Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lack of Leadership? CEO Parker unfamiliar with 737 MAX 8

Old Jan 27, 18, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold

I’m presently a GS customer thinking of moving to AA. From time to time we all look at the greener grass on the other side. That said, I’m a bit perturbed by what I’ve read about AA leadership lately. The present CEO Parker has done incredible things over his career, which we all have to acknowledge. America West to US Airways to American. He and his team are terrific business people. That said, I don’t understand why a senior leader— who cares — wouldn’t fly on his new aircraft that sets the new standard for the future. Perhaps he’s a businessman and not a product guy, but little things like that matter to the customer and to the employees.

AA has done great things with their ground services and that should be commended. I’m unsure how much of that is a holdover of the last management.

In any event, are AA management engaged, or are they well intentioned but missing the mark?
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by boat9781 View Post
That said, I don’t understand why a senior leader— who cares — wouldn’t fly on his new aircraft that sets the new standard for the future.
Do you have links or references? Without context it's hard to tell what you're talking about.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:10 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

well intentioned but missing the mark?
That is the answer.

AA has made many great strides in different areas but at the same time made decisions that sends the opposite message....

Their overly restrictive same day change policy when they try to offer their HVC more flexibility is one example. Their D0 obsession (push back on time) that creates unintended stress for gate agents which in turn impact customers is another. The new QIK overlay that puts far more restrictions on an agent's ability to provide good customer service when striving to empower front line employees to have the tools they need to do well in their job. System not being conductive to proactively inform customers about changes to flight timing (typically not known until right before boarding is supposed to start even though its clear hours out). New Casper bedding product where only very few routes get the full offering when they are trying to offer a competitive soft product. There are so many more to list.
SpinOn2 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Do you have links or references? Without context it's hard to tell what you're talking about.
Gary over at View from the Wing just posted a quote from Doug Parker who confirmed he has never flown on the 738 Max to really experience/understand what kind of product they are offering. He has said its strange that certain media are constantly pointing this out.

Basically, he is making statements of the new Y product without any firsthand experience.
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Guess OP is referring to a current post on VFTW referencing the 737Max. Because people around here seem to take Gary's word as gospel.

I, for one, could not care less about whether Parker has flown on a particular aircraft type.

<removed meta discussion>

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 30, 18 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
It was mentioned a few times in Gary Leff's blog that Parker has not been the Max yet. Here is the latest (?) example: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ks-blog-weird/

(no interest/control/contribution to the site on my end.)
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I’m presently a GS customer thinking of moving to AA. From time to time we all look at the greener grass on the other side. That said, I’m a bit perturbed by what I’ve read about AA leadership lately. The present CEO Parker has done incredible things over his career, which we all have to acknowledge. America West to US Airways to American. He and his team are terrific business people. That said, I don’t understand why a senior leader— who cares — wouldn’t fly on his new aircraft that sets the new standard for the future. Perhaps he’s a businessman and not a product guy, but little things like that matter to the customer and to the employees.

AA has done great things with their ground services and that should be commended. I’m unsure how much of that is a holdover of the last management.

In any event, are AA management engaged, or are they well intentioned but missing the mark?
You might do better selecting a carrier based on objective criteria: route coverage, frequency, on-time performance, FF awards as a rebate fraction of $ spent... You're headed hard down a mushy-thinking path.
golfingboy and Lost like this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer78 View Post
It was mentioned a few times in Gary Leff's blog that Parker has not been the Max yet. Here is the latest (?) example: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ks-blog-weird/

(no interest/control/contribution to the site on my end.)
I generally find Gary <redacted> of little value but in this case he has a point, if Doug is going to extoll how great this new plane/config is then taking a flight in it might be a good idea if for nothing other than PR reasons to be able to say "yes".

