Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What Happens if intentionally miss a connecting flight on Award Travel?

Old Jan 28, 18, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Greetings all,

I am considering cashing AA mile for a trip from FAI to LON. The return flight has a stop in PHL. I would love to spend a few days there. If I intentionally miss my connecting flight would AA let me let me reschedule a few days later?
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Hi most likely it will be re-booked at the next available flight. You can have just under 24 HR for layover. Not "a few days" as you so desire, otherwise, it will be another award. Similar to when you asked back in 2014
Extending layover with Mileage Ticket?

You seem to do this, keep in mind that carriers may kick you out of their program due to repeat offenses.
thunderlounge and AceReport like this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins View Post
Hi most likely it will be re-booked at the next available flight. You can have just under 24 HR for layover. Not "a few days" as you so desire, otherwise, it will be another award. Similar to when you asked back in 2014
Extending layover with Mileage Ticket?
Wow Cool find, don't even remember asking.

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...471532024.html

Marilyn Hartman, is that you? Slow learners of the world, unite!
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
LOL ..... WOW!!!! I am impressed that arollins pulled that out of the archives ...... Some people never learn ......
Old Jan 28, 18, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kyonn View Post
..I am considering cashing AA mile for a trip from FAI to LON. The return flight has a stop in PHL. I would love to spend a few days there. If I intentionally miss my connecting flight would AA let me let me reschedule a few days later?
AA does not allow stopovers on awards.

For the flight AA has to get you FAI-LON-FAI. If there any problems with the flight you may not go via PHL. AA could chose to reroute via an other airport.
Old Jan 28, 18, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP misconnects at PHL, he will be rebooked on the next available flight. I have successfully asked for a later flight the next day if the next flight departs at some ridiculous time the next AM or somesuch, but simply using a reconnect as an excuse to turn a connection into an illegal stopover would require a lot more authority than the average AA agent has these days.
Old Jan 28, 18, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
A safer bet would be to cancel the last leg (which should be free on an award) and then get another ticket for that your continuation a few days later.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 8:27 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
OP, you should book this with a 23-hour layover or close to that. Which seems about right for PHL, there is no reason to spend more time there.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 28, 18 at 8:56 pm
Old Jan 28, 18, 8:45 pm

Coming from Fairbanks, might you have a stash of Alaska Airlines miles? They're partners, and while AA does not allow stopovers on their award bookings, Alaska does even if one or both segments are on AA.
Old Jan 29, 18, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
something doesn't add up here.

OP wants to cash "AA mile for a trip from FAI to LON" via PHL. Last time I checked one cannot transit via 3rd region, 48cUS in this case, under AAdvatage rules.

This will be a 2 award situation anyway, so OP can stay in PHL as long as he wants.

Sorry if I'm mistaken here
Old Jan 29, 18, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tonykline1947 View Post

OP wants to cash "AA mile for a trip from FAI to LON" via PHL. Last time I checked one cannot transit via 3rd region, 48cUS in this case, under AAdvatage rules.

This will be a 2 award situation anyway, so OP can stay in PHL as long as he wants.

I'm afraid that you are mistaken. Whether Alaska and the lower 48 are now different "regions" or merely sub-regions within North America that have different mileage requirements, award travel between Alaska and Europe can certainly connect in the lower 48; if this were not allowed, it's hard to understand why AA would publish mileage requirements for Alaska-Europe awards, as neither AA nor its partners offers direct service between Alaska and Europe. Indeed, aa.com will permit booking travel between Alaska and Europe via the lower 48 as a single award.

AA allows a number of exceptions to the "no-third-region transit" rule. For example, North America-Asia 2 awards permit connections in Asia 1.
Old Jan 29, 18, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison View Post
A safer bet would be to cancel the last leg (which should be free on an award) and then get another ticket for that your continuation a few days later.
I don't think that canceling the PHL-XXX-FAI legs on the return would be a free change, as Europe-PHL and Europe-FAI no longer cost the same number of miles.
Old Jan 29, 18, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tonykline1947 View Post

No, that doesn't apply in this context. Coming from Alaska, one pretty much has no option except to route via ConUS (specifically, FAI-SEA can't be avoided). For the purposes of routing rules, ConUS is not considered a third region in this case.

Search this Thread