Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Plane change and bump from business to economy on AA 693 A330 HNL-PHX (1/24/18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane change and bump from business to economy on AA 693 A330 HNL-PHX (1/24/18)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On #692 right now and this was also a downguage in aircraft from N272AY to N292AY. I noticed super early this morning, but it still kept my seat assignment (paid I class) so I wasn’t worried. On my connecting flight AA called and asked if I wanted to be moved to economy for a $500 voucher.....ummm no thank you. Not sure how they ended up figuring out who to bump.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
deleted
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by brc757rr
On #692 right now and this was also a downguage in aircraft from N272AY to N292AY. I noticed super early this morning, but it still kept my seat assignment (paid I class) so I wasn’t worried. On my connecting flight AA called and asked if I wanted to be moved to economy for a $500 voucher.....ummm no thank you. Not sure how they ended up figuring out who to bump.
$500.... that's funny. Our seats are in row 1 and i'm hoping they just take whoever is in row 6 if our flight gets downgauged... I wonder why the change. Flight Radar shows yesterday and today as the only ones https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa692 ...hopefully it's not a harbinger of things to come.

It looks like the incoming FLt 692 on the A333 from CLT today was cx so the A332 just did a turn back to HNL...I'd be ticked if I was going from CLT to HNL through PHX...

Last edited by davidsc111; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

So we got back and the HNL-PHX was miserable for a 6' 2" 300 lb guy on a red-eye although I have to say the A330 economy seats seem to me much better than the 737-900 was on last.

I was also given a choice of flying next night at 10:30 back in business. Not feasible for us.

So the original flight was 40K per person one way business on A333 HNL-PHX & 738 PHX-MSP.

They gave me 20k each points back which is the class difference in points and the $500 voucher each for the troubles and supposed to be in "extra leg room seat" I was told that the seats were normally $100 more. I didn't have much time to check seats as I was boarding KOA-HNL and my phone could only receive voicemail and text due to a sea water bath. So I had to get messages and then call back with wifes phone.

There was MCE? in front of Economy. I don't know I was pretty frazzled at that point.I ended up with regular economy but at least window/aisle together.

I was originally in row 2 up front but was told that being on an award ticket I was at the low end of the totem pole. I assumed that I was going to be moved regardless and the vouchers seemed worthwhile. I dunno.

I got home at the same time with less sleep, but with more points and voucher so today seems ok.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Note that in addition to the customer service gestures, e.g. points and vouchers, you are contractually entiitled to a refund of the fare difference between F and Y. Make that claim after you are back home.
Aren't they going to say that the 20K back in miles was the fare refund since I didn't pay any dollars for tickets?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by qsurplus
Aren't they going to say that the 20K back in miles was the fare refund since I didn't pay any dollars for tickets?
Yup. I think the poster above was speaking if it was a paid ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Not sure what went wrong, but 693 HNL-PHX cancelled last night....I got the notification about 7 hours before the flight so had plenty of time to re-book....without any complaints on my part, I was offered 15,000 Advantage miles this morning for the hassle (via email).

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jan 29, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by qsurplus
At least you can take a pretty solid trip on those vouchers you got. Could even cover Europe when the fares are particularly good. So a bit of a rough night but at least you got some upside now.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not sure what went wrong, but 693 HNL-PHX cancelled last night....I got the notification about 7 hours before the flight so had plenty of time to re-book....without any complaints on my part, I was offered 15,000 Advantage miles this morning for the hassle (via email).
692 PHX - HNL had to turn back because of a check engine light : ) so your plane was in PHX. Not sure what happened but it made the papers in PHX, I'm sure all those folks that had to head back to PHX were bummed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.