Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

6 million miles... (but only Lifetime Platinum status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 million miles... (but only Lifetime Platinum status)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Jhanwell
Super letter from Bridget Blaise-Shamai to let me know my 'travel wasn't quite enough to retain your AA EVP status'.
Obviously, Ms Blaise-Shamai isn't aware that I travelled 160,000 miles and spent $22,000 with Virgin Atlantic last year.
After taking one flight in January (LAX-LHR return) realized I would not even get Platinum pro. I started flying with Virgin in February and
had a Gold card and all its privileges by August.
I still managed $6,752 and 59,028 Miles.
After 6 Million miles, 17 years an EVP I had hoped for more than Platinum for life at 2 Million.

After years trying to tell AA to get Premium economy seats (that's not economy old style 9 across, its 8 across) and a total inability to use
VIP certs despite booking late and paying premiums (and suffering boarding desk staff upgrading the wrong people on lists)

So if AA ever look at these sites... you can search my name, # CCY41** - call me, you have my numbers and you can have the $20K off Virgin Atlantic but you need the equipment and start rewarding 6 Million level loyalty.

Oh and as a designer....my 'distinctive million miller emblem' is like looking at a white cat in the snow.

Thanks...
So what do you want to hear from us then...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
After 6 Million miles, 17 years an EVP I had hoped for more than Platinum for life at 2 Million.
How many of those 6 million miles are actual flight miles, though? Did you really fly, on average, 353,000 miles a year, for each of those 17 years? During my 17 years at EXP, I averaged about 125,000 miles a year, so just over 2 million actual flight miles, with everything else being bonus miles and AA credit card spend. I hit 1MM in 3 years and 2MM in 6 years, and you probably hit those tiers earlier than me with all your miles, so you've likely been at the 2MM tier for a dozen years or more at this point, giving you plenty of time to look at the competition and think about your AA lifetime status.

AA has been pretty clear over the years about lifetime status capping at 2MM. There just isn't anything after that. You might have done better at UA where they do offer lifetime tiers at 3MM and 4MM with much better benefits than AA offers at 2MM, but those are actual flight miles without bonuses and credit card spend. Without knowing how much of your 6MM is actual flight miles, hard to say if you might have been better off at UA.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mvoight
I am a bit confused. You said you spent $22K and traveled 160K on Virgin after that Jan flight.
If you had flown on AA, you would have gotten more than Platinum Pro
I assumed the $22K spend was with Virgin, but 160K was total. Later it says 59K on AA, so I assume 101K on VIrgin/others.

But same point - If all 160K, or even most of it was on AA, no problem.

I guess either "realized I would not even get Platinum pro" was incorrect, or the other 110K was flown in a way that it wasn't possible to get 100K total on AA
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I think we're all talking to ourselves. This is probably a one and done.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by txpenny
Oh definitely. But still, gives you a glimpse in the DYKWIA attitude of some.
txpenny likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
yeah but for a "one and done" that one was quite the doozie and great for a laugh.
trooper and txpenny like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:10 pm

I laughed, I cried, it was a short but decent time.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:27 pm

Yeah I passed thru 2 million with a fanfare. 3 Million - zip, 4 Million - Zip, 5 Million - Zip and now 6 Million - ZIP

My baggage tag still says 1 million because I don’t even get new ones of those......

Lifetime Plat Pro might be nice
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
Yeah I passed thru 2 million with a fanfare. 3 Million - zip, 4 Million - Zip, 5 Million - Zip and now 6 Million - ZIP

My baggage tag still says 1 million because I don’t even get new ones of those......

Lifetime Plat Pro might be nice
I would complain about the bag tag thing
But, as OP should know, AA never promised LT status for anything higher than PLT.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
But there is NO harm done in wishing for things--like lifetime EXP. In AA's (and airlines in general) the more you give them they want even more in return(but give you less). EXP used to be just 100K, now its 100K and $12K, previously making EXP got you 8 SWUs, now only 4.
[Bingham (G. Clooney) in "Up In the Air" AA phantasy world got super perks at 10,000,000 miles, they even announced his accomplishment on the PA...]
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
All entitlement aside, I do think that with the introduction of the Platinum Pro tier, AA does have a real opportunity to expand the Lifetime status program. It's clear that they don't want to give away EXP status to anyone unless they actually fly enough to earn it. But, perhaps adding Lifetime Pro status at the 3, or even 4 million mile level, could be something in the cards for the future. Heck, UA even gives away lifetime Global Services at 5 million, which is a pretty amazing benefit for those that are able to attain it.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Feb 6, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why such resentment in replies?
Someone with 17 years of exec plat gets the same lt bennies as cc churners - ya i can see how she may be annoyed..
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
All entitlement aside, I do think that with the introduction of the Platinum Pro tier, AA does have a real opportunity to expand the Lifetime status program. It's clear that they don't want to give away EXP status to anyone unless they actually fly enough to earn it. But, perhaps adding Lifetime Pro status at the 3, or even 4 million mile level, could be something in the cards for the future. Heck, UA even gives away lifetime Global Services at 5 million, which is a pretty amazing benefit for those that are ale to attain it.
UA gives lifetime GS at 4MM, plus you can nominate a companion to get your same status (excluding the SWU's, unless earned the traditional way). 2 for the price of 1!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SS255
UA gives lifetime GS at 4MM, plus you can nominate a companion to get your same status (excluding the SWU's, unless earned the traditional way). 2 for the price of 1!
Although MM on UA has always been a lot harder to earn than AA's MM equivalent.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:03 pm

Super letter from Bridget Blaise-Shamai to let me know my 'travel wasn't quite enough to retain your AA EVP status'.
Obviously, Ms Blaise-Shamai isn't aware that I travelled 160,000 miles and spent $22,000 with Virgin Atlantic last year.
After taking one flight in January (LAX-LHR return) realized I would not even get Platinum pro. I started flying with Virgin in February and
had a Gold card and all its privileges by August.
I still managed $6,752 and 59,028 Miles.

After years trying to tell AA to get Premium economy seats (that's not economy old style 9 across, its 8 across) and a total inability to use
VIP certs despite booking late and paying premiums
(and suffering boarding desk staff upgrading the wrong people on lists)

So if AA ever look at these sites... you can search my name, # CCY41** - call me, you have my numbers and you can have the $20K off Virgin Atlantic but you need the equipment and start rewarding 6 Million level loyalty.

Oh and as a designer....my 'distinctive million miller emblem' is like looking at a white cat in the snow.

Thanks...
1. Actually the change of upgrade pecking order allows you to use the eVIPs more effectively. However, I agreed it's still bad.

2. Most FTers already found out it's 2MM and afterwards nothing. I apologized for the fact that you don't know this, but it is what it is. A lot of people have bolted from AA since the carrier has water-downed the service in merger.

3. Actually with that kind of spend on VS you can credit them to DL, or even AF, and you can get lifetime miles from the other FFPs.

PS: I am glad that you are already at 2MM+ while a lot of others are still struggling to make it to 1MM or 2MM and call it quit.

Happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.