Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I keep upgrade / seat / baggage allowance / etc. after losing status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I keep upgrade / seat / baggage allowance / etc. after losing status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Austin787
This is an issue of requesting upgrades on flights close to the day people's status changes. The upgrade policy appears to based on status the day of your flight. I remember a thread where two people were upgraded and on the day of their flight their status dropped. They still had their first class seats when they boarded and sat down. The gate agent came onboard, told them their upgrades were no longer valid, and reseated them in the very back of economy.
This is a very real possibility - I would recommend not going for the upgrades... but let us know how it turns out
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, Global Entry
So I actually did call AA. The agent wasn't sure what would happen and neither was supervisor so they put me on hold about 15 minutes while checking with their "help desk". When she came back, she said they confirmed that I'm not eligible and there is a very real possibility we could be bumped from first class. However, the exit row I had before would now be $100 each ($200 for the two of us)! She suggested instead paying the fee to retain status and transferred me back to the AAdvantage desk after assuring me she would not touch my reservation unless I called back asking to downgrade. But then, AAdvantage desk confirmed that even if I pay the $680+ to retain status it would not take effect for at least 3 days, so would definitely not make me eligible again on this flight. So, unless I want to pay $200 for those exit row seats, we'd be just taking our chance on other seats anyway. Guess in that case I don't have much to lose now by seeing what happens if I just go ahead and check in with the upgrade. Maybe if we do get bumped back it would be to upgrade a couple others that actually had decent preferred seats and we'd take theirs, or perhaps bumped to the exit row and no fee anyway. I know... very wishful thinking. I'll update with what happens.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by JRRinNC
I'm tall which is why I really try for exit rows, and also I'll be traveling with my wife so didn't want to split up with different middle seats. 24 hour check-in starts in 10 minutes so I'm sure the exit row may go away at that time. Still a bit torn on this.
That's fair, I'm just thinking that if you call in you DEFINITELY won't be sitting in F, while if you just stay under the radar you MAY keep the seat. Obviously, you know what is most important for the trip better than I.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
So I actually did call AA.
That was probably not a very good idea. AA employees work for AA--not for the customers.

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if the agent noted in your record that you no longer have status to support the upgrade.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
That was probably not a very good idea. AA employees work for AA--not for the customers.

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if the agent noted in your record that you no longer have status to support the upgrade.

Best of luck.
Well, the call was actually to downgrade not realizing it would cost $200 to get the MCE exit row back. She SAID (of course who knows for sure) that she wouldn't touch or note my record or ticket in case I could get the AAdvantage desk to do something for me with the boost. Now after realizing the fee for MCE for just a 4 hour flight is $100 per seat, I'm rethinking about maybe doing the boost anyway (wasn't planning to before) even though it wouldn't be on my account for this flight.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Well, the call was actually to downgrade not realizing it would cost $200 to get the MCE exit row back. She SAID (of course who knows for sure) that she wouldn't touch or note my record or ticket in case I could get the AAdvantage desk to do something for me with the boost. Now after realizing the fee for MCE for just a 4 hour flight is $100 per seat, I'm rethinking about maybe doing the boost anyway (wasn't planning to before) even though it wouldn't be on my account for this flight.
If you pull the trigger on the boost today, I would suggest you call AA to see if they can see in the system that the buy-up is pending. If so, they *might* (but very well may not) move you back to the exit row. If they do not move you back to the exit row, take 2 printed copies of your receipt to the airport with you: 1 for the GA to keep (if necessary) when you ask to be put in the exit row even though your status is in a limbo state, and 1 for you to have on your person until your boost reflects in the system.

Good luck, and don't forget to report back on how things played out!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:39 pm

I sure as hell wouldn't pay $1300 just to secure an upgrade on a 4 hour flight. Gold status is worthless these days, so there's no ongoing value in that.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
I sure as hell wouldn't pay $1300 just to secure an upgrade on a 4 hour flight. Gold status is worthless these days, so there's no ongoing value in that.
I think it is just GLD for one person, but I still agree. Considering BE passengers get empty MCE seats all the time, it's not unlikely that if the upgrade is taken away OP would get a not terrible seat as it is (assuming the flight isn't packed).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I've been able to keep upgrades which cleared (as PLT) before losing status, despite having no status when the flight took off. YMMV of course, but I think it was a mistake to call.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Not the OP, but figured I'd share my experience.

Purchased a ticket about a month ago. Platinum status. Picked MCE seats on Eagle flights.

Flew out Monday with status.
Flew back today. I knew I lost my status so purposely never logged into app. Checked in online yesterday. My boarding pass indicated I was Platinum. Checked app throughout the day and it continued to show me as Platinum and kept my MCE seat. Got to airport and checked my suitcase. Kiosk indicated I could check three bags for free. I got the orange priority tag. Kept my seat. And was on the upgrade list (no e-certs necessary).

when I got to Philly, I finally logged into app. I'm a "member".
Zacnlinc and oiris11 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

As an update... I had no problems whatsoever keeping the seat. Not one mention or second look from agents. I should add, though, that I didnt look at the upgrade list (too scared to, ha!) but it appeared to be that no one else was in line for upgrades. Just before closing the door there was one FC seat still open and they went in back to get a traveling crew member to allow him to move up.
Now for the trip back next week I do have exit row seats selected. Assuming they won't now require me to pay for those, but suppose always still that chance as well. I wont of course change anything prior to that and just see what happens.
Austin787 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:59 am

As an update... I had no problems whatsoever keeping the seat. Not one mention or second look from agents. I should add, though, that I didnt look at the upgrade list (too scared to, ha!) but it appeared to be that no one else was in line for upgrades. Just before closing the door there was one FC seat still open and they went in back to get a traveling crew member to allow him to move up.
Now for the trip back next week I do have exit row seats selected. Assuming they won't now require me to pay for those, but suppose always still that chance as well. I wont of course change anything prior to that and just see what happens.
Thanks for reporting back and glad it all worked out!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Awesome! For your return flight, as long as there isn't a last-minute equipment swap, AA most likely will not move you from the exit row.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
In fact the message to the Alaska elites who lost reciprocal benefits on AA was that they would keep seats as long as they chose them before the status flip. Perhaps this was a special concession, but it has been publicly discussed.

So keeping your exit row should be fine assuming no flight or equipment changes.

Rasheed
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given similar issues exist in other aspects of flying AA when one has booked with status and subsequently lost it, I’ve expanded the remit if this thread and retitled it to reflect that. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.