Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lap Infant/Child attached to AA award tickets booked in another airline

Old Feb 6, 18, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

I know there's another larger thread on lap infant but it is really outdated and I have quite a few specific questions that the other thread does not mention at all. Please bear with me....

Situation:
Looking to travel from NYC to PVG using AA miles (if there are other better options I'm open as well, I have enough Chase and Amex points), there will be 3 adults and 1 lap infant. Looking for 2 business and 1 Coach (or 1 business 2 coach, we have not decided yet but if this makes a difference please let me know).

Questions:
1. Does AA issue lap infant tickets if I use AA miles to book into CX/JL? What is the process? I have booked AA awards online before but I don't believe I've noticed an option to add lap infant.

2. If yes does it follow AA's pricing or the partner airlines (AA charges 10% of adult fare while CX charges 25%)? If no, what's the process of ticketing the lap infant flight (and in this case I assume pricing will follow the issuing airline so it'll be CX/JL)?

3. Can I attach the lap infant to the Coach seat during booking but after boarding leave her in the business seats?

If more details are needed feel free to ask and I'll provide it!
Old Feb 6, 18, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kenshinluo View Post
1. Does AA issue lap infant tickets if I use AA miles to book into CX/JL? What is the process? I have booked AA awards online before but I don't believe I've noticed an option to add lap infant.
You will have to make a telephone call and purchase it

2. If yes does it follow AA's pricing or the partner airlines (AA charges 10% of adult fare while CX charges 25%)? If no, what's the process of ticketing the lap infant flight (and in this case I assume pricing will follow the issuing airline so it'll be CX/JL)?
Depends
If CX has fares that do not have a ticketing restriction and so AA can issue then, then it will be able to issue a CX fare and then it will be 25% of the adult fare ( plus taxes and charges)
If AA cannot issue a CX fare, then it will have to charge based on a YY fare and so will be 10% of that fare

3. Can I attach the lap infant to the Coach seat during booking but after boarding leave her in the business seats?
The infant ticket has to be for the same cabin that the adult is in. If the adult is in business class, then the infant requires a business class ticket. If the adult is in economy class , then the infant requires an economy class ticket

You cannot purchase an economy class ticket for an infant and have the infant sit in business class any more than you could do the same for an adult
kenshinluo likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
You will have to make a telephone call and purchase it

Depends
If CX has fares that do not have a ticketing restriction and so AA can issue then, then it will be able to issue a CX fare and then it will be 25% of the adult fare ( plus taxes and charges)
If AA cannot issue a CX fare, then it will have to charge based on a YY fare and so will be 10% of that fare

The infant ticket has to be for the same cabin that the adult is in. If the adult is in business class, then the infant requires a business class ticket. If the adult is in economy class , then the infant requires an economy class ticket

You cannot purchase an economy class ticket for an infant and have the infant sit in business class any more than you could do the same for an adult
Thank you, with regard to the 2nd question. What is a YY fare? Let's say they charged 10%, there wouldn't be any situations down the road where I have to make up that 15% difference (assuming CX) right?

Also is the 10% based on full fare or the discounted current fare?
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:16 pm

Thank you, with regard to the 2nd question. What is a YY fare? Let's say they charged 10%, there wouldn't be any situations down the road where I have to make up that 15% difference (assuming CX) right?

Also is the 10% based on full fare or the discounted current fare?
if it is unable to be booked on a CX fare, then it will be 10% of the full fare unrestricted fare, which can be quite expensive

For that route, would be looking at 10% of base fare of $12152 one way or $17360 round trip

If you paid the $1215 or $1736 infant fare, there would be no chance of having to pay more later
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

if it is unable to be booked on a CX fare, then it will be 10% of the full fare unrestricted fare, which can be quite expensive

For that route, would be looking at 10% of base fare of $12152 one way or $17360 round trip

If you paid the $1215 or $1736 infant fare, there would be no chance of having to pay more later
holy cow that's quite a lot for even 10%... do all the mileage programs charge 10% of the full unrestricted fare? and CX at 25%!?
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:43 pm

holy cow that's quite a lot for even 10%... do all the mileage programs charge 10% of the full unrestricted fare? and CX at 25%!?
Nothing to do with mileage programmes, just simply to do with the cost of a ticket. Some programmes offer infant mileage awards at 10% miles. AA just isn't one of those

Just be prepared that if you want to take the infant in business class, that it will be quite expensive
kenshinluo likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call aa and ask - most likely it will be 10% of current bus fare - perhaps not cheap but most likely nowhere near the numbers mentioned upthread.
And please do report what you find out - q like yours and subsequent speculation come up because folks who ask them do not bother to post outcomes.
Old Feb 6, 18, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Call aa and ask - most likely it will be 10% of current bus fare - perhaps not cheap but most likely nowhere near the numbers mentioned upthread.
And please do report what you find out - q like yours and subsequent speculation come up because folks who ask them do not bother to post outcomes.
If AA is able to issue a CX fare , then it will be the rate that CX charges . Looking at Matrix, it does seem that CX is only charging 10%, not 25% for US-China

Originally Posted by fare rules
OR - 1ST INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT
OF THE FARE.
TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT
If it cannot, then the only fare that AA will be able to use is the full unrestricted fare which is as I listed and others I know have indeed been up for such infant fares

The cheapest I class one way infant fare is $586.30 inc taxes and round trip $1,034.11

The other option is to try and see whether CX will sell an infant ticket to go with the award issued by AA - I have only found MH so far prepared to do such a sale
Old Feb 6, 18, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-upgrades.html
Old Feb 7, 18, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

The other option is to try and see whether CX will sell an infant ticket to go with the award issued by AA - I have only found MH so far prepared to do such a sale
this means calling CX and ask them to tack on a lap infant to the already-booked J, and pay the 10% directly to them, so that it can be the current discounted J price?
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
called and got a price quote. the agent did not know what fare but the all in cash price is 1,265, which is very close to the number Dave gave me for 1 way unrestricted fare. So it is somehow 10% and not 25%, but based on the unrestricted full fare.
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

called and got a price quote. the agent did not know what fare but the all in cash price is 1,265, which is very close to the number Dave gave me for 1 way unrestricted fare. So it is somehow 10% and not 25%, but based on the unrestricted full fare.
thank you - this is a very useful data point..
Old Feb 7, 18, 11:09 pm

this means calling CX and ask them to tack on a lap infant to the already-booked J, and pay the 10% directly to them, so that it can be the current discounted J price?
That would be the aim. It is likely though , that when the agent sees the adult award issued by AA, the agent will simply refer you back to AA to buy a ticket
Old Jun 15, 18, 12:31 pm

I'm currently on hold with AA and their rate desk is trying to get a quote for a lap infant on my MNL-AUH-JFK itinerary in business. The agent is nice and keeps coming back, telling me that the system won't let them get a quote so I've been on hold for a while. Didn't think it would be this hard. I thought I'd either pay the 10% that AA charges or the 20% that Etihad charges.
Old Nov 7, 18, 10:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Bumping this. I think Etihad actually blocks AA from charging infant fare so that they can charge the higher 20% in biz. Spoken to over 10 agents in the last few days and no one seems to able to add an infant ticket to the AAdvantage award on EY. They all say call EY to add.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: