Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alcohol service hours policy: Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MathMusic
Alcoholic Beverage Service Hours
in Admirals Clubs

Code:
AIRPORT Open Sunday Sun Note
 ATL 6:00 AM 12:00 PM
 AUS 7:00 AM 12:00 PM
 BNA 8:00 AM 12:00 PM
 BOS 8:00 AM 11:00 AM
 BUF 8:00 AM 10:00 AM
 CLT 7:00 AM 12:00 PM
 DCA 7:00 AM 12:00 PM
 DEN 7:00 AM 7:00 AM
 DFW 7:00 AM 12:00 PM Comp Bev Before Noon
 EWR whenever club is open
 GSO 7:00 AM 12:00 PM
 HNL 6:00 AM 6:00 AM
 JFK 8:00 AM 10:00 AM
 LAX 6:00 AM 6:00 AM
 LGA 8:00 AM 12:00 PM
 MIA 7:00 AM 7:00 AM
 ORD whenever club is open
 PHL 7:00 AM 11:00 AM
 PHX 6:00 AM 6:00 AM
 RDU 7:00 AM 12:00 PM
 SAN 6:00 AM 6:00 AM
 SFO 6:00 AM 6:00 AM
 SJU whenever club is open
 SNA 6:00 AM 6:00 AM
 STL 6:00 AM 9:00 AM
 TPA 7:00 AM 7:00 AM

Originally provided by jbsay on 21 Aug 2015
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Hi all.

I've been wondering... is there a club-wide policy on what time is alcohol served from in the Admirals Clubs? (beyond state licensing laws)

Just over a month ago, I was flying from BOS and I had reason to celebrate so I asked to Admirals Club bar for one of the tiny small champagne bottles (I had two complimentary drinks chits so was going to use them). Admittedly, it was 830am but I was told by the lady behind the bar that they don't serve alcohol that early. I celebrated instead with some pretzels, a mug of herbal tea, and two bottles of water complimentary of my drinks chits.

Nonetheless, is that a standard Admirals Club policy? I imagine that there are specific licensing laws in states that prohibit alcohol being sold before a certain time. However, I was flying on weekday and I believe that alcohol can be sold from 8am in MA on weekdays (from a quick search just now).

Extending this further though, how about serving alcohol on board flights (e.g. in First)? Does wine flow at 5/6am on American flights? I've never even thought to ask on domestic flights although I have had a glass at about 10am on the transatlantics when their lunchtime meal services come out.

Please do not think that I'm being facetious or an alcohol junkie, nor that I am condoning excessive alcohol drinking. This is meant as genuine question and one that would hope does not invite abuse, negativity or ridicule. I would have thought that the space of many Admirals Clubs are generally big enough for somebody to have a quiet drink without disturbing others (on the assumption that some people just don't physically like being around people drinking alcohol). Nonetheless, I am not asking or complaining out of being hurt or disappointed by my experience in the BOS lounge. I am just asking out of pure interest!

Simon.

P.S. I've been thinking about my experience with bar service lounges, which si few and far between as most of the lounges I visit are self-service. The bar service at the (excellent) United Lounge in Heathrow serves from opening time, and come to think of it so do a number of the Arrival Lounges (VS; one of the T2 ones, etc). It is the same for the Cathay Pacific lounges in HKG too.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As alcohol service hours is a broader issue due to national, state and local laws in the USA, we've retitled the thread for completeness and dedicated it to these questions.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 24, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Service in AC's is governed by local law.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Service in AC's is governed by local law.

Thanks Often1. Apologies, as I thought I had mentioned in my post that I was wondering about the provision beyond what is restricyed/permitted by local law.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Thanks Often1. Apologies, as I thought I had mentioned in my post that I was wondering about the provision beyond what is restricyed/permitted by local law.
At least two issues will affect the Clubs:

1) local or state ordinances;

2) whether Admirals Club has a uniform policy or allows variations in service hours (other than as may be mandated by local ordinances);

In the air, there should be an overall AA policy. PDB / pre-departure beverage services may be affected by local ordinances.

(And yes, this means I'm clueless as to actual service policies. I'm thinking one of our Club members might inquire on their next visit and share the replies here.)
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
I thought that was pretty clear, especially since you cited the local restriction on serving alcohol in your post.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I have not run into this and it is not network wide AC policy to not serve before a certain time. Now, the 'champagne' is a for-purchase item which falls under local serving laws. The complimentary options I believe are exempt and can be served at any time regardless of local laws. This was at least the case in ATL where it was explained to me in the SkyClub on a Sunday that they could only offer complimentary options before noon.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It's virtually impossible to get anything (even a tomato juice) at LGA's AC before 8am (which is when the bartender starts to appear) but I have had and witnessed many people having Bloody Marys and screwdrivers by about 9am. I've never seen anyone have an issue getting something alcoholic to drink in the air for a 5am or 6am flight.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I know I've had a Schafly at STL before 8AM in the past and I know for a fact the bar at LAX opens at 6AM(because of state law, the bartender explained, otherwise it would open when the club does). PHX also opens the bar well before 8AM.

I'd presume it's solely dependent on the state laws.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-ExecPlat, DL-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond
AC's in Charlotte can't serve alcohol until 12 noon on Sundays. Another reason to avoid that hub.

One small out-station, and I can't remember where, had some sort of rule where even once on the plane, alcohol could not be served before a certain time.....had to wait until the plane was airborne. Utah maybe? Can't remember where I was, but it shocked me.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Memo21
AC's in Charlotte can't serve alcohol until 12 noon on Sundays. Another reason to avoid that hub.
Even the comp stuff? Yikes! Yeah, no thanks. I've never understood southern liquor laws...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
DFW doesn't serve before noon on Sunday either. I know they can't sell before noon, and I'm pretty sure they also don't serve the free stuff.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catbert10
DFW doesn't serve before noon on Sunday either. I know they can't sell before noon, and I'm pretty sure they also don't serve the free stuff.
I think MA has that licensing restriction for weekends too, albeit I have not ever tested as I usually fly in the evenings on weekends.

Thank you all for a productive and insightful discussion of your experiences. I might try a cheeky glass when I visit the States again next week, for research purposes of course.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Even the comp stuff? Yikes! Yeah, no thanks. I've never understood southern liquor laws...
It's not just southern laws, the DTW Sky Clubs are also prohibited from offering alcohol before noon on Sundays due to Michigan liquor laws (DTW is self serve so it is all comp).
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Anyone know whether the Centurion lounge serves alcohol before noon on a Sunday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.