Search

No custom check at AA terminal in JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
No custom check at AA terminal in JFK?

Hi all,
Not directly related to AA but was not sure where to put this question.
Recently I needed to declare goods to customs at entry into the USA and when departing (from the UK)
When I entered the USA at JFK there were 2 booths after luggage claim where I could declare and present the relevant forms.
However, when I departed the USA from AA terminal at JFK, I did not see nor pass through any custom control at all.
How does it work? Do I need to find the custom officer before going through security? is it airside?
Thank you very much
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:44 am

No customs departing USA
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
No customs departing USA
So how does one declare goods/currency when one leaves the USA? (as far as I know you must declare as written here for example - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...20LEAVING%20US)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:19 am

There is no routine customs inspection when leaving the US. Why are you thinking that the goods need to be declared (and why did you declare them when leaving the UK)?

Is it because they are valuable (e.g., electronics, jewelry) and you don't want to pay duties again upon "importing" them in the future after they were already in the country once? In that case see here and here.

Is it because the goods are restricted by US export control law and you need a special license to export them? In that case you need professional advice tied into how you got such restricted goods in your possession in the first place (likely through an employer).

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Jan 30, 2018 at 2:33 am Reason: Fix typo
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by ysmisc
So how does one declare goods/currency when one leaves the USA? (as far as I know you must declare as written here for example - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...20LEAVING%20US)
Currency over $10k appears to be a special case and would affect very few travelers, but that declaration form says:
"Travelers carrying currency or other monetary instruments with them shall file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the time of departure from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any Customs port of entry or departure."

And indeed it may not be obvious how to find US customs when departing, say, JFK, but the info is here.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
In international airports there is a US Customs office where one can formally declare goods and financial instruments. It is not in the regular departing passenger stream. The vast majority of passengers never have any need to visit the Customs office.

(My husband used to formally register his expensive Japanese-made camera before departing on an international trip in order to not have to pay duty when returning home.)

In LAX, the US Customs office is on the departure level of TBIT, adjacent to the wall between the terminal and the roadway. This is also the place you visit for a Global Entry interview. I don't know its location in JFK.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I don't know its location in JFK.
I linked that info in my post above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.