Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best First Connection options for ATL-SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas PlatinumOne (OneWorld Emerald)

Hi all,

I'll be flying ATL-SFO in September, and I'm planning to book First with AA. I know the route's not direct, but I want to book AA rather than UA/DL because I'm going to be *very* close to the cut-off at the end of this year for renewing my QF PlatinumOne.

But because it's not a direct route, there's a lot of different connection options, and I'm a total newbie to domestic flying in the US - so I was hoping for some advice in terms of the better AA First product across the fleet.

The main options seem to be:

- Short hop to CLT on a A319 or A320, and then to SFO on an a A321
- Splitting the journey a little more evenly at DFW, with both halves on the 738 (occasionally 757 or A321 for the leg to SFO)
- A319/738 to ORD, then 738 for the second leg
- A319 for the long leg to LAX, then a short hop on an Embraer

I've been trying to figure out how First varies across all those different planes, but I'm struggling a bit!

The A319 looks on Seatguru like it's just an 8-seat First cabin, with personal screens and in-seat power - which makes me think that I should take that all the way to LAX (the bottom option on my list above). Is that what most people would pick?

I'm quite a tall guy btw (6 foot 7), so a spacious seat is fairly important to me...

Thanks a lot in advance! I appreciate any advice.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chrisjpl
Hi all,

I'll be flying ATL-SFO in September, and I'm planning to book First with AA. I know the route's not direct, but I want to book AA rather than UA/DL because I'm going to be *very* close to the cut-off at the end of this year for renewing my QF PlatinumOne.

But because it's not a direct route, there's a lot of different connection options, and I'm a total newbie to domestic flying in the US - so I was hoping for some advice in terms of the better AA First product across the fleet.

The main options seem to be:

- Short hop to CLT on a A319 or A320, and then to SFO on an a A321
- Splitting the journey a little more evenly at DFW, with both halves on the 738 (occasionally 757 or A321 for the leg to SFO)
- A319/738 to ORD, then 738 for the second leg
- A319 for the long leg to LAX, then a short hop on an Embraer

I've been trying to figure out how First varies across all those different planes, but I'm struggling a bit!

The A319 looks on Seatguru like it's just an 8-seat First cabin, with personal screens and in-seat power - which makes me think that I should take that all the way to LAX (the bottom option on my list above). Is that what most people would pick?

I'm quite a tall guy btw (6 foot 7), so a spacious seat is fairly important to me...

Thanks a lot in advance! I appreciate any advice.
Honestly all of the options are pretty meh so I would do whatever is quickest between connecting at ORD or DFW. All of the 738s at least have decent legroom, in seat power, some have personal AVOD, and the legacy AA 321s flying DFW-SFO will have personal AVOD and in seat power.

General seat comfort will largely be the same between everything, but if you're looking for in seat power and/or personal screens then you need to choose wisely. Once again Seatguru is worthless, some of AA's 319s have personal AVOD (the legacy AA planes) but a vast majority do not (the legacy US planes). I would avoid the CLT connection as you're practically guaranteed a legacy US 319 and then the longest flight on a garbage legacy US 321, which is cramped up front with no in seat power or AVOD.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks - very helpful!

If I do the long leg from ATL to LAX, is it pretty random whether I get the AA or US 319?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
We have threads dedicated to nearly every aircraft type here in the AA forum. You may want to browse some of those:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
LUS A320 / 320 – First class seating, best seats (consolidated)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Basically I'd count on no electric power for the flight. There is WiFi (I believe on most aircraft), and there is streaming IFE for your own device. If there is power and/or on-board IFE, then you're doing well.
One thing I like about F on the regional flights is the single seat when I'm traveling solo.

If you are after more miles (I have no idea how the QF program works), you would probably get more by flying ATL-CLT-SFO, or even ATL-PHL-SFO (not sure if MIA would be an option). So you may want to explore that also.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:23 am

If you could find a route through JFK, you would get access to the Flagship Lounge, as well as the Flagship Dining. Not sure if that is an option, but would be a good one if so.

If not, the rest are ok options, but not the best. 99% of domestic routes in the US are just kind of blah for the most part, regardless of carrier. Certain transcon routes get an improved hard product, but not very many. (JFK->LAX/SFO, for example.)

aztimm is spot on about miles. How would your AA flight translate into the QF program? Distance, fare code, combination?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
At this point, the schedules are not set for specific aircraft types in September. They are usually finalized around 3 months out. If you book on a 738 now, you may find it becomes an LUS 321, or an LAA 321, or either A319. You really never know for sure.

That said, I'd book based on the amount of miles you need- max those out. I find all domestic F seats are pretty equal when it comes to legroom etc.- none are amazing although all are better than Y. IFE is the only potential variable- even within the 738 fleet you never know if you'll get a plane with personal screens, drop down screens, Boeing Sky Interior, or an old crate with recovered seats from 1999. As all things with AA these days the only consistency is inconsistency. As another poster said, regardless of what you book, prepare for no power and you'll be fine- as in bring a charging device if you plan on using a phone or laptop on the long hauls.

Again, my advice at this point would be to book the routing based on the amount of miles/segments you most need.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I don't know how your QF earnings work but setting that aside ...

1. Generally avoid CLT. You'll have legacy US aircraft.
2. JFK would be nice but you can't get from ATL to JFK non-stop so you'll have to connect. Plus, F (or J) from JFK to SFO is much nicer than other AA routes but priced consistent with that. JFK has a nice flagship lounge.
3. Connecting at ORD or DFW is a bit of a wash (although ORD might be more miles) but ORD has a Flagship lounge. DFW doesn't. Plus ORD is a few more miles. So vote Chicago connection.
4. I've flown A319's out of LAX and they seem to be the newer AA standard ones. A319's have a lot of bad press here on FT but its largely because of the upgrade problem which isn't an issue if you're buying F. It could impact the fare, however, since AA can price higher with few seats sometimes. Of course, LAX has the QF First lounge as well.

