Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancellation .... then reinstated. First time me.

Old Feb 8, 18, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

9:21a
Your flight is cancelled.

American Eagle flight xxx from yyy to zzz on Friday, February 09, 2018 at xxx PM has been cancelled. We’re working to rebook your trip now and will send you an update soon.

9:59am
Your flight is back on schedule

American Eagle flight xxx from yyy to zzz on Friday, February 09, 2018 at xxx PM has been reinstated. Your departure time is xx PM. Please note that times and locations are subject to change.

That's a first for me.
Old Feb 8, 18, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is why sometimes you have to go all DYKWIA. They will just reinstate your flight for you.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 8, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
9:21a
Your flight is cancelled.

American Eagle flight xxx from yyy to zzz on Friday, February 09, 2018 at xxx PM has been cancelled. We’re working to rebook your trip now and will send you an update soon.

9:59am
Your flight is back on schedule

American Eagle flight xxx from yyy to zzz on Friday, February 09, 2018 at xxx PM has been reinstated. Your departure time is xx PM. Please note that times and locations are subject to change.

That's a first for me.
Yes.. in DFW. Flight from DFW to LAX was cancelled around 2pm. I was able to snag a DFW to SNA flight that left about 2 hours later. As I waited for the SNA flight, the original LAX flight was reinstated and I was "put back" on that flight. Of course, I lost my seat assignment and everyone had to recheck. Went from MCE to something like 31B.
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
It happened to me in 2016, but not so nice.
Stranded in CLT because of weather. Re-booked to GSO for the next morning. When I arrived, I was told my morning flight was cancelled and I was put on the afternoon flight. After killing some time, I had the wild idea to walk over to my original gate to find that the flight was still on and boarding was in 10 minutes. I asked to be put on the standby list and was told there was no chance but they'll put me on it. 5 minutes later, he calls my name with a funny look on his face and hands me a boarding pass with my original seat assignment. I have no idea what happened but I did learn a good lesson. Stick around, you never know what can happen at the airport.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:06 pm

Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles
Same thing happened to me years ago on a flight from SFO to LAX.
Everyone except me and one other guy had transferred to another flight when they reinstated the original flight.
He and I were the only passengers on a large two cabin plane that AA needed to get to LAX.
Before we took off, the pilot came back and told us not to be alarmed by steep trajectory at takeoff due to the entirely empty plane.
A pleasant and unusual trip To LAX.
E55, aquamarinesteph and chrisny2 like this.
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:11 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
As soon as the cancellation notice was posted shouldn't pax be eligible for a refund (even if it was reinstated 38 min later)?
[Sometimes another (non-interline) carrier has flts servicing the cities for the cancelled flt,, so pax upon getting cancellation notice immediately purchases a ticket on that airline; if AA then reinstated flt, that pax would now be holding two tickets--but only needed one.]
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
I have had this happen. I think it was mechanical at DFW and they cancelled the flight but then had an equipment swap.

Opposite also happened. The xyz-DFW return was actually cancelled but given they share the flight numbers, the DFW-xyz flight was announced as cancelled by the GA as well. Chaos ensued.
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
fwiw - The title was edited into a grammatical mess without my input.

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
As soon as the cancellation notice was posted shouldn't pax be eligible for a refund (even if it was reinstated 38 min later)?
Possibly, but I need to get home. I've re-routed it around ORD though. I suspect it will be (re-?)cancelled.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: