Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I keep upgrade / seat / baggage allowance / etc. after losing status?

Will I keep upgrade / seat / baggage allowance / etc. after losing status?

Old Feb 1, 18, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Will I keep upgrade after losing status today?

I technically just lost my Platinum status yesterday (1/31) going to no status. My wife and I have a 4+ hour flight tomorrow. I had booked exit row, but just received email that I've been upgraded. Online it says I'm still Platinum, but I assume that will reset at some point today. I do have enough 500 mile upgrade certs (will take 8 for both of us) but if I check-in with the upgraded seats, anyone know what the possibility is that I will end up getting bumped to the back at the gate? I'd hate for us to end up with much worse seats in back rather than at least the exit row. Trying to decide if I should call and tell them I've lost the status and get the exit row back, or not say anything and hope we retain the first class.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 4, 18 at 10:50 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Feb 1, 18, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by JRRinNC View Post
I technically just lost my Platinum status yesterday (1/31) going to no status. My wife and I have a 4+ hour flight tomorrow. I had booked exit row, but just received email that I've been upgraded. Online it says I'm still Platinum, but I assume that will reset at some point today. I do have enough 500 mile upgrade certs (will take 8 for both of us) but if I check-in with the upgraded seats, anyone know what the possibility is that I will end up getting bumped to the back at the gate? I'd hate for us to end up with much worse seats in back rather than at least the exit row. Trying to decide if I should call and tell them I've lost the status and get the exit row back, or not say anything and hope we retain the first class.
Unless there is a plane change or something else that would cause you to change your flights, the currently assigned seat will not change.
Additionally, at some point soon, your status will change, and you will not have free checked baggage.
Old Feb 1, 18, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Additionally, at some point soon, your status will change, and you will not have free checked baggage.
Thanks. I'm actually not worried about the luggage or priority boarding because I do have the Citi AAdvantage Executive CC that gets me that. It's why I'm not so worried about losing status completely. Just thought I read here in years past of gate agents catching upgrades that might not be valid and bumping folks to the back.
Old Feb 1, 18, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no "technically" You either are Plat at the time of your flight or you are not.

However, AA will not change your assignment unless there is a sweep or a change for voluntary or involuntary reasons. Thus, if you make a change of any kind to the flight or seat assignment, you may go back to steerage. If AA makes a change due to a plane swap or IRROPS, the same thing will happen.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Remember if you were to call to get your exit seats back you'd have to pay extra for those seats to secure them.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, VA Platinum, AS 75K, HA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just saw on social media that a friend lost EXP status to now having no status and was prompted to pay for 500 mile upgrades during the online check in for the flights that were upgraded complimentarily previously under EXP status. He paid for the upgrades online and then at the airport during check in, they downgraded him to economy and stated he wouldn't be getting a refund for the 500 mile upgrades being purchased either as stated in the 500 mile upgrades terms and conditions. The upgrades will stay in his account and he could use them on a future flight with status or as a companion of elite status. Looks like once an agent realizes you aren't elite anymore or traveling as a companion, you will be downgraded accordingly. He said they discovered this at the gate during boarding. Perhaps, some will get away with this but as an EXP, I think its important to now honor only existing EXPs for the new membership period.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life View Post
.... Looks like once an agent realizes you aren't elite anymore or traveling as a companion, you will be downgraded accordingly. He said they discovered this at the gate during boarding. Perhaps, some will get away with this but as an EXP, I think its important to now honor only existing EXPs for the new membership period.
That's my fear. And I do agree that I probably shouldn't have it now, but I didn't expect nor request it. (It was months ago when I opted to be in line for the upgrades, and thought I'd still have status.) I'm tempted to just go ahead and pay their huge fee for securing (extending) my status, but that fee they are quoting for me is $648 just for gold. Hmm.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
This is an issue of requesting upgrades on flights close to the day people's status changes. The upgrade policy appears to based on status the day of your flight. I remember a thread where two people were upgraded and on the day of their flight their status dropped. They still had their first class seats when they boarded and sat down. The gate agent came onboard, told them their upgrades were no longer valid, and reseated them in the very back of economy.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I saw that post. It was from a long time ago and was hoping someone might have a little more recent data. Appears to be 50/50 from what you folks have replied here.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, VA Platinum, AS 75K, HA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
That's my fear. And I do agree that I probably shouldn't have it now, but I didn't expect nor request it. (It was months ago when I opted to be in line for the upgrades, and thought I'd still have status.) I'm tempted to just go ahead and pay their huge fee for securing (extending) my status, but that fee they are quoting for me is $648 just for gold. Hmm.
I be there are so many people like you who have booked flights well in advance of the expiration date and have lost status and will discover this when checking in over the next four days until the maximum complimentary upgrade window has passed. It is a dilemma. Is it worth the risk? Thats up to you. If its a short flight and you don't mind getting bumped to economy into a middle seat then I'd still try regardless. For longer flights, especially full ones, it may be not as worthwhile especially if the downgrade happens at the gate when the passes are scanned.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Was seriously thinking of just paying the renewal fee, but now I see that says it can take 5 days to take effect. So guess it may still show as no status when boarding tomorrow. Ugh.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:23 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I don't know how it actually works, but I'd say you have more to lose drawing attention to it. Right now, worst case is that at boarding you're given a non-exit row middle seat (and you could try at the gate to pay for a MCE seat if this happens). Best case is that you check in online, board, and no one notices or has the energy to do anything. Four hours is a while, but not enough that I would voluntarily give up a F seat for coach if it isn't required.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PLAT MM SC Lifetime
OP - Let us know what happens!
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Was seriously thinking of just paying the renewal fee, but now I see that says it can take 5 days to take effect. So guess it may still show as no status when boarding tomorrow. Ugh.
Dont forget to come back and give a status report. Your info will be helpful to others in the same situation.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
I don't know how it actually works, but I'd say you have more to lose drawing attention to it. Right now, worst case is that at boarding you're given a non-exit row middle seat (and you could try at the gate to pay for a MCE seat if this happens). Best case is that you check in online, board, and no one notices or has the energy to do anything. Four hours is a while, but not enough that I would voluntarily give up a F seat for coach if it isn't required.
I'm tall which is why I really try for exit rows, and also I'll be traveling with my wife so didn't want to split up with different middle seats. 24 hour check-in starts in 10 minutes so I'm sure the exit row may go away at that time. Still a bit torn on this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: