Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Day of departure paid upgrades to Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Does AA offer the opportunity, to elite and or non-elite pax, to upgrade to PE for a fixed fee amount? Most airlines do offer this, but I haven’t heard of the typical fees that are being charged by AA, if any. I know that EXPLT were offered these for free previously, but is that still the case?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may upgrade at any time by paying the fare difference. AA will waive the change fee. As a general policy,
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, WN, AA
OLCI at T-24 for my last LAX-NRT flight I was offered to upgrade to PE for $375. AA Gold FWIW. For a 12 hour flight it didn't seem like the worst offer ever.

However I decided against it because it looked like the seat map looked tremendously empty in the main cabin as well as MCE. In any event, the aircraft ended up getting swapped for one without PE the day of the flight. Had an entire row of MCE to myself.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by rnsn
OLCI at T-24 for my last LAX-NRT flight I was offered to upgrade to PE for $375.
I was actually gonna post that they should do like JL and put a placard selling upgrades up on the podium at check-in. It seems that hawking paid upgrades is a part of the table stakes on the NRT routes. (Which is great - sometimes they're a really good deal )
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Wonder how AA handles situation for those that paid for PE - and now no PE in a swapped aircraft?
I guess you could request to get rebooked on a different airline with PE.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Often1
You may upgrade at any time by paying the fare difference. AA will waive the change fee. As a general policy,
That's obviously not what the OP was asking about. The thread title says "day of departure upgrade". These are known to be offered at the kiosks and OLCI when loads are low enough, and are discussed here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html, although there are not any reports (yet) in that thread of LFBU to PE since the PE product is so new, but there is no reason to believe that LFBU would not be offered for PE (and @rnsn provides a data point suggesting that it is available).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The information noting that a ticketing reissue might be done without service charge was indeed helpful additional information as the difference in fares in some mArkets is only $300 each way. With the additional 0.5 EQM that a PE fare generates, this option could be of value and actually cheaper than the T-24 upgrade offers. On my next international flights, I’ll ask the airport agents what are their typical fixed upgrade fees for PE and ask that other FTers to do the same.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I know that EXPLT were offered these for free previously, but is that still the case?
Yes, I believe that is still the case.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Hi all,

Realize this thread is old but wondering if anyone knows about the possibility to buy up to premium economy on an INTL Aadvantage award ticket? I searched and could not find a relevant thread or any information. I realize any opportunity would likely not be until day-of-departure but curious if anyone has experience as I am in a rather undesirable seat in regular economy, and debating between paying for MCE now or waiting to see if there's a PE offer (which I would prefer).

Last edited by CruiserCLE; Aug 5, 2021 at 7:35 am
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by rnsn
OLCI at T-24 for my last LAX-NRT flight I was offered to upgrade to PE for $375. AA Gold FWIW. For a 12 hour flight it didn't seem like the worst offer ever.

However I decided against it because it looked like the seat map looked tremendously empty in the main cabin as well as MCE. In any event, the aircraft ended up getting swapped for one without PE the day of the flight. Had an entire row of MCE to myself.
I find PE to be worth it on overnight flights if Im not on a client's dime. The difference between Y and PE is pretty big in my book. Think of it as being in domestic coach for 12 hours versus domestic F class for 12 hours....
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Huh? How is there an aircraft in the AA fleet that flies LAX-NRT and not have PE....Unless you're talking about a flight 3 or 4 years ago.
This is a thread from 2018.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Hi all,

Realize this thread is old but wondering if anyone knows about the possibility to buy up to premium economy on an INTL Aadvantage award ticket? I searched and could not find a relevant thread or any information. I realize any opportunity would likely not be until day-of-departure but curious if anyone has experience as I am in a rather undesirable seat in regular economy, and debating between paying for MCE now or waiting to see if there's a PE offer (which I would prefer).
This is not offered on Awards. It is only offered on paid tickets.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
This is not offered on Awards. It is only offered on paid tickets.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t sure if AA offered any sort of cash upgrades on award tickets like UA. Will have to decide if it’s worth it or not to buy MCE given the lack of desirable seats left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.