Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding w/ Cabin Pet Due to Biz Class Seats w/No Floor Storage

Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond

Had a first for me tonight and not sure if anyone else has experienced this before and who ultimately is to blame for this debacle. Long story as short as possible, I was traveling with 2 other family members tonight in paid first on AA2489 (operated by a 787-9) from DFW to LAX. The 2 other family members with me were traveling with a cat and they had notified the EXP desk about it when they booked the tickets over the phone weeks ago. Not a problem and EXP agent added the cabin pet to their reservation and all was good to go.

FF to yesterday and I tell my family member they should call the EXP desk and double check that the cabin pet is ok since I knew we were in biz class seats that don’t have floor storage. Their agent confirmed it was fine. Being a little scepticle (although I’ve never travelled with an animal before), I also personally called the EXP desk as well later in the day and they confirmed we were fine and “a note” was put into our reservation that everything was ok (according to her and the supervisor she asked). Mentioned that the 787’s would have a spot for pets in the biz cabin for taxi, takeoff and landing like the 321T’s do.

FF to today and we arrive at the airport 2 hrs early. Checkin at priority counter, pay the fee for the cat and are told once again all was in order for the flight. 10 min before boarding, one of my family members is called to the desk and told that the flight attendants saw on the manifest that we have a pet and are in the premium cabin and that isn’t allowed on this aircraft. We explained to the gate agents that we had triple checked with AA and were told multiple times that everything would be ok. They saw the note in the reservation and were perplexed by the whole situation. The gate agent walked down to the plane to chat with the FA’s. On her return we were told someone would have to be downgraded to coach to sit with the cat the whole flight. We asked about a refund for the fare difference if we took that option and we were told that had to be taken up with AA at a later time. We also inquired about buying an extra coach seat in addition to the 3 first class seats we already held and if we could all 3 take turns sitting with the cat. This would allow everyone to enjoy a drink and maybe a bite of dinner at some point during the flight while also making sure someone was with the cat at all times in coach. The gate agent said seats were available but she’d have to check with FA’s. FA’s ended up saying no which I guess is understandable.

The current outcome is myself (only one in family with bags checked onto 2489) on the original 2489 and the 2 other members of my family on the 9:10 (321) with the cat in confirmed F.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and ultimately who’s fault is this? There is no where on AA.com that I can find that mentions specific aircraft that can’t carry cabin pets in certain cabins (just the blurb about a special spot on A321T’s in first/biz for pets). Hopefully no one else experiences this and hopefully AA streamlines their policies a little more so all of their employees are on the same page. (Side note, the FA’s on 2489 knew I was part of the cat family and have been very apologetic and very nice. The purser even gave me an AA business card with her name on it in case I needed anything.)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I haven't experienced this but if the facts are as you say, I would type up a message short enough to fit in the website complaint form, include the other passengers' info, and send it in. I would expect that given your EXP status and the facts in your favor, you'd receive an apology and a few hundred $ in vouchers (among the three of you, perhaps) to offset the trouble.

At least your others ended up in F and only a couple hours behind, if on an inferior aircraft. Presumably only one pax needed to make the change but they wanted to be together.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:53 pm

I'm not sure of the answer, but sorry to hear about your troubles.

Also, thank you for actually paying to transport the cat and not trying to pass it off as a support animal to save a couple bucks.
lalala, ijgordon, dls25 and 27 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:09 pm

Just wondering, maybe the FA was allergic to cats? I haven’t flown on the 787-9, but were there floor space available when you got to your seat? I hope when you write to AA they give you some miles or vouchers for the troubles. Surprised the FA did give you miles right then unless that system hasn’t Started yet.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:22 pm

It’s really hard to believe this is actually a policy. I don’t see anywhere that they have posted that cabin pets are not allowed in the business cabin on 787s. I know personally of friends who have taken their dog on board 787s, in business class, no problems. I think someone made up some rules.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I'm not sure of the answer, but sorry to hear about your troubles.

Also, thank you for actually paying to transport the cat and not trying to pass it off as a support animal to save a couple bucks.
An emotional support cat wouldn't have resulted in being bumped to a domestic F seat from the lay flat J seat. Maybe not every scammer is just a cheapskate.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by robinhood
It’s really hard to believe this is actually a policy. I don’t see anywhere that they have posted that cabin pets are not allowed in the business cabin on 787s. I know personally of friends who have taken their dog on board 787s, in business class, no problems. I think someone made up some rules.
787-8 or 787-9? They have substantially different seats (Zodiac Concept D Business Suite vs B/E Aerospace Super adismond Solo). It may be the Super Diamond isn’t STCd for underseat / under ottoman stowage.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the replies and suggestions/ideas. This wasn’t an emotional support or service animal (just a 4-month old kitten) so it needed to remain in its pet carrier during the flight.

