Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA actively trying to kill SFO-LAX?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How bad is this, really?

I have a held (not yet booked) award reservation SFO-LAX-LHR. SFO-LAX is on the E175 (AA 6045, operated by Compass Airlines as American Eagle). LAX0-LHR is on AA 136. The connection would be 57 minutes.

Is that long enough? Can I get to the international terminal without clearing security again?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Does AA treat this as a bookable connection (i.e., meets MCT)? If so, feel free to try it. Its on the threshold of acceptability for SCT given that you have to transfer from the Eagles Nest to T4 - and you're transitioning to an international flight which means they will start boarding 45 minutes before scheduled departure.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat United Premier Silver Hilton Diamond Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How bad is this, really?

I have a held (not yet booked) award reservation SFO-LAX-LHR. SFO-LAX is on the E175 (AA 6045, operated by Compass Airlines as American Eagle). LAX0-LHR is on AA 136. The connection would be 57 minutes.

Is that long enough? Can I get to the international terminal without clearing security again?
No need to reclear but you have to take the bus. Sounds like an IROP waitng to happen. I'd taken an earlier flight. and if you're flying in J or have status then get a long layover and enjoy the FL
Spiff and embarcadero1 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
How bad is this, really?

Its within the MCT, and I think 57 minutes is long enough to make it; but I wouldn't try it myself – unless I was in J or F and I could see that there is plenty of space on the later BA flight.

There is no security to worry about, but you have to wait for the bus to T4. Also, it is possible to arrive at the Eagle's Nest and there be no gate available, which means a remote gate and bus to the Eagle's Nest, before you then wait for another bus!!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Does AA treat this as a bookable connection (i.e., meets MCT)? If so, feel free to try it. Its on the threshold of acceptability for SCT given that you have to transfer from the Eagles Nest to T4 - and you're transitioning to an international flight which means they will start boarding 45 minutes before scheduled departure.
I have the reservation held; I assume that they perform that check before creating the PNR.

It was actually the default (top of the list) option that they offered me for the search; I didn't seek out a tight connection or anything.

I've never been to this terminal so I don't really know the details of the Eagles nest -- that's why I'm asking.

I'm thinking that I should try to grab an earlier flight...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Its within the MCT, and I think 57 minutes is long enough to make it; but I wouldn't try it myself – unless I was in J or F and I could see that there is plenty of space on the later BA flight.

There is no security to worry about, but you have to wait for the bus to T4. Also, it is possible to arrive at the Eagle's Nest and there be no gate available, which means a remote gate and bus to the Eagle's Nest, before you then wait for another bus!!
It's a J award. I'm probably just going to try to find an earlier flight. Thanks, everyone.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have the reservation held; I assume that they perform that check before creating the PNR.

It was actually the default (top of the list) option that they offered me for the search; I didn't seek out a tight connection or anything.

I've never been to this terminal so I don't really know the details of the Eagles nest -- that's why I'm asking.

I'm thinking that I should try to grab an earlier flight...
I fly SFO-LAX-LHR every couple months and have only once had the guts to take a connection this short. I always try for a 90+ minute connection at least when flying international from the regional gates. The Eagle's Nest has gotten better, but it's definitely still a gamble.

Some things to note:

- ATC at SFO and LAX often implement flow programs to limit the amount of traffic going up and down the coast. This usually results in a 30+ minute delay when affected plus additional time to get a takeoff time. If your inbound flight is affected by one of these programs, your flight will almost certainly be affected as well because the E175 aircrafts flying SFO/LAX only ever arrive as LAX/SFO.
- Once you arrive at LAX, you're almost always landing on the runway on the opposite side of LAX. This means a lengthy taxi around TBIT and to the opposite end of the airport. The timetable takes this into account, but still worth noting. It's a long way!
- The Eagle's Nest often has an issue with open gates. In addition to the above, you may have to wait for an open gate.
- Once you arrive at the Eagle's Nest, there's often a line already formed waiting for busses to take you to T4/T5. I've never waited anymore than 5m in this line, but that 5m can be critical on a connection this short.
- And, finally, once you're on the bus to T4/T5, any traffic on the apron will put the bus at a stop.

