Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Marketed, AS Operated: AA Said Free (CC) Bag, AS Charged for Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Marketed, AS Operated: AA Said Free (CC) Bag, AS Charged for Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giblet
Do you mean email AA or AS?
AS. They charged you incorrectly.

If they want to chase down AA to get their $25 back they can. That's not your concern. AS was required to follow what was printed on the ticket, and they didn't.

I expect them to issue a refund with minimal hassle.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't think so. AA cannot decide what ancillary fees the operating carrier charges for services. For example, aa can say you get a free drink and snack as EXP on their website in your booking - AS does not need to honor that (slightly extreme example, but using to illustrate the point).

By the way, separately, AA's bag fees apply for this itinerary. Note that the second bag fee is AA's $35, not AS's $25. AS would charge $35. So indeed the ticketing carrier, not the operating carrier, does set bag fees (unlike ancillary fees like on board purchases).

(Because AS does a lot of business sending passengers to partners, my experience is that their agents are very used to collecting the correct bag fees from the partner, when appropriate. That’s why I’m surprised that they got this wrong. It makes me think that AA does have the correct $25 bag fee in the system but applies the waiver in producing the eticket receipt; I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. But as Often1 noted, this detail is all irrelevant to the OP. The eticket receipt said USD0.00, so that’s the most the OP can be charged.)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill

AA and AS most certainly do not have a reciprocal bag fee waiver agreement for credit card based waived checked bag fees. They never did even when they had a reciprocal elite status based bag fee waiver agreement.

I did not mean a bag fee waiver agreement or any other agreement with respect to any elite benefits that either airline may provide. I meant the actual codeshare/interline agreement that stipulates what baggage allowance is put on the ticket. I am sure that the OP was not the first passenger whose ticketed baggage allowance included a fee waiver due to status/cc. AS is required to follow what's on the ticket. Had it really been a big issue for AS I am sure they would have asked AA to correct this in the system (or ask AA to pay up). Codeshare agreements differ, and sometimes airlines agree that if one partner sells a ticket under its code the ticketed allowance will include extra bags. It is entirely possible that the codeshare agreement between AS and AA may say that the marketing airline may put an expanded baggage allowance on the ticket. That the agent may have not bothered to read the ticket is different. It is not that it has not happened before.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I did not mean a bag fee waiver agreement or any other agreement with respect to any elite benefits that either airline may provide. I meant the actual codeshare/interline agreement that stipulates what baggage allowance is put on the ticket. I am sure that the OP was not the first passenger whose ticketed baggage allowance included a fee waiver due to status/cc. AS is required to follow what's on the ticket. Had it really been a big issue for AS I am sure they would have asked AA to correct this in the system (or ask AA to pay up). Codeshare agreements differ, and sometimes airlines agree that if one partner sells a ticket under its code the ticketed allowance will include extra bags. It is entirely possible that the codeshare agreement between AS and AA may say that the marketing airline may put an expanded baggage allowance on the ticket. That the agent may have not bothered to read the ticket is different. It is not that it has not happened before.

Some airlines do have such an agreement. AA and AS specifically do not and never did.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
By the way, separately, AA's bag fees apply for this itinerary. Note that the second bag fee is AA's $35, not AS's $25. AS would charge $35. So indeed the ticketing carrier, not the operating carrier, does set bag fees (unlike ancillary fees like on board purchases).
(Because AS does a lot of business sending passengers to partners, my experience is that their agents are very used to collecting the correct bag fees from the partner, when appropriate. That’s why I’m surprised that they got this wrong. It makes me think that AA does have the correct $25 bag fee in the system but applies the waiver in producing the eticket receipt; I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. But as Often1 noted, this detail is all irrelevant to the OP. The eticket receipt said USD0.00, so that’s the most the OP can be charged.)
Understood. I had it wrong previously (thinking most significant carrier still)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some airlines do have such an agreement. AA and AS specifically do not and never did.
Sure, but that's not relevant to the OP. All that matters to the OP is that he bought a ticket that includes a free checked bag. Whether AA should have sold him that ticket or not is between AA and AS. If AS wants to send AA an invoice for $25 they are free to do so, but the OP is entitled to what's printed on the ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Are you saying that AA and AS do not have a codeshare agreement? How would AA be able to put its code on AS services and sell tickets if no codeshare agreement existed? Or are you saying that you saw the codeshare agreement and are aware of all the intricacies as to which airline pays for luggage and which airline gets to decide what luggage allowance gets put on the ticket?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Are you saying that AA and AS do not have a codeshare agreement?

I’m saying that AA and AS do not (and never did) have an agreement for reciprocal checked bag fee waivers for affinity credit card holders on codeshare flights.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:29 pm

You said you were flying from OAK to PDX and booked this AA/AS flight "even though it was more expensive" because your first checked bag would be free. Huh? The only other carrier on this route is Southwest. So if they were cheaper...............you do know that your first and second bag would be free had you taken Southwest right?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bofc
You said you were flying from OAK to PDX and booked this AA/AS flight "even though it was more expensive" because your first checked bag would be free. Huh? The only other carrier on this route is Southwest. So if they were cheaper...............you do know that your first and second bag would be free had you taken Southwest right?
The OP was debating booking the AS flight through AS (and paying the bag fee) vs booking the AS flight through AA (without the bag fee, due to the credit card waiver - which was improperly applied)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update that Alaska issued me a refund for the bag after I sent them an email. Thanks for the help here; I wouldn't even have thought to contact them directly about this.
GTITAN, ashill and VegasGambler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.