Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Sick Captain—What happens to 500 mile upgrades when booking got rerouted?

Old Feb 10, 18, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green

The captain got sick at the last minute on AA1255, I’m supposed to fly TUL-DFW-ONT and returning LAX-DFW-TUL on the same day. So that cost me two complimentary upgrades (TUL DFW less than 500mile), and 3 500mile upgrades each on DFW-ONT, and LAX-DFW. So 6 upgrades total.I actually got my upgrade confirmed for TUL-DFW-ONT.

I got rerouted to TUL-ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD-TUL, TUL-ORD costs 2 500mi upgrades, and ORD LAX costs 4 Upgrades. So 12 upgrades in total.

Since they’re technically at fault, what happens to the upgrade here?

if you want more details: we actually sat on the plane and at 5am (departure time) they announced the “crew illness issue”. They asked us to remain seated, then 15 mins later they asked us to call AA reservations to reschedule(since it’s faster than gate), 30 mins later they ask us to deplane.
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Most likely, they will take 12 upgrades out of your account. If you write an e-mail explaining the situation you will probably get them back. (Similar thing happened to me earlier this year, the customer service rep admonished me that I should have gone to the gate of the rebooked flight and asked to downgrade despite being re-routed and delayed 7 hours to my final destination, but they did give them back).
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:23 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BB8Dreamliner View Post
The captain got sick at the last minute on AA1255, I’m supposed to fly TUL-DFW-ONT and returning LAX-DFW-TUL on the same day. So that cost me two complimentary upgrades (TUL DFW less than 500mile), and 3 500mile upgrades each on DFW-ONT, and LAX-DFW. So 6 upgrades total.I actually got my upgrade confirmed for TUL-DFW-ONT.

I got rerouted to TUL-ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD-TUL, TUL-ORD costs 2 500mi upgrades, and ORD LAX costs 4 Upgrades. So 12 upgrades in total.

if you want more details: we actually sat on the plane and at 5am (departure time) they announced the “crew illness issue”. They asked us to remain seated, then 15 mins later they asked us to call AA reservations to reschedule(since it’s faster than gate), 30 mins later they ask us to deplane.
First, congrats on coming up with a new topic. I can't remember seeing this same kind of issue before. Interesting.

Suggestion: write to AAdvantage Customer Service (or phone them .... they're nice). Explain that you were confirmed on a route which required 6 segment upgrades ( 3 outbound and 3 return). The pilot became ill, the cancelled the flight, they rebooked you, and the new routing required 12 upgrades. Because it was an involuntary routing change due to a cancelled flight, the right thing is for AA to refund the excess upgrades which were required due to the longer route.

However, I'm having a hard time understanding why the return trip was rerouted beyond your control? (Unless the arrival time was delayed thus caused a misconnect.)

Quick question: if they give you the choice between "spend 12 upgrades and get mileage credit for the longer route" or "spend 6 upgrades but get original routing credit", which would you choose?
Old Feb 10, 18, 2:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In my opinion, a Captain getting sick could be seen as “Force majeure” by AA and you may get no sympathy. But the best recommendation is to call and try to get some “stickers” credited, using the term “I was involuntarily rerouted” (and thank goodness your upgrades came through - these will Be even more crucial as narrowbodies go to “Tiny Tots Sardine Class “30” pitch slimmer line Meridian seating).

But... reread CloudCoder’s post above.
Old Feb 10, 18, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Theres a good chance they will credit back the extra upgrades. Though frankly, as alluded, I think you should also get original routing credit and lower EQMs, but they may not relate the two issues. Maybe you’ll get your cake and eat it too.
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
In my opinion, a Captain getting sick could be seen as “Force majeure” by AA and you may get no sympathy. But the best recommendation is to call and try to get some “stickers” credited, using the term “I was involuntarily rerouted” (and thank goodness your upgrades came through - these will Be even more crucial as narrowbodies go to “Tiny Tots Sardine Class “30” pitch slimmer line Meridian seating).

