Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (& UA) negotiating move to new ORD “Global” terminal > 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA (& UA) negotiating move to new ORD “Global” terminal > 2024

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trvlr70
UA & DL would fill that void so fast it would make your head spin!
With DL at DTW and MSP ORD is not needed and would be a waste. UA and LCC's would take over.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
With DL at DTW and MSP ORD is not needed and would be a waste. UA and LCC's would take over.
Chicago is an economic powerhouse that Detroit and Minneapolis can't match even together. O&D flights are the big money makers. UA would jump at the chance to create an unrivaled hub in the city. And every other airline has historically tried to get a foothold at ORD.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
AA had another hub not far from there. If the city wants to give backroom deals (allegedly) to UA, then AA could always pull out and go back to ORD as a spoke vice hub. I’m sure their previous airport in the region would be happy to have them back.

Not that something like that would happen, but how far up the creek without a paddle would ORD be if if did? Dropping 37% of your business probably isn’t the smartest plan. Of course neither is cutting your nose off to spite your face by vetoing much needed improvements for years and years.
AA doesn't have much leverage here, their lease ends in May 2018. The leverage that AA and UA have exalted on O'hare the past 30 years has contributed to its decline. Putting this press release out on what was supposed to be the Godfather's biggest day of Mayor is unlikely to go over very well for AA moving forward (regardless of how this is settled).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:43 pm

Gotta at least try to counteract UA'a natural advantage with the Mayor and City of being the largest local employer.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by singal3
AA doesn't have much leverage here, their lease ends in May 2018. The leverage that AA and UA have exalted on O'hare the past 30 years has contributed to its decline. Putting this press release out on what was supposed to be the Godfather's biggest day of Mayor is unlikely to go over very well for AA moving forward (regardless of how this is settled).
AA has 37% market share. How do you carve that out from the bond issue? I don't think you can.

AA knows what it is doing. As usual, I don't think Emanuel does.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
AA has 37% market share. How do you carve that out from the bond issue? I don't think you can.

AA knows what it is doing. As usual, I don't think Emanuel does.
Tough to have market share when you don't have a lease on gates. That 37% can go elsewhere, I'm sure Delta/United would be thrilled to pick up the slack. I think AA is overplaying it's hand and will fall into line. I understand the lack of confidence in Rahm, however, I don't understand the love for Parker.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Now AA is opposing the expansion, citing a last-minute-back-room deal the city made with UA

American Airlines opposes Emanuel?s $8.5B O?Hare expansion, alleges secret deal cut with United - Chicago Tribune
And here’s a View from the Wing blog article as well, highlighting an internal memo to AA staff: What American Airlines is Telling Employees About Their Dispute With Chicago O’Hare, by Gary Leff on February 28, 2018

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...chicago-ohare/
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Opening in 2124 is more likely
Actually, it's 2024, not 2124.

Originally Posted by swingaling
So if UA gets space in the new terminal, that means their Polaris lounge will open in 2034?
Wrong! They will open it up in 2024, not 2034.

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Yeah, could be. UA & LCC will take over by replace AA. Nobody knows for sure. If Delta will get a new ORD hub. Not unless if AA will leaves ORD hub.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, could be. UA & LCC will take over by replace AA. Nobody knows for sure. If Delta will get a new ORD hub. Not unless if AA will leaves ORD hub.
What?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Highest taxes in the country and a city and state walking a fine line to complete insolvency PLUS being the one major metro that seems to be in decline in regards to the information economy PLUS highest crime rate doesn't equal economic powerhouse.

It's not even a profitable fortress hub. Why not just make it a strong connecting airport, use St. Louis to once again be a Midwest hub (not a big one) and run a lot more flights through Dallas?

Originally Posted by trvlr70
Chicago is an economic powerhouse that Detroit and Minneapolis can't match even together. O&D flights are the big money makers. UA would jump at the chance to create an unrivaled hub in the city. And every other airline has historically tried to get a foothold at ORD.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Highest taxes in the country
Which country?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
As long as they keep space for the F4F Wildcat!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Highest taxes in the country and a city and state walking a fine line to complete insolvency PLUS being the one major metro that seems to be in decline in regards to the information economy PLUS highest crime rate doesn't equal economic powerhouse.

It's not even a profitable fortress hub. Why not just make it a strong connecting airport, use St. Louis to once again be a Midwest hub (not a big one) and run a lot more flights through Dallas?

Wow. ORD isn't profitable, what is your source for that? Also what does crime rate, sales tax rate have to do with current economic output of Chicago?
DataPlumber likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wrong! They will open it up in 2024, not 2034.
With the pace of airport construction projects, opening in 2034 is more likely than in 2024.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Austin787
With the pace of airport construction projects, opening in 2034 is more likely than in 2024.
I think some people are just hyper literal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.