Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

(I believe I got) Food Poisoning at JFK Flagship First Dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(I believe I got) Food Poisoning at JFK Flagship First Dining

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Whether this is food poisoning or not, I recommend everyone travel with a sleeve of charcoal (called carbon in some parts of the world) pills for dire situations like this when traveling. Cheap, easy, effective and basically zero side effects.
Some scented candles would be nice as well, or at least some febreeze.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Whether this is food poisoning or not, I recommend everyone travel with a sleeve of charcoal (called carbon in some parts of the world) pills for dire situations like this when traveling. Cheap, easy, effective and basically zero side effects.
From WebMD https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...-uses-risks#1:
With a poisoning, don't guess about the right thing to do. Call your local poison control center immediately. And get to an emergency room. You need to use activated charcoal as soon as possible if it is recommended.
One of the biggest hazards today is self diagnosis. The wrong thing at the wrong time can be dangerous, if for no other reason believing the issue has been taken care of and it hasn't. The body has a way of dealing with problems and most times letting things run their course will suffice, but if you want to minimize the discomfort level, BLTC is the way to go.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
From WebMD https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...-uses-risks#1:

One of the biggest hazards today is self diagnosis. The wrong thing at the wrong time can be dangerous, if for no other reason believing the issue has been taken care of and it hasn't. The body has a way of dealing with problems and most times letting things run their course will suffice, but if you want to minimize the discomfort level, BLTC is the way to go.
OP took ill at 35,000 feet, he couldn't get to a "poison control center". Perhaps after a FA was informed of his situation, a call on the PA for a doctor on board might have led to assistance (which he needed).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold.
I ate at the Flagship Dining on Sunday (2/18) with no issues. One item I consumed was the Ahi Tartare, yes not the same from what you ate, but still a good candidate if something can go wrong it will. One thing I wonder and will ask, have you ever had Noro before? It is easy to pick up in an airport and it does deliver quite a punch. Personally having Noro before, I rather have simple food poisoning.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nrr
OP took ill at 35,000 feet, he couldn't get to a "poison control center". Perhaps after a FA was informed of his situation, a call on the PA for a doctor on board might have led to assistance (which he needed).
Agreed, but to carry a pharmacy around just in case is bad advice. Unless you have a predisposition for certain illnesses, getting to a professional as quickly as you can is the best course of action.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Unless an expert in Acupressure I don't know that a doctor 's immediate onboard attention would result in anything more than "you probably have food poisoning, drink small amounts of fluid frequently" Now if said doctor was Dr McCoy and had a Tricorder then the diagnosis may have been more certain.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
... If it is indeed an FL issue, contacting a lawyer should be your next step.
No it shouldn't.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I had an issue in the lounge side last year when the supposed hot breakfast items were tepid at best.

The staffer looking after the station thought the solution would just to use the tongs to re-arrange things as though that would magically reheat everything.

The manager thought that getting me something from the dining side would suffice but until I insisted that they be removed he was happy for the things to be left on display for people to eat with all the possible consequences that could arise.

It appears from a couple of other posts on this thread that the lounge staff need a refresher in food hygiene practices.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I had an issue in the lounge side last year when the supposed hot breakfast items were tepid at best.

It appears from a couple of other posts on this thread that the lounge staff need a refresher in food hygiene practices.
Are you an expert in food hygiene? It sounds like temperature of food was not to your liking, but does that mean food was already spoiled and was not fit for consumption?

New York State Department of Helth indicates that food which are easily spoiled (they use the term "potentially hazardous food") should be kept below 7.2 C or above 60 C. However, such as during seving situation, which food area of Flagship Lounge is, then easily spoiled foid can be stored between 7.2 C and 60 C if it does not exceed two hours.

It is possible that staff at Flagship Lounge was following the guideline of New York State Department of Health.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The supposed hot food was tepid. I know the difference. It wasn't a matter of my preference - other people were leaving the items in question as well.

One bite of a sausage told me it was cold for example.

I'd have been happy if it was 60 degrees but it was closer to the 7!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by nrr
... If it is indeed an FL issue, contacting a lawyer should be your next step.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No it shouldn't.
Ah, the SPECTRE of compensation, potentially, rears its ugly head. I'm with JonNYC on this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
A good friend ate dim sum last year in the morning. By dinner, she swore she had food poisoning which, considering where she ate, was entirely possible. She said it tasted weird plus she has had it before and was positive it was food poisoning. All the symptoms fit.

Cue the following morning and she was no better. I took her to the hospital and she was well on her way to total kidney failure. Turns out it was an adverse reaction from taking an Advil and a medication to treat a cold sore the day before. It had exactly the same symptoms of a food borne illness. There was no treatment other than hydration and it was very touch and go for a week as to whether the kidney would come back or if she would need a transplant. Fortunately, it did. An extreme example and a virus or giardia is the more likely culprit but the moral of the story is don’t just assume it is food poisoning, especially if it has lasted this long.
JDiver and Dr. HFH like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adurzi
<redacted>

I was on flight 35 on Tuesday 02/20/2018 from JFK to LAX in First Class and experienced Flagship First Dining at JFK. The experience was pleasant at the time but turned very HORRIBLE an hour and half into the flight. I did not eat anything the whole day so there is no doubt that the food poising was due to Flagship First Dining. I had bread, pork pot stickers, rock shrimp pasta and the bread pudding. Anybody who's had food poising knows it is very bad on the ground and is downright impossible at 35,000 feet in the air on a six hour flight. I got to experience vomiting and diarrhea on a six hour flight and by the time I was done I had no energy to even get off the airplane. The flight attendant was an angle and arranged for a wheelchair.

I have been down for more than 24 hours and still am unable to get out of bed. My question is this; what governmental agency is responsible for food safety at JFK and would would be the best way to proceed? What should I do next? Any help anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated.

You need to find out if you were the only one, or if anyone else got sick. No company..airline, restaurant..will even consider a claim unless there is more than one case. From what you could tell, were you the only ill one?

If so, it may not have been food poisoning. It may have been a virus, or some other cause. And if it WAS food poisoning and you were the only one who got sick, it may not have been from that food, but from something you ate the prior day, or even before that. Contrary to popular belief, some strains of food poisoning/water poisoning can take more than 24 hours to manifest. Some strains reproduce slowly, taking longer to trigger your protective response (expulsion via vomiting and diarrhea), and some people's own metabolic rate is slower, meaning the response time between eating and getting sick is longer. I have gotten sick within minutes of eating bad food, and also days later. It varies.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The supposed hot food was tepid. I know the difference. It wasn't a matter of my preference - other people were leaving the items in question as well.

One bite of a sausage told me it was cold for example.

I'd have been happy if it was 60 degrees but it was closer to the 7!
Your first post said "...the lounge staff need a refresher in food hygiene practices." and also said "...left on display for people to eat with all the possible consequences that could arise."

These indicated you were talking about food hygiene, but your second post indicate that food was simply cold not hot.

I think accusing the lounge of inappropriate food hygiene practice is totally different from complaining about lounge of not able to keep proper food temperature.

Your post does not show any proof of the lounge practicing inappropiate food hygiene.

Again food poison and food hygiene are very serious matter. Should have good solid evidence before accusing of such.

Your situation you are complaining about totally wrong food temperature, not about food hygiene.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Agreed, but to carry a pharmacy around just in case is bad advice. Unless you have a predisposition for certain illnesses, getting to a professional as quickly as you can is the best course of action.
I disagree. It’s only if the food poisoning doesn’t resolve in 24 hours should one seek doctor treatment, assuming the symptoms are fairly standard (fever but not a very high fever for example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.