Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA actively trying to kill SFO-LAX?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I lived at L. A. for 12 years and It is hard to read what is AA's plan for intra-west coast flights.

I understand Southwest dominates intra-California market. L.A. - S.F. is both end with large metropolitan area served by multiple airports. Southwest has non-stop flights between various airports pairs between L.A. - S.F. which makes very convenient for travelers between L.A. and S.F. area. Simply having LAX - SFO is not enough to compete in L.A. - S.F. market.

When AA acquired AirCal in 1987, then AA acquired Reno Air in 1999, each time looked as AA was serious about West Coast operation but soon after the acquisition intra West Caost routes started shrinking.

Yes, there is an example of LAX - LAS going to EAAgle then later return to main line but that is exception. LAX - SJC is tough to blame AA because that was dot com bubble bursting.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I lived at L. A. for 12 years and It is hard to read what is AA's plan for intra-west coast flights.

I understand Southwest dominates intra-California market. L.A. - S.F. is both end with large metropolitan area served by multiple airports. Southwest has non-stop flights between various airports pairs between L.A. - S.F. which makes very convenient for travelers between L.A. and S.F. area. Simply having LAX - SFO is not enough to compete in L.A. - S.F. market.

When AA acquired AirCal in 1987, then AA acquired Reno Air in 1999, each time looked as AA was serious about West Coast operation but soon after the acquisition intra West Caost routes started shrinking.

Yes, there is an example of LAX - LAS going to EAAgle then later return to main line but that is exception. LAX - SJC is tough to blame AA because that was dot com bubble bursting.
It was AA not understanding how to compete with WN and other carriers on the west coast. WN increased service dramatically from SJC while AA was dumping it
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Flying into or out of the "Eagle's Nest" is not ideal. However, with the addition of the Admirals Club, and the smaller shuttle buses which run frequently and promptly compared to what they replaced, the "Nest" experience is vastly improved.

Furthermore, arriving "early" and then waiting for a gate regularly happens at T4 and T5.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by zebranz
makes sense to me when I need a late flight out and can't make the Virgin departure at 9pm and AA has at 10pm- not the best but you take what you can get.
Yes 45A is the old NW gates in Term 1. At least it is connected airside to Term 2.
AA and UA have comparable schedules: AA has a 10:35 SFO-LAX and 10:55 LAX-SFO. It's true that the E175s are plenty comfortable and the flight crew is quite friendly, but the extra overhead is really unacceptable. (On a SFO-LAX flight again waiting for a gate, surprise surprise...)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by jcatman
Furthermore, arriving "early" and then waiting for a gate regularly happens at T4 and T5.
Not as frequently and not as long of a wait for a T4/T5 terminal compared to Eagle.

Yes, the bus situation has somewhat improved. Unfortunately, it still isn't the most pleasant experience, and there are times you can find yourself waiting up to 10m for a bus.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Is it possible to walk to the Eagle’s Nest from T4/5, or do you have to take the shuttle bus?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcatman
Flying into or out of the "Eagle's Nest" is not ideal. However, with the addition of the Admirals Club, and the smaller shuttle buses which run frequently and promptly compared to what they replaced, the "Nest" experience is vastly improved.
This is what vastly improved looked like today - extra 30 mins from getting to Eagles to landside... LAX w/eagles is looking to tie with LHR for worst large airport (well, at least they both have fine lounges)...

Eagle shuttle line

Line goes all the way to the AC
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Is it possible to walk to the Eagle’s Nest from T4/5, or do you have to take the shuttle bus?

Thanks
shuttle is required to connect. It's the bottle neck we all hate when delayed leaving SFO or waiting on the field in LA for a gate. All too often I'm use to aiming for the 5:30 pm flight knowing full well that the 7 or 8:30 flight out of SFO will connect with my flight to Asia. I've convinced myself that it just allows me more time to enjoy Qantas FL that much longer if I'm on the 5:30 departure!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius

Thanks
No, you have to take the bus. It is in a remote part of the airport and you can't walk to another gate or baggage claim/street level even if you wanted to.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by no2chem
This is what vastly improved looked like today - extra 30 mins from getting to Eagles to landside... LAX w/eagles is looking to tie with LHR for worst large airport (well, at least they both have fine lounges)...

Eagle shuttle line

Line goes all the way to the AC
thats awful! Never saw it that bad. What time was it?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan

thats awful! Never saw it that bad. What time was it?
8:50am... Yeah, it's the worst I've seen it yet.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:05 am

Won't the new proposal for the intra-terminal tram/train/PM/whatever-you-want-to-call-it correct this situation in the future?

Doesn't help now, but in the big picture it's not too far off.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Won't the new proposal for the intra-terminal tram/train/PM/whatever-you-want-to-call-it correct this situation in the future?

Doesn't help now, but in the big picture it's not too far off.
No, the proposed people mover will run landside and connect all terminals to the remote parking, rental car, and ground transportation facilities. The Eagle's Nest is connected to T4 and T5 airside by these shuttle buses; these buses will be the only way to get to and from the Nest as long as it's in operation.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I agree that it is NOT "not a big deal", at least on the LAX side of things, mainly due to the eagle's nest issue. (gate valet checked bags to wait for, bus wait, bus transit time, etc). And this is particularly true for a commuter hop LAX-SFO.
I did not mind the eagle's nest when connecting from SAN to a long haul from LAX though (but for a long haul, the eagle's nest bus ride is less than 5% of total trip time)

And then there is also having to circle around half the airport to get to LAX T4/T5, which can add easily 15-20 mins to the airport ride.

For me, WN is a no brainer for this 1.5 hrs flight. And WN is at LAX T1, the first terminal as you enter the airport (shave 15 mins to your airport commute time).
Or DL.
Unless AA is significantly cheaper than the above.

(LAX-SFO flights don't do much for me if chasing EQM or EQD)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
ugh the nest. The worst is when you have to remote stand at the Eagles nest. Then it is a bus to the nest followed by a bus to T4.

LA(t)WA : Los Angeles (third) World Airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.