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 28, 18 at 10:49 am Reason: Rules
Old Jan 27, 18, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
I generally find Gary <redacted>justify post responded to of little value but in this case he has a point, if Doug is going to extoll how great this new plane/config is then taking a flight in it might be a good idea if for nothing other than PR reasons to be able to say "yes".
I don't expect the CEO of any company to keep me informed of which of the company's product's used or has not used.
I wouldn't expect him to fly in Y, and we already know how much some customers hate it when non-revs fly in business or first.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 28, 18 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 28, 18, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I don't expect the CEO of any company to keep me informed of which of the company's product's used or has not used.
I wouldn't expect him to fly in Y, and we already know how much some customers hate it when non-revs fly in business or first.
I always think forums such as this hold CEOs to an odd level of involvement that can't be possible. That said, this was an employee-involved forum that asked about the config of the plane, he apparently has never been on. I don't expect him to fly DFW-PHL (just based on my hub-hub route)... but by now I would think he at least graced the max with his presence.
Old Jan 28, 18, 2:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Doug Parker is by no means an ideal CEO, and it's clear from some of his statements (We'll never lose money again) and actions (re: 737MAX) that he's not familiar with the experience of customers and employees on the ground.

But he also appears to not be insane. By that, I mean there's no indication he'd stand by employees who had security attack and drag a bloody customer from a plane. There have been no major blow-ups regarding AA's nonrev dress code. No passengers have been publicly forced to hold their older-than-lap age infants despite purchasing seats. If this particular metric holds any value to you, Parker appears to have at least two brain cells necessary to rub together to avoid PR catastrophe.
Old Jan 28, 18, 2:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
Doug Parker is by no means an ideal CEO, and it's clear from some of his statements (We'll never lose money again) and actions (re: 737MAX) that he's not familiar with the experience of customers and employees on the ground.

But he also appears to not be insane. By that, I mean there's no indication he'd stand by employees who had security attack and drag a bloody customer from a plane. There have been no major blow-ups regarding AA's nonrev dress code. No passengers have been publicly forced to hold their older-than-lap age infants despite purchasing seats. If this particular metric holds any value to you, Parker appears to have at least two brain cells necessary to rub together to avoid PR catastrophe.
That UA spent 2017 getting "hold my beer" tattooed on their forehead doesn't magically absolve AA of their own bad choices. On the PR front, I'd say not having spent time between the two times he was questioned on the new layout to set foot upon one so he could say "yes I did and its as great as I said it was!" is a PR fail. Also the initial 29" pitch was not a win from a PR perspective which they backed off on , followed by this video I found on my LinkedIn today about AAs MAX bathrooms:https://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as...470931303.html I don't think he's doing so hot on the PR side. Yes there wasn't some contract security folks beating the crap out of someone who refused to be IDBd but honestly isn't, or shouldn't, the bar a slight bit above that mark?
oopl likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 8:41 am

That said, I don’t understand why a senior leader— who cares — wouldn’t fly on his new aircraft that sets the new standard for the future. Perhaps he’s a businessman and not a product guy, but little things like that matter to the customer and to the employees.
Would you also be surprised that CEOs of global car manufacturers do not sit in, much less test drive, every auto and truck they make? There are many examples of this, across multiple industries.
Old Jan 28, 18, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
Would you also be surprised that CEOs of global car manufacturers do not sit in, much less test drive, every auto and truck they make? There are many examples of this, across multiple industries.
Yes.
Old Jan 28, 18, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
I understand OP’s concern. I too feel it is hard to be loyal to an airline that is on a path to downgrade their passenger experience (well at least in terms of cabin products—which is a big deal).

I just switched to AA from CX a while ago, and the recent MAX debacle made me reevaluate my decision. Take GA for example, who also just recently got their MAX—and another airline I fly often( no status though). Unlike AA, they didn’t try to cram more seats in, kept the bulkheads, upgraded their IFEs-not eliminate them. Looking back I always have thoughts if I’d be better off being loyal to GA
/SkyTeam, fly DL for US domestic and get status with them instead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: