus didn’t have a lav - did the company have lav equipped busses? Was it expected the trip would last that long? The two passengers were struck crossing a street by a motorist. The two passengers were hospitalized. I’m sad that this happened, but for those excoriating AA, I’m not seeing their fault here - at least this time .
enviroian, ashill and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
It is a crazy story, although hard to find much blame for AA.

Perhaps it is a counterpoint to the complaints about AA Cancelling Flights Pre-Storm, as this is a case where probably most passengers would have been better off if the original flight had been canceled.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
AA chartered a bus. I give them credit for that. Not personally inspecting every bus for rest rooms (or thinking to ask) is not really something I fault AA for. It's not like it's at all reasonable to expect AA to keep a fleet of buses with nice bathrooms (and F seats?) ready in Baltimore for whenever there's a big storm. And there probably wasn't a glut of buses available to be chartered at the time.
I hope neither you or your family are ever in a situation like this. But if you are, by some unfortunate turn of events, I would like to see how you respond then.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HomerJay
The sheer size of the storm - and the thousands of flight cancellations - led to airport hotels being completely booked over much of the country. There was
likely no way AA could have helped all their diverted passengers secure hotel rooms, no matter who was paying.

Sending them up - in the middle of a terrible storm - on a bus without a rest room was about as stupid and negligent as can be.

Miss Kuo is absolutely an angel. What she did for that elderly couple shows a brave, kind, and beautiful spirit. She's the superhero of this story.
I am not sure if you read the whole story right.

I am going to quote One Mile at A Time report:

At this point (over 10 hours into the ride) the bus stopped at a McDonald’s, so passengers could use the bathroom and buy food; the passenger telling the story suggested that the Chinese couple go with her across the street to Rite Aid and/or Applebee’s, since McDonald’s was so busy
If this quote is right, I am not sure if Ms Kuo is a superhero. Of course there is no denial that she helped the elderly couple during the way. However there are too many ifs and buts. Unfortunately the whole thing can be avoided. After all if she did not make the suggestion, the elderly couple would not have crossed the road with her. And the accident would not have happened. And if Ms. Kuo had stayed with the couple all the time and make sure the crossing is legal, the incident would not have happened.

Then again the bus journey could be the best way if there is no other incidents earlier that is out of anyone's control. Read the blog I quoted you will see this paragraph:

Google Maps said the ride should take 4.5 hours, but 10 hours into the ride they had only moved 30 miles, so the bus turned around and headed back to Baltimore Airport; due to the weather conditions two trucks flipped over, blocking traffic.
And in the end I quite agree with the blogger's opinion:

This is a horrible, horrible situation, and I’m still trying to process what I make of it. Is it American’s fault that the flight diverted? No. Is it American’s fault that the weather was so bad that trucks flipped and a 30 mile ride took 10 hours? No. Is it American’s fault (specifically) that the couple decided to run across the street (presumably not at a crosswalk)? No.
And I would add an interesting question to people here who is familiar with American justice system:

Would Ms. Kuo have any liabilities since she made (or suggested) the elderly couple crossing road in an unsafe condition?

Again I am not denying that she had been helpful. I am just not so sure if she made a wise suggestion to cross the road assessing the physical condition of the elderly couple and the weather condition of the road.

After all this is a road accident due to carelessly road crossing pedestrians. I really hope things settle at this point. Any more legal or moral discussion will end up with airlines stop chartering ground transportation for stranded passengers in future, which is actually not beneficial to consumers. I will leave the argument here as I think the quoted blog did a great job to tell readers what happened and what needs to be considered to make your own judgement.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:33 pm

The Washington Post has an article.

It says that "The driver who struck the couple stopped immediately to render aid and was not found to be impaired, Aberdeen police spokesman Will Reiber said.“The pedestrians were struck while wearing dark clothing as they were crossing the roadway in a non-crosswalk area,” Reiber said, adding that the storm and time of the accident had led to “pretty much blackout conditions.”

- - -- -

Unwitting, the Good Samaritan led them astray, crossing a 4 lane undivided highway (5 lane if you count the left turn lane) to Applebee's, a sit down restaurant without fast service, like McDonalds. They were concerned about missing the bus so going to Applebee's was the wrong thing to do. That led to a series of events that resulted in injuries.

