Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Award flights to Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

AA Award flights to Vietnam?

I tried searching the forums for a response in the last year, but couldn't find anything. I tried searching for a flight on AA from LAX to pretty much Any city in Vietnam, and both American and BA.com both show no availability. I'm looking in April, so not sure if there just are simply no award availability or if i need to go by a different process to find flights?

I searched for Thailand and was able to find a few listings on AA.com, so I *think* AA.com should show it.....any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:09 pm

AA.com does not show awards on most partner airlines. ba.com does show CX and JL awards, but it has some quirks. But yes, it is quite likely that there are no awards available for April---awards must often be booked 11 months in advance i.e. when booking opens.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I would do an Award ticket to Hong Kong, Tokyo, or Seoul and then just book a cheap ticket to Vietnam. My prefer option is use my Korean Air points if I don't want to go through the trouble with AA since that gets me all the way to Vietnam.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP really ought to let AA Reservations try for CX or JAL availability before doing a separate purchased ticket.

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I would do an Award ticket to Hong Kong, Tokyo, or Seoul and then just book a cheap ticket to Vietnam. My prefer option is use my Korean Air points if I don't want to go through the trouble with AA since that gets me all the way to Vietnam.
The award space for the short haul should be easier to get once you secure the long haul, especially with the multiple flight options CX has to VN from HKG. Theres no reason not to add this segment on for the same amount of miles. In other words, its free to add on and you shouldn't have to book a separate paid ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

That's a great point i hadn't thought of. I was looking at Vietjet (hellooooo nurse) and flights from HKG are just $40. Great ideas!!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by shadymg
That's a great point i hadn't thought of. I was looking at Vietjet (hellooooo nurse) and flights from HKG are just $40. Great ideas!!
There's saver awards available on AA LAX-HKG almost the whole first week of April, and returning 2 weeks later about the same. Let me know if you have any particular dates you're looking for. They should be bookable on AA.com, but sometimes not everything shows.
For partner awards such as CX or JL, you're best opening a BA account and checking through them for availability.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

yep, just saw thank you so much! just 32.5k miles each way during april, so that's cool. Appreciate everyone's help!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by shadymg
yep, just saw thank you so much! just 32.5k miles each way during april, so that's cool. Appreciate everyone's help!
It is actually 37,500 if you can marry it up with a partner award (like CX HKG-SGN). Info in the oneworld award chart here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

Seems worth it for the extra 5k miles.

Of course you can just take the partner all the way from LAX, if you can find availability.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’d look at the Wikipost in the thread linked to above by aztimm, and here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html, in case there’s CX or KA availability to SGN, HAN, etc.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
Hi Shadymg,
If I were you, I would not book VietJet as separate paid ticket from HKG unless you have more than 12hrs layover. I flew them about 6 times, mostly domestic but 1 International to BKK, all my flights were delayed, from 2 hours to 8 hrs, and they likely to let you know a day before your flight. If you book it as a separate flight to HKG, you will more likely to miss your award flight.
On the other hand, I used AA awards before for both CX & JL from the East Coast back to VN. If you have difficult with the availability, I suggest you as other award broker services (ie Lucky @ One Mile at A Time). They can be very creative. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.