Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?

Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

When AA may issue you a voucher or reimburse you for lodging

When the issue is the responsibility of AA, the airline may provide a voucher or vouchers for lodging, meals and transportation, under the best of circumstances. These may not be to a convenient or nearby property. If you’re stuck at DFW, you probably won’t be staying at the Hyatt properties, for example. You may find, after waiting in a queue, you’re handed a voucher for the local “Notell Motel “, which neither offers a shuttle nor dining other than during very restricted hours, because AA has a contract with them for passengers in this circumstance. (AA vouchered us into the MIA DoubleTree Club some time ago - a total, grotty, filthy, roach-infested dump that was closed soon after - the six of us there should have been compensated for that abominable stay.)

It’s also possible they may tell you they’re out of vouchers. Have the delay and cause - very useful if AA us at fault and you’ve been told the flight is cancelled or delayed for a mechanical condition, lack of crew, etc. - documented in your PNR, and proceed as below.

If you are inconvenienced and there’s a lengthy reaccommodation or voucher queue, you may want to call AA through your status telephone number. If your flight is affected and it’s not a airport wide issue, and you’re at a hub like DFW, you might ask if there’s a reaccommodation desk nearby and go there.

If it’s an airport-wide issue, that’s a more serious problem. Try to call AA while you stand in queue. In case if hours-long disruption, in hubs such as DFW they might provide cots, blankets, snacks, etc. See The Guide to Sleeping in Airports”link below.

Alternatives:

If you have a higher end credit card (or travel insurance policy - some are even available as annual policies), you may just prefer calling your predilection hotel chain booking number and requesting the nearest hotel with a room and shuttle. You may want to inquire abit getting a “distressed passenger rate” to boot.

If you’re pretty sure the airline will reimburse you because the circumstances are so clear - and more likely you have status and are good at dealing with AACS, book it as a above.

In both cases, document as well as you can. If you can get an employee to enter an OSI (other service information) note into your PNR (passenger name record, the airline’s itinerary ) to note the reason for your inconvenience and anything you’re promised (such as a voucher for future travel), so much the better.

To contact AA for reimbursement, compensation, etc. contact AA Customer Relations.

When will AA likely not reimburse or voucher me for lodging?

When AA generally will not issue you a voucher or reimburse you for lodging (possibly might anyway if you’re a valuable customer such as Concierge Key - influencer of travel).

AA will generally not be responsible for lodging etc. when the conditions are beyond its control - most commonly, as a result of weather, even if the weather affected your aircraft at another location causing your current issue, including crews timing out as a result of such delays. The chain can be lengthy.

From the AA Conditions of Carriage (link):

Force majeure event means:
  • Any condition beyond American's control including, but without limitation, meteorological conditions, acts of God, riots, civil commotion, embargoes, wars, hostilities, disturbances or unsettled international conditions - actual threatened or reported. Also, because of any delay, demand, circumstances or requirement due, directly or indirectly to such conditions; or
  • Any strike, work stoppage, slowdown, lockout or any other labor related dispute involving or affecting American's service; or
  • Any government regulation, demand or requirement; or
  • Any shortage of labor, fuel or facilities of American or others; or
  • Any fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by American

See above for alternatives.

Note that though your inconvenience might de due to a “force majeure”event, you might still gain some compensation from AA.

Resources

FlyerTalk AA forum master threads:

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers

IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread)

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR

Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (applicable for European Community carriers and to AA when your flight originated in, and is disrupted in, Europe).

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc.

Other resources:

AA Conditions of Carriage (the rules that govern your travel with AA that AA imposes on you, sometimes called a “contract if adhesion”).

The Guide to Sleeping in Airports Lists best areas in airports around the world to catch some kip, and Lists public or paid access lounges.
Print Wikipost

When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?

Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I usually feel like I am on top of all these abbreviations here on FT.

I am lost on STPC could someone help me out there?

Thanks
If only there was an online way to search for such stuff
I actually didn't know until Dave implied it in post #2
But for the online seach
1. Enter STPC in Google (Work computer default)
2. First hit found

STPC - Wiktionary

en.wiktionary.org › wiki › STPC
STPC. (travel, aviation) Initialism of stopover paid by carrier. Pre-arranged hotel transit accommodation, paid by an airline to encourage use of a bad connection ...
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
IROPS (IRROPS) Hotel for Executive Platinum at DFW

I had a Mesa flight delay that led to a hotel voucher. The hotel offered was the Atrium Hotel and Suites. Is this normal IRROPS protocol for an EXP? I don't want to sound like a diva, but I at least expected a Holiday Inn as an EXP. I'm just wondering if this is par for the course or just a fluke. Hotels in the DFW area are super cheap and plentiful because of the holiday. I ended up paying for my own room at the Hyatt Regency (Grand Hyatt was booked). I'm happy with my decision, but I'm still disappointed AA is being so stingy. I get times are tough for the airline business, but as a UA 1K I was given the Marriott or the Westin on an IRROP.

I'd love to know your experiences.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
IROPS (IRROPS) Hotel for Executive Platinum at DFW

I had a Mesa flight delay that led to a hotel voucher. The hotel offered was the Atrium Hotel and Suites. Is this normal IRROPS protocol for an EXP? I don't want to sound like a diva, but I at least expected a Holiday Inn as an EXP. I'm just wondering if this is par for the course or just a fluke. Hotels in the DFW area are super cheap and plentiful because of the holiday. I ended up paying for my own room at the Hyatt Regency (Grand Hyatt was booked). I'm happy with my decision, but I'm still disappointed AA is being so stingy. I get times are tough for the airline business, but as a UA 1K I was given the Marriott or the Westin on an IRROP.

Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I pay for every single airline ticket with a credit card that offers reimbursement for situations exactly like yours. Usually, the Chase Sapphire Reserve for personal travel, or the Chase Ink Business Preferred for business travel.

That way, I select the hotel and don't care what agreements the airline may have with "value priced" area hotels. One time, after a flight at LAX went sideways, American shuttled us down to Long Beach for an overnight stay at a tired Courtyard. Of course, the Super Shuttle stopped five times before our particular hotel. Shoot me. At hotel check-in, the front desk agent did not want to provide free breakfast to a Bonvoy Platinum member because we were there on an AA voucher. Thankfully, we negotiated free breakfast for the stay.

In your particular situation, you found an onsite airport hotel at a reasonable cost. Even if you can't get reimbursement from your credit card company, you likely made out better than most. Some hotels provided by an airline during IRROPS don't want to provide any elite benefits. Plus, you did not have to deal with vouchers, shuttles, etc.

With IRROPS, I also learned to not take the first flight out the next morning. You always end up getting to your hotel room late at night, and I hate getting up at the crack of dawn to catch that 7am flight. Slow down...relax....try to make the IRROPS a mini rest stop. Work will be waiting for you when you eventually get to your destination.
Abidjan, PDXPremier, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:35 pm

This is why I save the Hyatt Free nite certs for DFW terminal hotels.
JDiver, ceebee100, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I've never been given any kind of preferential hotel treatment in irrops as an EXP. Never stayed at the Atrium DFW, but I can assure you it can't be any worse than the Comfort Inn they gave me at LGA or the Days Inn at CLT.

My irrops hotel experiences with AA have generally been so bad that, as mentioned above, I never even bother anymore, always book whatever I can find on my own then just submit receipts (either to your CC company or directly to AA).
JDiver, Antarius, Uzzar and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I had a Mesa flight delay that led to a hotel voucher.
Shouldn't your employer reimburse you for your hotel?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm
Shouldn't your employer reimburse you for your hotel?
OP didn't say whether it was a work or personal trip.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chicaloca453

In my early days of flying AA frequently, before I knew better, I found that waiting around the airport to obtain a hotel voucher resulted in a fairly mixed bag of hotels, ranging from 2 to 4 stars, sometimes right next to the airport, sometimes fairly far away. I also never noticed elite status making any clear difference in which hotel was offered.

Originally Posted by jcatman
I pay for every single airline ticket with a credit card that offers reimbursement for situations exactly like yours. Usually, the Chase Sapphire Reserve for personal travel
Lately I almost always do the same as the quoted post above -- book with a credit card that will reimburse me for essentially whatever hotel I'd like.

Alternatively, if credit card reimbursement weren't an option for one reason or another, I'd consider it worth the money in terms of time and frustration saved just to book and pay for my own hotel. AA has, in the past, at times, provided reimbursement to EPs for their own hotels (I've been asked to submit receipts to AA Customer Relations before), but sometimes they've provided only partial reimbursement, and sometimes they've denied it entirely (just my personal experience).
JDiver and chicaloca453 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
. .. the few times I have been offered a hotel.. I am so tired by then anyway.. all I want is a place to sleep and shower... BA many times with them.. usually offer hotels around LHR.. again its a place to shower and sleep
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fotographer
. .. the few times I have been offered a hotel.. I am so tired by then anyway.. all I want is a place to sleep and shower... BA many times with them.. usually offer hotels around LHR.. again its a place to shower and sleep
If you're literally showering, sleeping, and grabbing the first flight out in the morning, perhaps virtually anywhere is fine.

On the other hand, my most recent DFW misadventure in 2019 resulted in being denied boarding on an INTL flight (long story for another day), leaving the airport at 10 PM and not leaving on my re-booked flight until 4 PM the next day. I booked the Grand Hyatt and arrived in time to grab a nice dinner in their restaurant, followed by enjoying the rooftop pool and gym while waiting for my flight the next day.

Certainly not all IROPS hotels are created equal, so depending on the circumstances, it can be worth trying to avoid the potential of a faraway 2 star airline hotel. As above, though, don't count on AA to put you in the Grand Hyatt, even if you're a CK.
chicaloca453 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I have had several unfortunate instances of this over the years as EXP, mostly at CLT.
As stated, yes it is very common to get lower tier hotels than you may prefer. Suffice to say, they are not ashamed to put you in some nasty rat-traps for the night. EXP means nothing
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’ve had some interesting irrop hotel situations with AA.....I never knew I could book my own and submit it to AA for reimbursement.

One time I got diverted to an Asian city that AA doesn’t even fly to and they took our passports so I had to stick with the flock of pax and pay attention to numerous rules about getting to the airport and plane the next day.
chicaloca453 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’ve had some interesting irrop hotel situations with AA.....I never knew I could book my own and submit it to AA for reimbursement.
Yeah, here's an example of a partial hotel reimbursement (granted, it's from several years ago now, but they seemed to reimburse based on their typical contracted hotel rate at the time)...

JDiver and chicaloca453 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Seems kind of ridiculous that they'd put a customer in a hotel that I know they'd never put their crews in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.