Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best way to approach this sort of itinerary change - kind of complex!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if I should call and try to talk to a person for this, and I can't seem to find fare information that might make a difference - also not sure how being paid first class tickets might help? Also, there was a change in schedule but I'm not sure if that allows me to change destination city?

Here's the story:

Had a vacation planned RDU to LAS on a Friday night through Tuesday. First class tickets through DFW. Return trip was LAS-DFW 12:54-5:37 and DFW-RDU 6:40-10:22. Several days ago got a schedule change to LAS-DFW 12;59-5:45 and DFW-RDU 6:30-10:13. (I'd actually posted about this change to see if you all still thought I could make it, but I hadn't done anything about it yet!)

Now I'm also planning on going to SFO for a conference. Was planning on leaving Wednesday morning right after arriving back from LAS the previous night. Well, that seems pretty stupid! I'm thinking it makes a lot more sense to travel from LAS to SFO, then back SFO to RDU.

What's the best way to approach this?

With that schedule change can I get that leg cancelled and refunded? Then I can book multi-city LAS to SFO then SFO to RDU? Or can they rebook it to SFO and then I get a one-way SFO to RDU?

So a couple questions:

1) What do you think the best thing to do is, and

2) How should I approach it?

Not sure if this is a human conversation I need to have. The first class fare I booked was the cheapest first class fare, so I double it's refundable, but maybe because of the schedule change I can make it work in my favor?

What do you FT geniuses think I should do?

Last edited by buckybadger; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Old: LAS-DFW 12:54-5:37 and DFW-RDU 6:40-10:22. Connection: 1:03.

New: LAS-DFW 12;59-5:45 and DFW-RDU 6:30-10:13. Connection 0:45.

DFW D-D MCT is 40 minutes. The changes are just by minutes. It’s not likely AA will allow changes without a change fee and fare change, IMO.

See AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc Wikipost for DFW Connections if you need to.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver

DFW D-D MCT is 40 minutes. The changes are just by minutes. It’s not likely AA will allow changes without a change fee and fare change, IMO.

See AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc Wikipost for DFW Connections if you need to.
I got that link when I asked about the connection when I posted previously - some people recommended I ask to be switched to a later flight at 830, so that meant I could request a change. Wasn't sure how much of a change, though.

The flights much have some value even as nonrefundable, though, right? The round trip was about $1100 if I remember correctly...

Do you think that this is something best handled via a call to customer service? I'd like to know what is possible so I know what I should ask for. I'd like to seem educated a little at least!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by buckybadger
I got that link when I asked about the connection when I posted previously - some people recommended I ask to be switched to a later flight at 830, so that meant I could request a change. Wasn't sure how much of a change, though.

The flights much have some value even as nonrefundable, though, right? The round trip was about $1100 if I remember correctly...

Do you think that this is something best handled via a call to customer service? I'd like to know what is possible so I know what I should ask for. I'd like to seem educated a little at least!
Without a call, there is about a 0 chance of you getting the change you want.
If it is a non refundable ticket, then you can expect to pay the change fee and the new fare, which might be substantially more. (or it could be less).
None of this is going to be known unless you call
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Gotcha. I'll call.

I hate customer service and was hoping to avoid it.

Still considering booking a separate multi-city and just scrapping the return from LAS to RDU...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Gotcha. I'll call.

Still considering booking a separate multi-city and just scrapping the return from LAS to RDU...
There are always SDFC possibilities to explore. Good luck.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver

I agree with you, JD. DFW is not an airport at which I'm willing to book MCT connections, or even close. Too many ways to go wrong. And I'm past the age at which I have any interest in sprinting through airports. Either or both gates may be relatively far from access to the inter-terminal train. You can kill 5+ minutes just waiting for the train. And then you have to be at the departure gate xx minutes before scheduled departure or you're denied boarding even if the plane's there. No, at DFW, I prefer a minimum of 90 minutes for domestic to domestic connections.
george 3 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Gotcha. I'll call.

Even if not refundable, you might be better of cancelling and applying the residue to a new multicity trip for the entire journey.

One can always call customer service and beg. In your case though, it does look a bit difficult. A minor schedule change and an attempt to totally re-route? I know what I (if I was as an agent) would think

Another possibility though would be to call and ask to cancel for a credit with a waive on change fees. They might grant that, and then you call back later and book the new flights.

Of curse both my suggestions would lose your existing fare if that was something special.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Depends on the agent you call. I've had a schedule change happen once where I got in about 10-15 minutes later than I was going to, and they happily switched me to a nonstop flight. If you get someone who won't let you, HUCA.

Edit: I see the OP wants to also change the city, that's going to cost the difference in the fare and change fee.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Gotcha. I'll call.

If by "just scrapping the return from LAS to RDU" you mean not showing up for the flight (as distinguished from cancelling it before you book a separate multi-city via SFO), you should be aware that having conflicting reservations (such as LAS-RDU and LAS-SFO on the same day) may lead to one or both reservations being cancelled by AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.