Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I read an article a little while back that said AA was working on allowing access to ViaSat via GoGo credentials.
Hoping this turns out to be true and soon! Growing a little annoyed being on the A332 SFO-PHL-SFO and not able to use my monthly GoGo service. Timing for this AC works best for me and would hate to have to alter my schedule just to avoid it for Internet unless I'm doubling down for payments.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Some folks (myself included) aren't allowed to install an app onto a corporate laptop.

But some folks (myself included) work in I.T. so we figure out ways to get around this.
Because I don't want to. Apps are intrusive and should be unnecessary. This is on AA for completely us all over with yet another diversified product in a decision that makes absolutely no sense. Pick a provider and stick with them.

And yes, I can get around it. I'm an IT professional. But I don't want to do it, and I won't.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:22 am

Speeds / pricing

Originally Posted by akarneboge
There is already a product called iPass which gets you access to wi-fi all over the world, not just on airplanes. It, however, requires an app to be open on your device, making it a non-option for me.
In my experience speeds between providers are relatively the same ie pretty slow. Inflight WiFi is great for low bandwidth applications like email or text but often, as mentioned in previous posts, the bandwidth is shared and throughput per user tends to degrade. Thst also means the more folks start to use inflight the more our collective experience will degrade .

Not complaining much though it's great to stay connect on what would otherwise be dead time from a work productivity perspective. In term of alternatives there are a fair few others out there such as iPass, I think they are only for enterprise users however, alternatively you could look at the likes of CPH Travel WiFi which is comparable to iPass and uses much of the same underlying networks. CPH's pricing is also pretty competitive but not sure how long that will last as it seems too good to be true.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Hdw000
In my experience speeds between providers are relatively the same ie pretty slow. Inflight WiFi is great for low bandwidth applications like email or text but often, as mentioned in previous posts, the bandwidth is shared and throughput per user tends to degrade. Thst also means the more folks start to use inflight the more our collective experience will degrade <snipped>
But, they are NOT all pretty slow. That is the point of the thread
Old May 22, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Because I don't want to. Apps are intrusive and should be unnecessary. This is on AA for completely us all over with yet another diversified product in a decision that makes absolutely no sense. Pick a provider and stick with them. And yes, I can get around it. I'm an IT professional. But I don't want to do it, and I won't.
Times change, man. If "pick and stick" is your criteria, we'd have 2G GoGo for the rest of our lives.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:03 am

Mobile versus inflight

Originally Posted by mvoight
My point was they are slow in comparison to terrestrial services like fixed broadband and 3G/4G but the technology's and bandwidth capabilities are similar so in theory the speeds can be xomparable but the providers havent figured out the capacity vs economies of scale yet to give people a comparable service. Therefore its slower.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA has 3 different wifi providers

1. Panasonic Satellite Wifi (your DFW-NRT flight)
2. Gogo cellular ground based wifi (domestic aircraft)
3. Viasat Satellite Wifi (replacing Gogo)

1 and 3 are significantly faster. Gogo is basically connecting to a cell tower far below. Now imagine splitting cellular 3G/4G over an entire plane.
Four. Your'e missing Gogo 2ku, rapidly installing on A320's, 319's, and 752's. It is way better than Panasonic and truly gate to gate.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Try flying JetBlue - I could comfortably stream YouTube, Amazon Prime, and others. And I wasn't the only person either.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
Try flying JetBlue - I could comfortably stream YouTube, Amazon Prime, and others. And I wasn't the only person either.
As well as on newer AA WIFI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.