Much of the complaints comes with diverted flights. Instead of stranding the passengers for a day or so in Baltimore, they chartered buses. The bus company could have checked the online traffic report to see a slowdown at the bridge past Aberdeen, MD but normally those slowdowns get cleared in an hour or two.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by malgudi
I hope neither you or your family are ever in a situation like this. But if you are, by some unfortunate turn of events, I would like to see how you respond then.
What would you have liked AA to do differently (the topic of this thread)? That's all I'm commenting on. No doubt that this situation was miserable, as I said. AA could have left the passengers at BWI, but they probably would have been excoriated for not chartering a bus if they did, given Internet logic. It seems there weren't any hotel rooms. AA doesn't have much control over highway conditions on I-95, last I checked, and I don't fault them for having a broken crystal ball about the changing road conditions that ultimately closed the road. Maybe they could have chartered a better bus (but maybe not; as I said, it's entirely possible there was nothing better available), and I have no idea what the communication was like at BWI -- it's easy to imagine that AA didn't do a great job of communicating options. If it took ten hours to go 30 miles on I-95, I'm not sure how the bus could realistically have pulled off to a rest area before they did.

Of course, as someone on FlyerTalk, I'm almost certainly a far more seasoned traveller than the passengers in this story. Even if I were travelling in China (where I know not a word of the language or the character set), I'd almost certainly be better equipped to handle the situation by virtue of my experience, so I am privileged to be in a situation where I can't really empathize from personal experience. But I still try.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by malgudi
Not sure I understand your post. I get the unfortunate stress on the individuals -- particularly those who do not speak English -- but Is there something you believe AA should have done differently?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Only real fault I can think of on AA's part is minor - better communication/organization would have been nice. In the macro sense, it sounds like they tried to do what they thought best: get the pax onto a bus to New York.

I flew *out* of NYC that morning. While we knew the bomb cyclone was on its way, the roads weren't bad. I took an uneventful Lyft out to EWR and flew out before it got too bad. It was more of a wind event at that point - something that would definitely affect La Guardia - but not a blizzard that would shut down all surface traffic. Someone in Baltimore might have judged that bus travel was still safe even though flying was not. Obviously a couple trucks getting into a wreck can change things in a hurry.

Feels like AA maybe needs to get some better bus vendors (?). I know little about how that part works...

Still not sure why people left the McDonald's to begin with. It was crowded? OK, I'm still not walking across a four-lane highway to find another crowded restaurant.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Still not sure why people left the McDonald's to begin with. It was crowded? OK, I'm still not walking across a four-lane highway to find another crowded restaurant.
When you've got to go...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:47 pm

Epic storm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:53 pm

I hope the passengers make a full recovery.
Having said that, don't believe AA has any responsibility here.
No one would be pointing the finger at AA if they had been rerouted on DL, and the pax got injured making a connection in ATL en route to their final destination.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
What a tragic situation for the Chinese tourist couple. Thanks to Ms. Kuo, they had an advocate.
I can't shake the feeling that the good intentions of the good samaritan led to the accident in the first place. Crossing that type of road in poor visibility and dark clothing is really dangerous.

Originally Posted by cedric
I hope the passengers make a full recovery.
^
C17PSGR and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I can't shake the feeling that the good intentions of the good samaritan led to the accident in the first place. Crossing that type of road in poor visibility and dark clothing is really dangerous.

^
Particularly considering they had a hard time understanding the entire situation. At a minimum, they could easily have missed the bus and been stuck at the rest stop without speaking the language.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
it's been a while but I had a flight cancelled a few years ago and we were all put on a bus. It was within an hour and I was wondering how AA put things together that quickly. I suspected that maybe there were some bus lines with IDIQ contracts keeping buses around the airport just in case they could quickly pick up some work.
It's not uncommon for the airlines down here in the Florida panhandle during winter fog season to fly to the nearest airport with decent visibility and then charter bus people to the scheduled destination from there. So I always assumed the head of the station did indeed have a list of acceptable vendors on file.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
it's been a while but I had a flight cancelled a few years ago and we were all put on a bus. It was within an hour and I was wondering how AA put things together that quickly. I suspected that maybe there were some bus lines with IDIQ contracts keeping buses around the airport just in case they could quickly pick up some work.
I had this happen, but it took about 4 hours before we were on a bus heading ouf of Dulles. I remember them saying it would be 3. There was a snowstorm when we were LAX- JFK and we got diverted to Dulles (IAD)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.