Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change to Multi City Bookings? (Feb 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Multi City Bookings? (Feb 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:59 am

The new "update" with this tool is very frustrating (at least for me)...I am trying to price out itineraries originating in Asia....but, it just goes to "timeout".......so I get no results.
sometimes, I get a result for the first flight...but after that, it goes a page that says "sorry try again" (or something worded like that).

I have to see If google flights can help me with these. (would rather price it out directly on AA).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I booked a multi-city yesterday. I liked the new process except for one thing. I did not get a preview of EQM and EQD that I would earn. I even went back and started from scratch and that feature is gone for multi-city bookings.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
What's worse is that I tried to search for flights on ITA Matrix and it seems that AA is now pushing for the shortest connections and does not allow longer ones or certain routings.
Is that AA or Matrix pushing that? AFAIK Matrix just puts together the results, so it seems it would be their software trying to show the shortest connection?

I agree though. On certain connections I’d prefer a longer one to play it safe.

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I have to see If google flights can help me with these. (would rather price it out directly on AA).
I’m not particularly a fan of google flights. Maybe I’m using it wrong, but it seems to show me a “preferred” flights order, which seems to be more expensive than a typical “here’s what you searched for, cheapest to most expensive.”
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I fly to Europe from DCA, and the new version does not let me easily force the city in which I connect. A recent search offered one JFK connection (ok), two LGA-JFK (not ok) and a bunch of two stop possibilities (also not ok). Trying to force one stop in the cities I wanted (where I have changed in the last year) produced the error message listed above "You can't book connecting flights as individual flight segments...". But Google flights seems to find my routings and allows me to book on AA, so only a minor inconvenience.
littlefish likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Since the old interface didn't let one choose Premium Economy as a class, the new system is a significant improvement from that perspective. It seems to have problems if you try to be overly clever (e.g. allowing nearby cities).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
My primary use of the mulitcity booking tool was to feed in itineraries from ITA matrix segment by segment and have them price out correctly. There is no way aa.com will ever suggest a 3 stop trip when a one stop is available. This is not going to make it much harder to do that, in my opinion.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:18 am

Just encountered this "not so wonderful" upgrade while trying to do a 6 segment multicity booking. In essence for the sort of bookings I normally do on AA.com the multi-city option is now useless and just returns an error.
littlefish likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Tried to book a multi-city itinerary through a specific European gateway using AA Flights to try their new PE but kept getting the same error, "You can't book connecting flights as individual flight segments. Please change your flight search" Spoke to an agent who said we're getting lots of complaints about it, but during our conversation, the seats went away...
littlefish likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:37 pm

You can use googleflights to create a 5 flight itinery, and then follow through to the AA booking page and book it.
If you decide once at AA to do something which worked perfectly before - change the date or airport of one of those flights, or even just to force it to search again, it reports the error

Anything more than 2 flights on a single day fails on the AA site, but works when a-n-other external system feeds past that checkpoint - so it's clearly a "bug", although whether they'll fix it ...

Trying to pull apart the parameters and see what contributes to URL gives
&c=
MSE {main search engine}
&GFS {google flight search}
&20180601 {yyyymmdd}
&DST {timezone}
&DST {timezone again}
&WEB&
&IIIII {flight classes}
&IIIII {flight classes}

But this I cant get broken down
&bookingPathStateId=nnnnnnnnnnnnn-nnn
which seems to relate to the flight numbers somehow
SK likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:21 am

Location: Austin, TX - AA ExPlat (1.4MM); Hyatt Plat; Hilton Dia; SPG Plat; National ExecElite, Hertz 5*
Any workarounds?

This has really killed my ability to search for mileage runs on aa.com, as you can't book two separate flights on the same day (e.g., BOS-LAX and then LAX-MIA on the same day). You can call AA, but it takes forever, you can't experiment with different options relative to price without torturing the CSR, and you run the risk of inaccurate MQM estimates from them, etc. Has anyone discovered a workaround on the AA site or a workaround in general? Many thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by IAHRoadWarrior
This has really killed my ability to search for mileage runs on aa.com, as you can't book two separate flights on the same day (e.g., BOS-LAX and then LAX-MIA on the same day). You can call AA, but it takes forever, you can't experiment with different options relative to price without torturing the CSR, and you run the risk of inaccurate MQM estimates from them, etc. Has anyone discovered a workaround on the AA site or a workaround in general? Many thanks!
Try starting first with Google Flights and make your selections there. You can filter to AA only to see the various combinations and costs. The Select option at Google sends you to the AA.com booking system to complete the purchase. From that point forward it is a direct AA purchase. I have found that Google Flights sometimes offers more flight combination options than starting at AA.com.
littlefish likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:52 pm

I cannot believe that this has not been fixed..... broken since Feb 2018????!!! Or... maybe AA does not think it IS broken. Tried to book.... Mia-Dfw-Dtw. 1st class. NO GO! I will try Google next. What a way to run an airline!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:03 pm

Just tried on Google. Got all teh way to AA... to pay for tic and then got the error message. It seems that AA does not want to sell me a ticket ( Mia-Dfw-Dtw. 1st class. )
littlefish likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:53 am

Location: Austin, TX - AA ExPlat (1.4MM); Hyatt Plat; Hilton Dia; SPG Plat; National ExecElite, Hertz 5*
This is exactly my experience, but at least the Google workaround lets you plan with a relatively accurate fare. Still have to call AA to confirm MQM/MQD and purchase though. It's pretty ridiculous.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by AA Flyer
I cannot believe that this has not been fixed..... broken since Feb 2018????!!! Or... maybe AA does not think it IS broken. Tried to book.... Mia-Dfw-Dtw. 1st class. NO GO! I will try Google next. What a way to run an airline!
I finally had to call AA in order to book and purchase. What a royal pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.