All-in-all, I'd recommend getting on another SFO-LAX leg if you cannot get it as an award, you can always do a SDFC.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all great advice. I canceled my hold and put a hold on a much earlier SFO-LAX flight, a 3 hour connection, and the earlier LAX-LHR flight (AA 108) as well. That seems to give me a lot of options in case of issues.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to F (solo seat) in the E175. New product for me. Looking forward to flagship business on the 77W much, much, more
potus18 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:23 pm
E55

Good move.
This is all great advice. I canceled my hold and put a hold on a much earlier SFO-LAX flight, a 3 hour connection, and the earlier LAX-LHR flight (AA 108) as well. That seems to give me a lot of options in case of issues.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to F (solo seat) in the E175. New product for me. Looking forward to flagship business on the 77W much, much, more
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Maybe you guys can help me out too...

A few months ago I booked AA flights in J LHR-LAX on March 12th and SFO-LAX-LHR on March 20th.

The return from SFO is on AA6040 with an original departure time at 4.00 pm arriving in LAX at 5.18 pm, then connecting on to AA108 at 7.25 pm. That connection would have given me a little over 2 hours and I thought this should be doable.

Now the flight times for AA6040 changed to 4.05 pm with arrival at 5.50 pm - only leaving me 95 Minutes. Is this still doable under todays circumstances or should I ask AA to rebook me to an earlier flight? Will they change the flights without any charge? And this connection will probably even in the best case not give me any time in the LAX FL?

Any advice from you knowledgeable guys for an AA newbie is very appreciated!

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Mr. LAU; Dec 30, 2018 at 6:13 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Maybe you guys can help me out too...

A few months ago I booked AA flights in J LHR-LAX on March 12th and SFO-LAX-LHR on March 20th.

The return from SFO is on AA6040 with an original departure time at 4.00 pm arriving in LAX at 5.18 pm, then connecting on to AA108 at 7.25 pm. That connection would have given me a little over 2 hours and I thought this should be doable.

Now the flight times for AA6040 changed to 4.05 pm with arrival at 5.50 pm - only leaving me 95 Minutes. Is this still doable under todays circumstances or should I ask AA to rebook me to an earlier flight? Will they change the flights without any charge? And this connection will probably even in the best case not give me any time in the LAX FL?

Any advice from you knowledgeable guys for an AA newbie is very appreciated!

Thank you for your help!
This is a MCT connection and is do-able from the Eagle's Nest to T4. As far as change fees go, the CoC states that the difference in arrival time must be greater than 120 minutes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html), but I've never had issues with getting the change fee waived when a schedule change made a connection tighter. I'd call and ask to be put on the 2:40pm flight.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by potus18
This is a MCT connection and is do-able from the Eagle's Nest to T4. As far as change fees go, the CoC states that the difference in arrival time must be greater than 120 minutes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html), but I've never had issues with getting the change fee waived when a schedule change made a connection tighter. I'd call and ask to be put on the 2:40pm flight.
Wow - great service from AA! Just called the German line and the nice guy changed the flight from SFO to LAX to the earlier flight at 2.40 pm without any fuss and problems and not even mentioning a change fee!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Wow - great service from AA! Just called the German line and the nice guy changed the flight from SFO to LAX to the earlier flight at 2.40 pm without any fuss and problems and not even mentioning a change fee!
Like a few others here, I do SFO-LAX-LHR many times per year and if you're in J (or OW Sapphire and above) then it is better to take an earlier connection and enjoy the lounges in LAX.

This is especially true when traveling Jan-April since the weather at SFO can easily disrupt all SFO-LAX flights. Twice last winter I got re-booked onto the BA nonstop SFO-LHR (with notification at 7am) because of the weather in SFO (one time) and LAX (the other). My SWU had already cleared and so I was rebooked into BA J and earned 3* EQM
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Are people intentionally doing this route bc of or award travel or upgrades? This is a lot of work, stress, time, etc. vs just taking BA out of SFO or SJC direct to LHR, which is pretty easy to do logistically.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Are people intentionally doing this route bc of or award travel or upgrades? This is a lot of work, stress, time, etc. vs just taking BA out of SFO or SJC direct to LHR, which is pretty easy to do logistically.
I booked mine as an award. Saved about $600 in whatever BA is calling their BS fees this week.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.