Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does an SPG flight book into special fare?

Old Mar 2, 18, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver

Posted this question over in the SPG forum and did not get any answers. Looking to see if anyone has booked an SPG Flight (little talked about feature of SPG can book flights directly on their site with their points) on AA, want to know if it showed up as a special fare? i.e. 10% EQD on distance. Think I searched the forum but could not find a precise answer. Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences.
Old Mar 4, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by talltoddtravels View Post
Posted this question over in the SPG forum and did not get any answers. Looking to see if anyone has booked an SPG Flight (little talked about feature of SPG can book flights directly on their site with their points) on AA, want to know if it showed up as a special fare? i.e. 10% EQD on distance. Think I searched the forum but could not find a precise answer. Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences.

I think you are talking about the "nights and flights" benefit for Category 3 and 4 hotels. I've done that. They don't actually book you flights, they give you 50,000 AA miles so you can book an AA award (or let them sit in your AA account until you want them for something else). So you have to find award availability at AAdvantage and book using the miles yourself. It will post as what it is -- an award flight.

That said, in the right circumstance, it can be a pretty sweet deal.
Old Mar 5, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 466SHH View Post
I think you are talking about the "nights and flights" benefit for Category 3 and 4 hotels. I've done that. They don't actually book you flights, they give you 50,000 AA miles so you can book an AA award (or let them sit in your AA account until you want them for something else). So you have to find award availability at AAdvantage and book using the miles yourself. It will post as what it is -- an award flight.

That said, in the right circumstance, it can be a pretty sweet deal.
I am actually talking about just SPG flights... https://www.spgflights.com/travel/arc.cfm?tab=a .... I did not know anything about it just stubbled upon it in their site...
Old Mar 5, 18, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't have a lot of experience with that option but it booked into regular published fares. If you pick a popular route, say JFK-LAX or JFK-LHR, I could conceive that the portal used for booking might have a negotiated fare.
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Itís probably similar to purchasing a ticket through Amex Travel with Membership Reward Points. Instead of Amex, itís another third party TA, ďConnexionsĒ.

i would assume itís credited like a regular purchase, but maybe search for Amex MR examples.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: