Wiki Posts
Search

Holding flights for CKs the new norm?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Holding flights for CKs the new norm?

Maybe this qualifies as something petty, but tonight my flight was held until T-2, yes, TWO minutes prior to departure on a CRJ700 for a single CK in first class. That’s eight minutes after the published cut-off time for doors closing. FWIW the flight pushed back 5 minutes late because the GA had to finalize paperwork after the CK boarded.

how do I know it was a CK? The captain spent 10 minutes explaining to the FC cabin that a “VIP” was coming to make the flight.

I normally wouldn’t care, but after having a GA close doors at T-11 because she thought me and my family wouldn’t make it (infant in tow) and forced an overnight stay at our expense st DFW, I’m quite pissed.

Maybe this belongs in another thread, but it’s absolute proof that the rules only apply to the unwashed masses below CK.

Full disclaimer: this post won’t change anything but it makes me feel better.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Personally, even though I'm not a CK, I'm all for that.
Particularly at outstations or at the last flight of the day, they may have more flexibility. At the hubs, not so much as pushing back late may have unintended consequences.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’m still curious how you knew the passenger was a CK. A VIP wouldn’t necessarily be a CK.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Maybe this qualifies as something petty,
It sure does.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m still curious how you knew the passenger was a CK. A VIP wouldn’t necessarily be a CK.
True. The other pax could be an executive of AA. They could be an AA pilot flying positive space/'must travel' in order to pilot a flight elsewhere in the system (possibly the next day given all the weather disruptions lately).

[note that I'm not certain that the term "must travel" is the correct one used by the airline industry, but the meaning is similar]
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
It sure does.
was hesitant to post this but coming back from Oslo last month we were booked ORD-DFW and the AC angel got us on the ORD-AUS flight so we could get home. Ran to gate..... And the very unhappy GA re-opened the gate to let us in. We got friendly banter from the FA. 5 others got on after us. And we are just low value EXP and PPro. That was a first, and probably the last time.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
True. The other pax could be an executive of AA. They could be an AA pilot flying positive space/'must travel' in order to pilot a flight elsewhere in the system (possibly the next day given all the weather disruptions lately).

[note that I'm not certain that the term "must travel" is the correct one used by the airline industry, but the meaning is similar]
The CK tag on his backpack was a dead giveaway. This was at DFW on a flight to an out station.

I just wish there was some sort of consistency with the rules they publish.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It wasn't a CK. It was Parker. He was late leaving the AA lounge as he was looking for salted patted butter.
econometrics likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:36 am

Could have been FAM, Five-star customer, etc. Definitely not necessarily CK.

Was it last flight of the day? If so, nobody was in danger of missing connections and if truly a CK/VIP/high-value customer- especially one coming in on a delayed connection- probably a decent business idea to 'hold' the plane for this customer (said slightly in jest, as flight still left on time).

BTW- amazing customer service if the captain literally spent 10 mins explaining the situation to a 9-passenger CRJ700 first class cabin. Seems highly unnecessary to do that if the flight actually still pushed back on time. Kudos to that captain.
JDiver and C17PSGR like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Maybe this belongs in another thread, but it’s absolute proof that the rules only apply to the unwashed masses ...
VIPs getting special treatment? Welcome to... every company ever, I guess.

Also, I know folks on FT love to freak out about "THE NEW NORM" whenever a single anecdote suits their narrative, but there's no evidence whatsoever that this is the new norm, nor that this person was given special treatment solely due to their CK status.
dickinson likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I agree that a passenger being CK may have played a role, but possible that it is not a benefit for CK.

Hard to think that an airlines will guaantee to hold flights for certain passengers all the time.

My understanding is that gate agent alone cannot decide to hold a flight. Gate agent can make a request to hold a flight, premium service agent assigned to that CK passenger that day can make avrequestbto hold connecting flight, but I was told that the decision comes from operation at Ft. Forth.

Last flight of the day may influence, but if crew overnight at a destination then minimum rest period will be considered. Will holding a flight delay a flight next day?

I did experince having connecting flight being on hold and I was never CK. When I lived at L.A. I experieced more than once first flight of the day at LAX, 6 a.m. departure, was put on hold to accommoate connecting passengers from red eye Hawaii flights.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I think people are missing the point here, the OP has a legitimate gripe. Gate agents have closed the gate/flight early to help get the plane out on time, however, there are times when connecting passengers are late arriving at the gate because of the flight the flight they just got off was late. Gate agents have all the info at their fingertips regarding who is connecting passengers and the issue that is causing the late arrival. So if the airline is willing to hold for one passenger why can't they wait for others?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think people are missing the point here, the OP has a legitimate gripe. Gate agents have closed the gate/flight early to help get the plane out on time, however, there are times when connecting passengers are late arriving at the gate because of the flight the flight they just got off was late. Gate agents have all the info at their fingertips regarding who is connecting passengers and the issue that is causing the late arrival. So if the airline is willing to hold for one passenger why can't they wait for others?
AA obviously and logically values a small subset of customers over every other customer, and should do things for them which they would not do for most others. A couple years ago AA published that over 80% of their passengers only fly once a year. Logic says they are not going to give special treatment for a non-loyal customer who will choose their travels based on price/schedule and not loyalty.
Big question is where to draw the line. Do you cap it at the 1% of customers (or whatever) who are CK and EXP? The 3% who are PPRO, Plat and Gold? Anyone flying first class? Etc. But I firmly believe some passengers deserve to be treated differently than others given their worth to the business.

Also, every scenario is different. Are we talking 1 potential missed connection due to a late arriving inbound, or 20? Is it the last flight of the day? Is crew running out of duty time? Every variable likely factors into the gate agent action.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:11 pm

I've had a connecting flight held for my wife and I post-departure-time as non-revs (she's an airline employee). I've also, very recently, arrived at a connecting gate in MIA at T-11 minutes (3 of us paid F, 2 as EXPs) only to find the flight was closed early.

YMMV
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dave_261
Do you cap it at the 1% of customers (or whatever) who are CK and EXP? The 3% who are PPRO, Plat and Gold? Anyone flying first class? Etc. But I firmly believe some passengers deserve to be treated differently than others given their worth to the business.
Status might not factor in at all - it could be a customer who flies less than once per year but from whom a negative tweet would have more impact on the business than hundreds of "loyal" customers. Just ask SNAP. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.