Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using two awards to get to destination with fewer miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver

As many of us are aware, it costs a lot more miles to get from NA to OZ via HI or Asia as it takes 2 awards. There have been many discussions on the NA <-> OZ route.

But what surprised me this past week (by accident) is that one can save a few miles using this method, too. Now, I did do a search on "2 awards" but did not find a recent discussion on NA <-> SA awards, so I started this thread. Last week I booked SCL-DFW and the only routing that was available for my dates via BA awards search was via LIM and MIA in J, so I called up AA to book my award as it was cheaper to use AA miles than BA Avios. I was charge 55K miles; 25K for SCL-LIM and 30K for LIM-DFW. If I didn't have LIM connection it would have been 57.5K, hence saving 2.5K miles. Now, if and when a J award on the AA SCL-DFW non-stop becomes available I plan on changing my award which means an extra 2.5K and $150 change fee, but I'm OK with that. Hopefully some of you may find this info helpful.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With 2 awards being cancelled and a new one being issued, wont it be a $175 fee
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is it a $175 fee to cancel two awards if they are on the same PNR?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
Is it a $175 fee to cancel two awards if they are on the same PNR?
Good point, I'll let you know if/when I change it. Either way it's OK.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes! NA - deep SA in J is one of few zone pairs where two awards (via northern SA) is cheaper than one award. This is especially convenient given the presence of LA's hub in LIM.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes! NA - deep SA in J is one of few zone pairs where two awards (via northern SA) is cheaper than one award. This is especially convenient given the presence of LA's hub in LIM.
One of the other benefits of a two-award itinerary on this particular route is that one can have a stopover in SA 1, if desired.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
One of the other benefits of a two-award itinerary on this particular route is that one can have a stopover in SA 1, if desired.
Plus one doesn't have to choose last flight in next flight out. Ie, if one wants to wait for a particular flight (daytime both legs, for example), it doesn't cost any more. That's technically a stopover, but it's different than what most people think of as a stopover.

Having said that, the LA lounge in LIM is far from the best OW lounge you'll run into. I wouldn't plan a trip just based around hanging out in that lounge.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Plus one doesn't have to choose last flight in next flight out. Ie, if one wants to wait for a particular flight (daytime both legs, for example), it doesn't cost any more. That's technically a stopover, but it's different than what most people think of as a stopover.
Even on a single award that is not necessary. As long as it is a transit in LIM rather than a stopover, just needs to be < 24 hours in LIM

Also, to be aware of for those without status, if changing from 2 awards to 1, not only will there be the $175 award mileage redeoposit fee, but if travel date is within 21 days of date that the change is made, there will also be a $75 award processing fee
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two "fare components" on a one-way award is no different than two one-way "awards" on a round-trip. It will also be on the same award ticket, and some of the language on AA.com refers to the $150 reinstatement fee on a first "award ticket" basis. I would be shocked if they tried to collect the additional $25. Though I think some of the award fee language on AA.com is misleading or incorrect.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Even on a single award that is not necessary. As long as it is a transit in LIM rather than a stopover, just needs to be < 24 hours in LIM

Also, to be aware of for those without status, if changing from 2 awards to 1, not only will there be the $175 award mileage redeoposit fee, but if travel date is within 21 days of date that the change is made, there will also be a $75 award processing fee
Of course, elites don't pay that fee ;0
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course, elites don't pay that fee ;0
I did say in my post that this was a fee applicable for those without status
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

I did say in my post that this was a fee applicable for those without status
Only EXPs are completely exempt from paying fees though. PRO, PLT, and GLD are still subject to the $150 redeposit fee, though are exempt from the $75 close-in processing fee for issuing a new ticket in this case. Non-elites are hit with both fees.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch

Having said that, the LA lounge in LIM is far from the best OW lounge you'll run into. I wouldn't plan a trip just based around hanging out in that lounge.
IIRC from the LA forum, LA currently has *no* lounge in LIM. J pax (and presumably those with the relevant status) are instead given vouchers for certain restaurants in the terminal.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
IIRC from the LA forum, LA currently has *no* lounge in LIM. J pax (and presumably those with the relevant status) are instead given vouchers for certain restaurants in the terminal.
Ah, correct. I was last there about 3 years ago, when it was still open.

Apparently they're given restaurant vouchers and WiFi vouchers, but the two don't always work at the same location .
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since when AA changes its policy on how the close in fee is triggered?

I thought it is based on when the award is booked, not based on when you travel when the change is made? i.e. if you booked this several months out, for a departure in Mid March, now you want to travel in late Feb, you still need to pay the close in fee? In the past the fee does not applied in such change if I understood it correctly, though being a lowly GLD, the no close in booking fee is among the very few benefits still remain so I have never paid any and not pay enough attention to such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.