So ... if I were in your shoes and flying paid F, my first choice would be connecting through LAX and my second choice would be connecting through ORD.

Of course, if money and time are less important than maximizing experiences and miles .... I'd go ATL-MIA-JFK-LAX-SFO

Flagship lounge would be nice but you'll have to connect through
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
DFW is the easiest connection. Though the airport is sprawling, its well designed and you’re never more than 10-15 minutes gate to gate. Lounge amenities are variable, as there’s refurbishment, closures, etc. There are Admirals Clubs and a Centurion Lounge. And the 737s all have power, as well as possibly seatback AVOD or WiFi served IFE to your device (the fleet is being reconfigured to the “Bummer Bee” (play on words on a popular US Sardine brand) dense Coach 172 seats, WiFi served IFE, satellite WiFi for Internet.

ORD is decent to connect, and has the new Flagship Lounge. ORD can be seasonally atrocious, but September should be OK.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Does PHL show as a connection point and are the A330s showing as an option? That'll give you an international business class seat for the cross country portion.

I've used the 8 F seat A319s a lot but only on shorter routes and whilst they have power there are a few downsides; there's almost no storage between the seats in front (only under your own seat or in the overhead bin), there is a hard metal bar that goes across the lumbar area....fine on my 45min east coast hops but I wouldn't want it for a lounging and laying back on a cross country flight.

Last edited by Fraser; Feb 5, 2018 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Does PHL show as a connection point and are the A330s showing as an option? That'll give you an international business class seat for the cross country portion.

I've used the 8 seat A319s a lot but only on shorter routes and whilst they have power there are a few downsides; there's almost no storage between the seats in front (only under your own seat or in the overhead bin), there is a hard metal bar that goes across the lumbar area....fine on my 45min east coast hops but I wouldn't want it for a lounging and laying back on a cross country flight.
I had that same thought, but I think the PHL-SFO widebodies are generally only in the winter months (presumably, when European travel is slower and they don't need them for those runs).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I'd try for ATL-JFK-SFO to get the premium transcontinental service. It might be priced up more vs. other hubs, but it'd also be a more exciting experience. However, ATL-JFK as a nonstop isn't available in September, so you might have to do a broken/multicity fare (i.e., ATL-CLT/MIA/DFW-JFK-SFO) or even a split ticket (ATL-LGA, ground transfer, then JFK-SFO). Or Delta nonstop ATL-JFK, transfer airside to AA for the JFK-SFO segment. Of course, if IRROPS occur on DL, AA won't be responsible and you'd be on your own.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I'd try for ATL-JFK-SFO to get the premium transcontinental service. It might be priced up more vs. other hubs, but it'd also be a more exciting experience. However, ATL-JFK as a nonstop isn't available in September, so you might have to do a broken/multicity fare (i.e., ATL-CLT/MIA/DFW-JFK-SFO) or even a split ticket (ATL-LGA, ground transfer, then JFK-SFO). Or Delta nonstop ATL-JFK, transfer airside to AA for the JFK-SFO segment. Of course, if IRROPS occur on DL, AA won't be responsible and you'd be on your own.
The itinerary using both DL and AA could be on the same PNR, given the airlines’ interline agreement has been normalized.

I don’t believe there’s an airside connection between the AA and DL terminals.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Although I'd be happy to change several times if necessary to get a good experience and miles outcome, I'm travelling with my other half who's not so keen on that kind of thing! I would like to try the JFK-SFO premium product though, so I'll try to sell her on an early ATL-x-JFK flight, and then a few hours in Manhattan before a later JFK-SFO.

Originally Posted by JDiver
The itinerary using both DL and AA could be on the same PNR, given the airlines’ interline agreement has been normalized.

I don’t believe there’s an airside connection between the AA and DL terminals.
In practice, how do I make this happen? Say I bought a DL ticket for ATL-JFK and AA JFK-SFO, is it just a case of asking DL check-in at ATL to check my baggage through to SFO? (Sorry if that's a naive question, but I'm used to an environment where alliance carriers won't even check through bags if you've bought two separate tickets, let alone competing airlines agreeing to interline!)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by chrisjpl
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Although I'd be happy to change several times if necessary to get a good experience and miles outcome, I'm travelling with my other half who's not so keen on that kind of thing! I would like to try the JFK-SFO premium product though, so I'll try to sell her on an early ATL-x-JFK flight, and then a few hours in Manhattan before a later JFK-SFO.

In practice, how do I make this happen? Say I bought a DL ticket for ATL-JFK and AA JFK-SFO, is it just a case of asking DL check-in at ATL to check my baggage through to SFO? (Sorry if that's a naive question, but I'm used to an environment where alliance carriers won't even check through bags if you've bought two separate tickets, let alone competing airlines agreeing to interline!)
I’m not sure if they can be purchased together from AA or DL using their “all carriers” website to get them on one single PNR for baggage through-check; perhaps it would take an OTA like Expedia or ? But both airlines do have an interline agreement, so asking DL to do so might work - the DL boffins in that forum could know best.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
1. I'd avoid connecting in ORD as that airport is delay prone especially if thunderstorms come through.
2. DFW is the most direct routing if you're looking for the quickest travel time.
3. CLT and LAX are similar, though if you connect in LAX keep in mind your LAX-SFO flight is on a regional jet (indicated by operated by xxx as American Eagle) and you will need to queue for the bus to the remote terminal.
4. Also consider taking AA ATL-LGA, spend some time in Manhattan then fly JFK-SFO on the A321 premium product

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.