But... reread CloudCoder’s post above.
A captain getting sick could not be considered "Force majeure" given it is entirely foreseeable that an airline will have staff fall ill from time to time and they should have standby staff in place.
Old Feb 11, 18, 12:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lachster View Post
A captain getting sick could not be considered "Force majeure" given it is entirely foreseeable that an airline will have staff fall ill from time to time and they should have standby staff in place.
We could argue the issue, but the real issue is how AA will see that.
Old Feb 11, 18, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
The real question this raised for me was how a non-EXP actually was able to get LAX-DFW to clear using stickers!! I only clear that route about 25% of the time as an EXP.

I have seen more than once in my own experience - you might even get a nice little bonus, because of IRROPS they may give you EQMs as if you were booked in first. I had a flight home from LHR to JFK that cancelled, I had upgraded using SWUs. They rebooked me on a different flight and they treated it as if I had booked it in J for EQM purposes. Had this happen on a flight to Singapore via HKG that ended up being rebooked through Narita, also.
Old Feb 12, 18, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by badkneeski View Post
The real question this raised for me was how a non-EXP actually was able to get LAX-DFW to clear using stickers!! I only clear that route about 25% of the time as an EXP.
Is it possible that IRROPS passengers get special priority for upgrades when they had an upgrade confirmed in their original itinerary?
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by badkneeski View Post
OP did say the departure was 5 AM, a less than ideal time!
Old Feb 14, 18, 12:58 am

I sure hope the captain is ok, and you find your travels well
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus

I am shocked you were able to get all of those upgrades as Gold.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
Is it possible that IRROPS passengers get special priority for upgrades when they had an upgrade confirmed in their original itinerary?
That's what I thought, if you were already confirmed in an upgrade. But maybe that's only for SWUs.
Old Feb 14, 18, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Hello everyone,

I was actually confirmed for upgraded for only the first two legs, TUL-DFW and DFW-ONT, I was never confirmed for the return trip which was LAX-DFW-TUL. On the rerouted trip, they put me on the upgrade lists, but I only got upgraded on TUL-ORD and ORD-TUL. Upgrades didnt go through for ORD-LAX and LAX - ORD. So at the end, I ended up spending 4 500miles upgrades.

Honestly, I was surprised that I even got confirmed for TUL-DFW-ONT, never happened to me before as Gold (even for only TUL-DFW). But i think my inconvenient flight time(5am) is a factor.

Second, customer service emailed me at around noon on the day of my flight saying that they posted 10,000 Award miles to my account for compensation. Do you guys think this is a fair compensation? I'm new to AA so idk. Back in my CX gold days, when my LAX-HKG flight was delayed for more than 4 hours and made an extra stop at Osaka(due to crew hours regulation), they gave me 17,000 Asia miles for the trouble-- I had to complain first though. The reason for the delay was ground truck hit the cargo bay door and caused a dent of the 77W.

Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
First, congrats on coming up with a new topic. I can't remember seeing this same kind of issue before. Interesting.
However, I'm having a hard time understanding why the return trip was rerouted beyond your control? (Unless the arrival time was delayed thus caused a misconnect.)

Quick question: if they give you the choice between "spend 12 upgrades and get mileage credit for the longer route" or "spend 6 upgrades but get original routing credit", which would you choose?
Ahhh.. This was a day trip, My flight should've arrived at Ontario, California at 10am .. and the next flight out of LAX was at 5:30pm on the same day. This was actually a mileage run for me LOL (plus my close friend lives there). I was a only $350 EQDs short from completing my platinum challenge. To answer your next question, If i were to be offered that, i think I'd take the the upgrade refunds and less EQMs. Learning from my PLAT challenge, I have no trouble collecting EQMs--since I'm actually from Indonesia, so I make the transpacific RT almost 4 times a year.

Also my mileage run is a success and I'm a Platinum now. Hopefully I can get DFW-LAX upgrades now :P

Search this Thread
Search Engine: