Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

When AA may issue you a voucher or reimburse you for lodging

When the issue is the responsibility of AA, the airline may provide a voucher or vouchers for lodging, meals and transportation, under the best of circumstances. These may not be to a convenient or nearby property. If you’re stuck at DFW, you probably won’t be staying at the Hyatt properties, for example. You may find, after waiting in a queue, you’re handed a voucher for the local “Notell Motel “, which neither offers a shuttle nor dining other than during very restricted hours, because AA has a contract with them for passengers in this circumstance. (AA vouchered us into the MIA DoubleTree Club some time ago - a total, grotty, filthy, roach-infested dump that was closed soon after - the six of us there should have been compensated for that abominable stay.)

It’s also possible they may tell you they’re out of vouchers. Have the delay and cause - very useful if AA us at fault and you’ve been told the flight is cancelled or delayed for a mechanical condition, lack of crew, etc. - documented in your PNR, and proceed as below.

If you are inconvenienced and there’s a lengthy reaccommodation or voucher queue, you may want to call AA through your status telephone number. If your flight is affected and it’s not a airport wide issue, and you’re at a hub like DFW, you might ask if there’s a reaccommodation desk nearby and go there.

If it’s an airport-wide issue, that’s a more serious problem. Try to call AA while you stand in queue. In case if hours-long disruption, in hubs such as DFW they might provide cots, blankets, snacks, etc. See The Guide to Sleeping in Airports”link below.

Alternatives:

If you have a higher end credit card (or travel insurance policy - some are even available as annual policies), you may just prefer calling your predilection hotel chain booking number and requesting the nearest hotel with a room and shuttle. You may want to inquire abit getting a “distressed passenger rate” to boot.

If you’re pretty sure the airline will reimburse you because the circumstances are so clear - and more likely you have status and are good at dealing with AACS, book it as a above.

In both cases, document as well as you can. If you can get an employee to enter an OSI (other service information) note into your PNR (passenger name record, the airline’s itinerary ) to note the reason for your inconvenience and anything you’re promised (such as a voucher for future travel), so much the better.

To contact AA for reimbursement, compensation, etc. contact AA Customer Relations.

When will AA likely not reimburse or voucher me for lodging?

When AA generally will not issue you a voucher or reimburse you for lodging (possibly might anyway if you’re a valuable customer such as Concierge Key - influencer of travel).

AA will generally not be responsible for lodging etc. when the conditions are beyond its control - most commonly, as a result of weather, even if the weather affected your aircraft at another location causing your current issue, including crews timing out as a result of such delays. The chain can be lengthy.

From the AA Conditions of Carriage (link):

Force majeure event means:
  • Any condition beyond American's control including, but without limitation, meteorological conditions, acts of God, riots, civil commotion, embargoes, wars, hostilities, disturbances or unsettled international conditions - actual threatened or reported. Also, because of any delay, demand, circumstances or requirement due, directly or indirectly to such conditions; or
  • Any strike, work stoppage, slowdown, lockout or any other labor related dispute involving or affecting American's service; or
  • Any government regulation, demand or requirement; or
  • Any shortage of labor, fuel or facilities of American or others; or
  • Any fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by American

See above for alternatives.

Note that though your inconvenience might de due to a “force majeure”event, you might still gain some compensation from AA.

Resources

FlyerTalk AA forum master threads:

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers

IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread)

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR

Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (applicable for European Community carriers and to AA when your flight originated in, and is disrupted in, Europe).

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc.

Other resources:

AA Conditions of Carriage (the rules that govern your travel with AA that AA imposes on you, sometimes called a “contract if adhesion”).

The Guide to Sleeping in Airports Lists best areas in airports around the world to catch some kip, and Lists public or paid access lounges.
Print Wikipost

When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It sounds like you were relying solely on the AA app for rebooking options? Never do that! If a rebooking option you wanted wasn't available on the app, I would have called AA ASAP. I doubt it had anything to do with what fare you were on.
Thanks good advice - I need to say that I was initially impressed by the AA app to give me about 20 options to choose from (in the BA world you get simply rebooked on one flight with the ask 'call us if you don't like it').

I'll have a few connections from December to January via ORD so I guess I'll take that advice to my heart
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:19 am

Question Hotel provided on misconnect?

In August I’m flying thru MAD to another city in Spain on same ticket. I transfer from AA to IB in MAD. If there’s a misconnect, does IB or AA provide for a hotel, assuming only one flight/day exists?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
In August I’m flying thru MAD to another city in Spain on same ticket. I transfer from AA to IB in MAD. If there’s a misconnect, does IB or AA provide for a hotel, assuming only one flight/day exists?
They are not obligated to but may do so as a customer service gesture.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How much time did you allow between connections at MAD? MAD can be a long connection as I flew BCN-MAD-ORD last year and took quite a time to get to my Chicago bound flight (25 minutes at my fast walking speed).
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If AA caused the misconnect, due mechanical issues, for example, I would expect AA to handle it.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
How much time did you allow between connections at MAD? MAD can be a long connection as I flew BCN-MAD-ORD last year and took quite a time to get to my Chicago bound flight (25 minutes at my fast walking speed).
Iberia keeps changing time of connecting flight on my itinerary. Not worried about AA as originally had a connection time of three hours. My concern is if they change their schedule again so that their flight leaves before my AA flight arrives.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Iberia keeps changing time of connecting flight on my itinerary. Not worried about AA as originally had a connection time of three hours. My concern is if they change their schedule again so that their flight leaves before my AA flight arrives.
If a schedule change creates an illegal connection they are obligated to reschedule you to one that works or offer you a refund. In a perfect world they would commit in advance to covering a hotel but that will never happen. However, I think the real question is if the AA flight is late, causing you to misconnect, will AA pay for a room. That will depend on the cause of the delay. Mechanical problem - yes. Weather or ATC delay - no.

enviroian is correct. International to domestic connections in MAD involve lots of walking, escalators, and elevators.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
enviroian is correct. International to domestic connections in MAD involve lots of walking, escalators, and elevators.
If memory serves I had to *walk* to a completely different terminal

Connecting at MAD makes FRA look like LGB
renila likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

I thought there was a bus between terminals at MAD (EDIT: I think that was BCN.........I have never connected at MAD. I had to pick someone up at MAD once. The train went to a different terminal than the one the flight came in on. )
How often have you connected at LGB?

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 7, 2020 at 7:18 pm
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You will not be able to travel on such a ticket until there is a valid connection meeting the MCT (min connect time).
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
How often have you connected at LGB?
I was trying to be funny comparing it to an airport so small such as LGB. Oh well.
renila and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will not be able to travel on such a ticket until there is a valid connection meeting the MCT (min connect time).
Am flying in Business Class so I’d like to think that before I depart, if there is a connection schedule problem, it will be resolved by AA.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
That will depend on the cause of the delay. Mechanical problem - yes. Weather or ATC delay - no.
that is partly correct. If you are talking about the fly OUT of Europe, Airlines MUST provide accommodations regardless of the reason for delay under EC261/2004.

That being said, if your flight somewhere in spain to MAD is delayed for whatever reason, and there are no other flights that day, they will need to give you a hotel.

If you are flying to Europe on a non-EU airline, they technically aren’t obliged by the law. However, I think all airlines talk about it in their contracts of carriage. Talk to a non-EU airline desk upon arriving in mad for options.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:21 pm

no wonder I’ve been using LHR instead of MAD historically. It’s the IAG group, but I don’t find myself using Iberia too often (even though I try to look anyway out of curiosity)!
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
It can take a long time to get to a MAD connecting flight. We almost didn't make an IB MAD-MIA flight after an IB TLV-MAD flight with a 90 minute layover--MAD is huge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.