Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lack of Leadership? CEO Parker unfamiliar with 737 MAX 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of Leadership? CEO Parker unfamiliar with 737 MAX 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Can OP, or others, point to confirmation that every other airline CEO has flown every product in their fleet? Because nothing will show me fantastic leadership abilities better than boarding an aircraft.
bse118 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Southwests CEO, no confirmation needed.

AA has distinguished itself with poor design elements (787 J seats shaking, privacy screens non-functional, 738 Max Bathroom seems like a huge issue). But the CEO can't even fathom why trying the plane would be a good idea.

What CEO with great leadership is so clueless about his customers needs. Any one with a brain would try and put themselves in their customers shoes.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
AA isn't the only US airline installing slimline lavs - DL's had those things for years.

I'd rather Parker fly the competition than AA - better he experience what others are doing. In reality - it's not the job of a CEO to be intimately concerned with the details of day to day passenger experience. He's got teams of people devoted to that.

Last edited by bse118; Jan 28, 2018 at 11:25 am Reason: clarity
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
AA isn't the only US airline installing slimline lavs - DL's had those things for years.
With the amount of times I've used one on DL, I thought this forums outcry over the lavs (based on pictures ) was just more "chicken little" conventional wisdom

Originally Posted by bse118
it's not the job of a CEO to be intimately concerned with the details of day to day passenger experience. He's got teams of people devoted to that.
Yup.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:15 pm

The CEO of a multibillion-dollar company isn't responsible for every decision and presumably sought advice before buying those jets and installing the seats and lavatories they chose. I doubt very much he was highly involved - or should be - in any of those decisions.

The claim that he should be is ridiculous.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Doug Parker is by no means an ideal CEO, and it's clear from some of his statements (We'll never lose money again) and actions (re: 737MAX) that he's not familiar with the experience of customers and employees on the ground.

But he also appears to not be insane. By that, I mean there's no indication he'd stand by employees who had security attack and drag a bloody customer from a plane. There have been no major blow-ups regarding AA's nonrev dress code. No passengers have been publicly forced to hold their older-than-lap age infants despite purchasing seats. If this particular metric holds any value to you, Parker appears to have at least two brain cells necessary to rub together to avoid PR catastrophe.
The UA bloodied passenger was not "attacked". He accidentally collided with the seat or something else when being forcefully being removed by airport police. (not security)
Of course, he could have voluntarily got out of his seat when asked.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
With the amount of times I've used one on DL, I thought this forums outcry over the lavs (based on pictures ) was just more "chicken little" conventional wisdom
Yup.
I am sure they are an improvement over the DC-3 lav I saw at the CR Smith Museum (AA) in Ft Worth yesterday.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by boat9781
That said, I don’t understand why a senior leader— who cares — wouldn’t fly on his new aircraft that sets the new standard for the future. Perhaps he’s a businessman and not a product guy, but little things like that matter to the customer and to the employees.
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Gary over at View from the Wing just posted a quote from Doug Parker who confirmed he has never flown on the 738 Max to really experience/understand what kind of product they are offering. He has said its strange that certain media are constantly pointing this out.

Basically, he is making statements of the new Y product without any firsthand experience.
I don't think that it's necessary for him to try the product. Think that the CEO of GM test drives every new model before it's sold? Beyond that, even if Parker did fly the 738, everyone's experience is different. He would end up saying that he really liked this or that, only to be met here on FT by posters saying that they hate it and he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
It's a common fact that Parker is a horrible CEO. Ed & Richard at Delta, Oscar at UA, and Gary at WN all at least put themselves in their customers shoes, and even check out competitors to see what works and what doesn't. Even Jeff S at UA did the same. Parker has always been out of touch, and I can't wait for management/the shareholders to dump him.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a CEO of an airline to try out a new hard product. It's not like they have hundreds of them or they happen very often - at best, 2-3 a year during the most aggressive refresh cycles? But beyond that, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to know that as Americans continue to increase in size, shrinking space isn't going to go over well.

Unfortunately I don't see them dumping DP anytime soon.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a CEO of an airline to try out a new hard product. It's not like they have hundreds of them or they happen very often - at best, 2-3 a year during the most aggressive refresh cycles? But beyond that, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to know that as Americans continue to increase in size, shrinking space isn't going to go over well.

Unfortunately I don't see them dumping DP anytime soon.

I don't think it is an unreasonable thought to try. I'm not sure how well the execution can be though, other than how it is to sit somewhere for X amount of time. It's not as if he could slip on a flight without anyone knowing, and experience the true flight as a whole (good or bad.)

I wouldn't say it's something a CEO has to do constantly, but a random flight even once a year really isn't too much to ask.

They would probably have more success on evaluating overall flight experience from a "mystery flier" that the crew/system doesn't recognize to see how well the service and such is going.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
FWIW, at least back in 2010 he was flying in coach and mixing with the "common folk"
Doug on my flight
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Doug Parker doesn't have time to aimlessly fly on a 737max. A CEO's time is much too valuable.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
<redacted> Dougie has signed off on some several hundred million/some billion (sorry, too lazy to look at 3am) deal for 737MAX planes.

For the love of god, this dude should know what he's buying, and what he's trying to sell to his customers. It's not we're asking him to check out a lone Cessna Grand Caravan that's being used on an EAS route.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 30, 2018 at 7:47 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This thread may be taking some twists and turns, but it definitely is not about how large the flying public is.

I've trimmed back some posts that were straying well afield of the topic—please try to keep things concentrated on Parker's seeming unfamiliarity with the 787 MAX 8.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.