Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

European needing advice on MXP-LAX itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold

Hi All,

I'm from Europe so know very little about AA. I'm a BA Silver member (so OW Sapphire).

I'm looking to book flights from Milan to Los Angeles in July. All flights come with a layover in either CLT,MIA or JFK.

I'd like to ask the following questions, if anybody can answer.

1) What's the better airport for connections?
2) Where are the best lounges (sadly I lost my BA Gold this year, so can't use flagship lounges, just business class ones)?
3) What's the better widebody on AA? 777 or 330?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:27 pm

1 - MIA is a PITA in my experience, JFK is usually fine although I've never had experience of INT-DOM connection in CLT

2 - JFK. You can access the Flagship lounge with BA silver. There is also a FL in MIA, CLT has standard Admirals Clubs

3 - No experience of domestic widebodies but if you're in premium classes there are lie flat seats in business and 1st on the JFK-LAX route which uses the A321 (denoted as 321T)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:50 pm

Don't overlook Milan-LHR-LAX. I know some avoid LHR at all costs, but LHR offers a selection of really good OW lounges in T3, and a possible 777-300 on the LHR-LAX leg. You don't say what class you'll travel in, but 777-300 offers the best business class in the AA fleet, with a fairly snug economy class but good in-flight entertainment.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:50 pm

For connections, and just picking from those: JFK, CLT, MIA

For lounges: JFK (T8 Flagship Lounge), MIA (Flagship Lounge), CLT (??? AC?)

What cabin are you looking to book? That makes a huge difference in terms of aircraft.

For business class, absolutely the 777 and specifically what AA deems the 77W (777-300ER). Best business seat on AA. Second would be the 772 (777-200).

The A330 isn't bad as well.

For the domestic portion, you get what you get. JFK-LAX, as mentioned above, would be the way to go for business or first. Anything outside of that is a typical domestic seat in coach, but better in first. Won't be lie flat outside of the A321T (JFK-LAX/SFO only), but domestic first beats CE by a good margin.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
Don't overlook Milan-LHR-LAX. I know some avoid LHR at all costs, but LHR offers a selection of really good OW lounges in T3, and a possible 777-300 on the LHR-LAX leg.
Great catch, and very, very good idea. Skip the US connection all together.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
I flew into JFK a couple times from LHR and immigrations is in my opinion one of the worse in the states, only IAD is beating it by a little bit. I also depends on how long your layover will be. I got stucked in immigration for more than an hour every time I flew to JFK. I would always prefer to fly via BOS but as far as I know the lounge there is (still) under construction. But I m not sure about that.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

I'd fly either economy or premium economy. Right now business is way overpriced ($3000).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:11 pm

From an immigration perspective, CLT is the clear winner. I'd also look for options through ORD. I believe AA is adding a Milan direct flight
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Danusa86
I'd fly either economy or premium economy. Right now business is way overpriced ($3000).
In coach, to the west coast I'd probably just do MXP-LHR-LAX. A quick 2 hr intra Europe hop followed by some quality lounge time at LHR, then a 10-11 hr flight to LAX and you're done. This especially if you do Premium Econ.

Nothing worse than having an already long 8-9 hr flight from MXP to the east coast, then another long 6 hr flight in domestic coach out to LAX.

If the LHR connection isn't an option, then I'd take MXP-JFK-LAX. JFK will have the best connection experience, and the 321T that flies JFK-LAX is about as good as you'll get in domestic coach, personal TVs and a very low density config.
embarcadero1, beachfan and JDiver like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I think the 777 is the way to because your Oneworld status allows you to pick "Main Cabin Extra" at booking. On the A330 that's just the exit row and bulkhead but on the 777s they actually have more legroom.

As much as I hate MIA, if it's your only 777 option I'd stay with it. Everyone saying LHR-LAX has convinced me on your behalf!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
From an immigration perspective, CLT is the clear winner.
I don't agree at all. I've had at least 2 experiences where TA flights arrived early and we were kept on the aircraft until immigration opened. Then it was a mad scramble, together with passengers from 2-3 other flights, all trying to get through immigration. If checking bags, then that is a whole other story.
Not to mention that most people shy away from the aircraft that service CLT-LAX.
tahitigirl likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:21 pm

There's no MXP-CLT non-stop, is there? Wouldn't it call for an additional change?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, there's no MXP-CLT nonstop AFAIK. The only hubs with AA service to MXP are JFK and MIA. Between the two I'd pick JFK, largely due to the more direct routing (JFK-LAX and MIA-LAX are both about 6 hours block time, but MXP-JFK is a good 1-1.5 hours shorter than MXP-MIA).

Also, to the poster who suggested the possibility of an ORD-MXP flight, also unaware of any such plans. There is, however, a seasonal ORD-VCE route launching this summer.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
CLT is a great airport, but JFK probably has better lounges. I avoid MIA at all costs, but that is simply my personal opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.