While there was room under the foot ottoman where one could technically fit a bag, it wasn’t allowed on the flight tonight or on any of the other flights I’ve taken on AA widebodies in first or biz in the past. The purser continued to be apologetic throughout the flight and told me it’s published internal policy that the aircraft we were on can’t accommodate cabin pets in biz class. It’d be nice if that “internal policy” was made available to the public so we could save ourselves the headache in the future. The purser also gave me a bag full of Tito’s mini bottles as I left the plane and encouraged me to complain to AA about this and that my preordered meal wasn’t loaded (don’t really care about the meal but the pasta I ordered on the website sounded much more appetizing than the over cooked couscous I was given). The vodka was nice although it’s the other 2 in my party that remained behind that could really have used it LOL. I’ll write customer relations and report back here if I hear anything back.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:41 pm

Interesting... Delta state outright that pets in Cabin can NOT travel in Business in any Delta One configured aircraft (plus some other restrictions)
AA only mentions A321's etc.....
Looks like a nasty oversight!!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
787-8 or 787-9? They have substantially different seats (Zodiac Concept D Business Suite vs B/E Aerospace Super adismond Solo). It may be the Super Diamond isn’t STCd for underseat / under ottoman stowage.
I think it is unreasonable for AA to enforce a policy that is neither public nor easily understandable for the average traveler. Airline enthusiasts on Flyertalk may be able to sort out the differences between a Zodiac Concept D seat and a B/E Aerospace Super Diamond, but how is anyone else supposed to do so? Particularly on the 772s, where there are multiple configurations and realistically there is no easy way to tell what seat you will get, or any guarantee that the seat won’t get changed at the last minute. I think if AA can’t produce an easily accessible public document that clearly prohibits cabin pets in business on 787-9s, they owe you denied boarding compensation.
CloudCoder and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:12 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I think if AA can’t produce an easily accessible public document that clearly prohibits cabin pets in business on 787-9s, they owe you denied boarding compensation.
This. In case of doubt, they need to do more than just ask a FA for their recollection. They need to actually look up an actual rule.

I fly every week, and have done so for decades. I follow _all_ of the real rules, and _none_ of the rules which are made-up on the spot. Unfortunately, they two kinds of rules (real vs. made-up) seem to be approx equal in number.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Interesting... Delta state outright that pets in Cabin can NOT travel in Business in any Delta One configured aircraft (plus some other restrictions)
I love Delta's proactive stance and wish others would follow!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
they owe you denied boarding compensation.
IMHO, just using the phrase denied boarding compensation is going to send AA into a legalistic spin that results in pushback (the flight wasn't oversold, you could have traveled without the cat...), not compensation.

The OP might do better to express disappointment that his good-faith effort to research this through Reservations was not successful, and, indeed, he can't find the restrictions online after the fact. (I can't either.)

There's an entire thread in this forum dedicated to compensation issues and amounts. The OP will find it on a search for... Compensation.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
<snipped> I think if AA can’t produce an easily accessible public document that clearly prohibits cabin pets in business on 787-9s, they owe you denied boarding compensation.
I am not aware of a law that would require compensation in this case.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Had a first for me tonight and not sure if anyone else has experienced this before and who ultimately is to blame for this debacle. Long story as short as possible, I was traveling with 2 other family members tonight in paid first on AA2489 (operated by a 787-9) from DFW to LAX. The 2 other family members with me were traveling with a cat and they had notified the EXP desk about it when they booked the tickets over the phone weeks ago. Not a problem and EXP agent added the cabin pet to their reservation and all was good to go.

FF to yesterday and I tell my family member they should call the EXP desk and double check that the cabin pet is ok since I knew we were in biz class seats that don’t have floor storage. Their agent confirmed it was fine. Being a little scepticle (although I’ve never travelled with an animal before), I also personally called the EXP desk as well later in the day and they confirmed we were fine and “a note” was put into our reservation that everything was ok (according to her and the supervisor she asked). Mentioned that the 787’s would have a spot for pets in the biz cabin for taxi, takeoff and landing like the 321T’s do.

FF to today and we arrive at the airport 2 hrs early. Checkin at priority counter, pay the fee for the cat and are told once again all was in order for the flight. 10 min before boarding, one of my family members is called to the desk and told that the flight attendants saw on the manifest that we have a pet and are in the premium cabin and that isn’t allowed on this aircraft. We explained to the gate agents that we had triple checked with AA and were told multiple times that everything would be ok. They saw the note in the reservation and were perplexed by the whole situation. The gate agent walked down to the plane to chat with the FA’s. On her return we were told someone would have to be downgraded to coach to sit with the cat the whole flight. We asked about a refund for the fare difference if we took that option and we were told that had to be taken up with AA at a later time. We also inquired about buying an extra coach seat in addition to the 3 first class seats we already held and if we could all 3 take turns sitting with the cat. This would allow everyone to enjoy a drink and maybe a bite of dinner at some point during the flight while also making sure someone was with the cat at all times in coach. The gate agent said seats were available but she’d have to check with FA’s. FA’s ended up saying no which I guess is understandable.

The current outcome is myself (only one in family with bags checked onto 2489) on the original 2489 and the 2 other members of my family on the 9:10 (321) with the cat in confirmed F.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and ultimately who’s fault is this? There is no where on AA.com that I can find that mentions specific aircraft that can’t carry cabin pets in certain cabins (just the blurb about a special spot on A321T’s in first/biz for pets). Hopefully no one else experiences this and hopefully AA streamlines their policies a little more so all of their employees are on the same page. (Side note, the FA’s on 2489 knew I was part of the cat family and have been very apologetic and very nice. The purser even gave me an AA business card with her name on it in case I needed anything.)
Most airlines do not allow pets on J cabins because there is no storage space under the seat. The airline is not responsible. It was your responsibility to verify if the cabin your were traveling in allow pets

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.