Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

(I believe I got) Food Poisoning at JFK Flagship First Dining

(I believe I got) Food Poisoning at JFK Flagship First Dining

Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
" The flight attendant was an angle"

Was the FA being obtuse? or where they a-cute ?

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread first. It looks like I was beaten to the pun-ch
DenverBrian and PHX_Flyer like this.

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 22, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:32 pm

Food poisoning needs to be reported ASAP and therefore its vital if you do indeed think you have food poisoning to go to the Doctor right away during the incubation period and have your Dr. write up the report and fax along the pathology report to the NYC Health Department and to American Airlines. If not done during this time then they could say you had an allergic reaction to the food or something did not agree. Also they would need other reports of people consuming the same food and food samples to test it for any potential food poisoning.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
" The flight attendant was an angle"

Was the FA being obtuse? or where they a-cute ?
Or a FEBO Angle?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Your first post said "...the lounge staff need a refresher in food hygiene practices." and also said "...left on display for people to eat with all the possible consequences that could arise."

These indicated you were talking about food hygiene, but your second post indicate that food was simply cold not hot.

I think accusing the lounge of inappropriate food hygiene practice is totally different from complaining about lounge of not able to keep proper food temperature.

Your post does not show any proof of the lounge practicing inappropiate food hygiene.

Again food poison and food hygiene are very serious matter. Should have good solid evidence before accusing of such.

Your situation you are complaining about totally wrong food temperature, not about food hygiene.
Not keeping food at the proper temperature is a serious issue
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Thank you all for the comments and please excuse the misspelling as I barley had enough energy to type. As far as other food it only included dinner with the family the night before the flight were 5 adults (including myself) and a toddler ate the same food without ANY issues.

I have contacted the NYC department of health but have yet to see a doctor as this morning was the first time I had any energy. I did also contact customer relations but don't expect anymore than a generic form letter. My main concern is that if there is a food safety issue that it is addressed and corrected as to make sure no other person gets to experience what I did up in the air.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mvoight
Not keeping food at the proper temperature is a serious issue
As I mentioned on previous post, New York State Department of Health indicates on service situation (food area of the lounge) potentially hazardous food (easily spoiled food) can be kept between 45 F and 140 F if it is kept for less than two hours.

Cold sausage may not be liking for many, but was the situation in violation of New York State health code and was potentially a serious issue? I am guessing likely not.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Ah, the SPECTRE of compensation, potentially, rears its ugly head. I'm with JonNYC on this.
If I had the issues OP had AND AA was at fault (contaminated food, say), I'd expect more than an apology and a few miles.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
It would be interesting to hear if anyone other than the OP got sick. Like a previous poster mentioned, if the OP was the only one that got sick it would be very unlikely that the problem was food poisoning.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
So sorry...I would rather have unanethesized surgery than
food poisoning
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dm6214
It would be interesting to hear if anyone other than the OP got sick. Like a previous poster mentioned, if the OP was the only one that got sick it would be very unlikely that the problem was food poisoning.
OP seems to believe the condition was food poisoning, that itself is not proven yet. If OP did have food poisoning, then symptom started about 3 – 4 hours after consuming food at Flagship Lounge according to OP’s posting. This makes Flagship Lounge as less likely source of food poisoning if OP did have food poisoning. If OP does believe had food poisoning, then OP should be looking at places where OP consumed food 24 – 72 hrs. before the first symptoms started.
dm6214 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by nrr
If I had the issues OP had AND AA was at fault (contaminated food, say), I'd expect more than an apology and a few miles.
IT'S NEW YORK! With its large number of "journalists" and even more parasitic "bloggers", wouldn't one think, that this would be Front Page news, or the lead on Channel 5-"Airline poisons premium passengers at JFK. That story, and more at 5 on 5.!". Especially 48 hours down the road?

At this point, with no other similar complaints, on the same day, from the same facility, perhaps the cause (as anecdotally noted elsewhere here) lies elsewhere. An elsewhere that does not require a lawyer.

My sympathies to OP- I too have spent a whole flight in the john and needed to be wheeled off. (amoebic dysentery)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:22 pm

Sounds unlikely.

I got diarrhoea within a few hours after eating the contaminated food

Diarrhoea from a contaminated food does not usually start until at least 4-6 hours after eating that food but can be as much as 3 days after consumption.Most bugs need time to multiply to harmful levels and travel through the digestive system.If you experience diarrhoea in less than 4 hours from eating it is not likely to have been caused by the recent meal. Consider the previous meals or even food you ate the day before.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...act-or-fiction
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
From WebMD https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...-uses-risks#1:

One of the biggest hazards today is self diagnosis. The wrong thing at the wrong time can be dangerous, if for no other reason believing the issue has been taken care of and it hasn't. The body has a way of dealing with problems and most times letting things run their course will suffice, but if you want to minimize the discomfort level, BLTC is the way to go.
And? Driving on 95 is risky as hell. You gotta live.

I am saying having some basic, proven things on hand can only help, not hurt. I am not telling people to play doctor if their stomach is turning inside out and they are going to die.

Being a hypochondriac and treating doctors as gods is also pretty risky these days, though, as well.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear about this (regardless of the source). The sickest I've ever been in my life was one time when I got food poisoning.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
So sorry...I would rather have unanethesized surgery than
food poisoning
Hyperbole much?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.