Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Tranfer from Southwest to American at Phoenix / PHX (to move)

Old Feb 4, 18, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
So I am going to fly Southwest to Phoenix from Seattle on Feb.22. My flight states it arrives at 1:35PM in PHX and then I was thinking of taking an American flight Back to Portland at 3:05 PM. Both airlines are in Terminal 4 but I was wondering would I be able to make it?
Old Feb 4, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL Silver, HHonors Gold
IF the Southwest flight is on time, it can be done. It would be best if you had no checked luggage.
Old Feb 4, 18, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please have a look at AA Guide: PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.. There’s lots of useful information and a terminals and gates map in the Wikipost at the top of the page.

As this is neither about AA nor WN exclusively, we will move it to the proper destination forum soon.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 4, 18 at 11:49 pm
Old Feb 4, 18, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtpflyer View Post
IF the Southwest flight is on time, it can be done. It would be best if you had no checked luggage.
Yes I would be traveling only with a Carryon backpack
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Vic121 View Post
Yes I would be traveling only with a Carryon backpack
If you’re on time you shouldn’t have any problem. The furthest AA gate to the furthest SW gate is about a mile.
Lost likes this.
Old Feb 5, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
I have sometimes used the Admirals Club at PHX while flying Southwest.

Just follow the signs to stay on the secure airside.

Rasheed
Old Feb 9, 18, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
There is a post security bridge at the east end of the terminal that connects the WN and AA sides. It connects the high C gates and the high B gates. I fly both airlines out of Phoenix and will frequently go to the other side to go to certain restaurants.

I would not recommend exiting and reentering the secure area as security waits at PHX are erratic at best.

Walking between the D gates and the high A gates (the longest walk you can do in T4) using the post security bridge and the moving walkways would take about 10-15 minutes at a brisk pace.

I would be OK with doing what the OP is attempting as long as it's not the last flight of the day. If the inbound is on time there's plenty of time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: