Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger Demands to Get Off Flight - Plane Returns to Gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Had an interesting experience today out of LGA -- which is a bit of a travel mess between the rain in NYC and the weather at ORD. We left the gate 30 minutes late and were in the normal LGA rainy day runway tango. After an hour or so, the pilot announces we're next and then we hear lots of FA phone pinging. The plane stops and the pilot announces were are returning to the gate without any explanation.

Considering the amount of extra time factored in to LGA flights, I suspect we would have arrived on time or pretty close.

We returned to the gate and the woman quickly got off the plane (she didn't behave as having mental issues). Then another 10-15 passengers decided to get off as well. Then a guy comes up and starts telling the customer service manager that he wants to get off but won't do so unless they pull his suitcase. The CSM responds he is free to get off the plane but they are not pulling luggage. Arguing ensues.

Then we needed fuel!

So, we've now left two hours late. Seems like several people on here are connecting to QF8 to Sydney and may miss their connection unless they hold the flight.

It's amazing that one woman things she can cause so much cost to AA and inconvenience to 190 passengers on a full A321. Personally, she added four hours to my trip because of connections. I wish I new if this resulted in some sort of ban. I'm also amazed that the 10-15 passengers seemed to think they could get to their destination sooner by getting off. Every flight is delayed ....and full. I do wish that the Captain and CSM would have gotten on the PA and served as a calming influence. After the first 10-15 had left and a new queue began, the gate agent told everyone that they needed to get to Dallas so they would make progress since it was unlikely they would get out of LGA until tomorrow if they get off.

As for me, while sitting at the gate, I received an autorebook notice. I didn't like that flight and called the EXP line who immediately gave me the flight I liked. This flight was actually a rebook through the app from a flight through Chicago. I thought it worked pretty well.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Don't the FAs announce, right before the door closes, "If you do not wish to travel to City X, now is your last chance to get off?"

I've asked to get off a flight before and initially was not allowed, so I'm surprised that AA let people disembark. (In my case, I was flying to CLT and then driving to another city, and we ended up flying straight to that other city and landing there due to weather issues, so I wanted to get off.)
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Don't the FAs announce, right before the door closes, "If you do not wish to travel to City X, now is your last chance to get off?"

I've asked to get off a flight before and initially was not allowed, so I'm surprised that AA let people disembark. (In my case, I was flying to CLT and then driving to another city, and we ended up flying straight to that other city and landing there due to weather issues, so I wanted to get off.)
Forgot about that announcement.

So bizarre ... it took a while to work our way down to the runway but there was time built in to the schedule for the delays and deicing I suspect. By my calculation, we would have been 20 minutes late if the passenger hadn't demanded to get off. And the way she walked off didn't reflect a mental problem.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it's extreme to return to the gate, the carrier does not really have much of a choice other than to do as the passenger demands because these things can turn volatile once up in the air.

I do wish that carriers would ban people who do this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:57 pm

I know I fly a great deal more than most, but 6 months ago I had a new experience. Push back, in line for
Departure, lots of intercom chimes, and hasty return to the gate. One passenger off loads quickly. After we push back the second time the captain makes a PA thanking everyone for their patience and informing us that we had to return as a passenger had a loved one critically injured. Ironically, no one b€yotched
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
There's something missing from your story. It's not until the third paragraph that you mention "the woman" who got off the plane. What went on? When did she start demanding to get off the plane? What did she say? The account doesn't link her to the plane returning to the gate. I'd like to hear more about what went on.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Had an interesting experience today out of LGA -- ...

It's amazing that one woman things she can cause so much cost to AA and inconvenience to 190 passengers on a full A321. .
A learning moment for ALL FT readers.

Think back on your experiences and see if you have ever been "that" person who inconveniences the rest of us.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: none
deleted
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I honestly wouldn't care about the cost to AA as they make billions nor am I a shareholder. Too bad, so sad to them. But, I agree with regards to the 100's of other people on the plane who got inconvenienced.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

For the last 4 or 5 flights they have not announced "the doors are about to close so this your last opportunity to de-plane".
Pax can always feign illness and ask to be let off at any time.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:37 pm

Is it possible that this woman actually had a real live emergency, or maybe a panic attack? We had a gal last night have a panic attack out of GRU, thankfully, we were still on the ground to accommodate her. While it may be inconvenient, better on the ground, than in the air.
MCI777, ashill, Geordie405 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
There's something missing from your story. It's not until the third paragraph that you mention "the woman" who got off the plane. What went on? When did she start demanding to get off the plane? What did she say? The account doesn't link her to the plane returning to the gate. I'd like to hear more about what went on.
It happened as the OP said. The woman began demanding she be offloaded at some point in the departure queue. I’ve heard from reliable people on that flight from another venue. No declaration of emergency, no obvious problem, just insistent she be put off.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Then another 10-15 passengers decided to get off as well.
I find this to be the most bizarre part of the ordeal. Maybe these were passengers who knew they would miss a connection and decided not to travel? Would AA even accommodate these passengers on other flights?

I also wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey
I find this to be the most bizarre part of the ordeal. Maybe these were passengers who knew they would miss a connection and decided not to travel? Would AA even accommodate these passengers on other flights?

I also wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye...
the woman who got off the plane did not seem an obvious distress. For example, she didn't seem as if there had been a family emergency and I suspect there would have been some discussion if that was an issue. I was close enough to hear the crew discuss it after she had gotten off. Obviously, I can't speak to her motivations other than her demeanor which I might described as annoyed New Yorker.

The others who got off the plane didn't make sense. Lga was a mess today and there was no way to get a better connection. Plus, there were two more banks of flights at DFW for connections. Frankly I think another 20 people would have gotten off the plane if the gate agent didn't finally come on and tell people there were no other options at LaGuardia and they would be far better off getting to Dallas. It seemed to be a bit of a herd mentality.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:52 am

I am surprised they didn't off load the luggage of those who left. It seems to me that leaving it on makes for a serious security breach. BUT, even though it was off loaded, I'd not admit that to the passenger and make them return to LGA to get it, whenever the aircraft actually made its next LGA stop.

( never said I was nice)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.