Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (& UA) negotiating move to new ORD “Global” terminal > 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA (& UA) negotiating move to new ORD “Global” terminal > 2024

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
If the negotiations conclude as hoped, it eliminates the T3 <—-> T-5 trek. Let us hope ORD becomes the third Airport to offer ITI baggage through-checking (as currently offered in DFW, MIA) so AA, AY, BA, CX, IB, QR and other interline partners could offer ITI from Asia, Europe or Middle East onward to S. America, etc. (Even better would be airside flight connections separate from immigration, but that almost seems too much to hope, like AA declining to through check on separate ticketing.)

Airport construction being what it is, 2030?
Looking at the intended terminal map, I am getting a very confused picture. If you look at the map closely, you can find the intended Satellite Terminal 1 (S1), which connect to the current United Satellite Terminal, will be the main wide body gates before T2 being demolished. So that would be the main international departures and arrivals for T1 and T3. If that is the case, the Satellite 2 (S2) which will be connected via underground train to the main terminal via S1, is actually all narrow body gates (assume to be domestic only). So, how the airport is going to handle the international arrivals before T2 is rebuilt? Then, how do you handle the arrivals from S2 to the main terminal via assumed international only S1? Assume the new T2 main wing is for international traffic as well, that means split operation in T2 and S1 for internationals. Headaches already before we even think about ITI procedures...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Having done outbound Intl-to-Intl connections at both YYZ and YUL, the mechanism in place there would be a vast improvement over what is currently required. As you imply, the dedicated flight connection stream makes all the difference. The introduction of through-checked baggage at some ports of entry is a step in the right direction as noted earlier.
Seems to me extremely unlikely that ORD would try to build a TWOV -- transit without visa -- setup since it currently isn't permitted. And, in my view, the only airport where there could potentially be enough connecting international to international traffic to justify a setup would be Miami.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
So it looks like United will benefit most from this. Terminal 3 doesn't look to get much love as it is the original footprint like Terminal 2 is now. AA's gates need to widened out too. I also wonder if there will be an airside connection from Terminal 5 to the others. I hate having to transfer terminals landslide when needing to switch airlines. This is on advantage to ORD today unless you have to trek over to 5 which for me is almost never.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by saxman66
So it looks like United will benefit most from this. Terminal 3 doesn't look to get much love as it is the original footprint like Terminal 2 is now. AA's gates need to widened out too. I also wonder if there will be an airside connection from Terminal 5 to the others. I hate having to transfer terminals landslide when needing to switch airlines. This is on advantage to ORD today unless you have to trek over to 5 which for me is almost never.
The way it looks to be planned is that Terminal 5 will only be airlines that don't really connect at ORD. AA and UA's partners will all be in the main terminal. Wonder where Alaska will be .... since it can codeshare and connect with AA
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by AAdamE
It's about time! Sounds like A380s are coming to ORD "The 55-year-old Terminal 2 would be torn down to make way for a new “Global Terminal” with wider concourses and gates to accommodate the larger aircraft that embark on international flights to places like Hong Kong and Dubai."
BA is scheduled to fly the 380 to ORD on March or May of this year, 295 I think it is.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Looking at the intended terminal map, I am getting a very confused picture. If you look at the map closely, you can find the intended Satellite Terminal 1 (S1), which connect to the current United Satellite Terminal, will be the main wide body gates before T2 being demolished. So that would be the main international departures and arrivals for T1 and T3. If that is the case, the Satellite 2 (S2) which will be connected via underground train to the main terminal via S1, is actually all narrow body gates (assume to be domestic only). So, how the airport is going to handle the international arrivals before T2 is rebuilt? Then, how do you handle the arrivals from S2 to the main terminal via assumed international only S1? Assume the new T2 main wing is for international traffic as well, that means split operation in T2 and S1 for internationals. Headaches already before we even think about ITI procedures...
You continue to bring all INTL arrivals into T5, so it will still be T5>T1, T3 for departures.

What is being shown on the map is the final layout once everything is completed. As for AS/AA, starting on May 12th, AS/VX (the same but people still see both planes at times) will move over to L2A and L3, this will be through October then they'll be moving over to G2, G4, while B6 gets G6 and AA picks up L2a, L1 and L3.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
You may also want to read the article too The timeline and plan for move are not finalized but they want to maintain current capacity during construction. T5 would continue to be the international terminal while the "Global Terminal" is being built.

From the article:

As the new concourses and gates are built, flights that arrive and depart from Terminal 2 would be relocated to the satellite concourses and an expanded Terminal 5. That would clear the way to tear down the aging Terminal 2 without hindering the airport’s overall capacity and operations, Evans said. The details of exactly which airlines move, in what order and to where is still the subject of intense negotiations, city officials said.
My guess is they build a satellite and move UX to that so United is all in Terminal 1 with 3 concourses. While that is going on they also expand Terminal 5 to move DL over there. Once that is complete then they demolish and rebuild Terminal 2 as the Global Terminal. Once completed they can then rearrange all the airlines and go from there.

Note - I am not 100% sure but I don't see that map in the article so I think the person that posted it may have done so from an article a few months ago and because of that and since this isn't yet formally finalized the ultimate design could be altered.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
I like it the concept. Looking forward to details of the design, interior etc. The current setup is getting very tired and cramped. I'd like to see a dedicated track to facilitate the sprint I always seem to be doing from TSA to H17.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...are/vi-BBJAm9f
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:26 pm

Same video that is in the article in the OP, that is from the Tribune.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Now AA is opposing the expansion, citing a last-minute-back-room deal the city made with UA

American Airlines opposes Emanuel?s $8.5B O?Hare expansion, alleges secret deal cut with United - Chicago Tribune
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Now AA is opposing the expansion, citing a last-minute-back-room deal the city made with UA

American Airlines opposes Emanuel?s $8.5B O?Hare expansion, alleges secret deal cut with United - Chicago Tribune
OMG....how annoying of AA!!! They have basically neglected their ORD operations for 2 decades, letting the hub wither away from it's peak in the early nineties. And suddenly they give a damn. The City should offer the terminal to Delta and call it a day.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:44 am

AA had another hub not far from there. If the city wants to give backroom deals (allegedly) to UA, then AA could always pull out and go back to ORD as a spoke vice hub. I’m sure their previous airport in the region would be happy to have them back.

Not that something like that would happen, but how far up the creek without a paddle would ORD be if if did? Dropping 37% of your business probably isn’t the smartest plan. Of course neither is cutting your nose off to spite your face by vetoing much needed improvements for years and years.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Not that something like that would happen, but how far up the creek without a paddle would ORD be if if did? Dropping 37% of your business probably isn’t the smartest plan. Of course neither is cutting your nose off to spite your face by vetoing much needed improvements for years and years.
UA & DL would fill that void so fast it would make your head spin!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:14 pm

I'm not yet convinced they could, or would be in a position to, honestly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.