Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gernabae
Just came across this "addendum" to the original announcement. I find it completely unbelievable if true, can't understand why any airline would want to throw any sort of incentive-based free-for-all event into their pre-departure process.

https://theforwardcabin.com/2018/01/...-no-seriously/

So,basically, they are going to give free booze to anyone who jumps into those seats after the boarding process has ended?
NOT GOOD. FA's know which seats were assigned when the door closed, those seats should get the free booze, or elites and those who paid for MCE should get it, not just people just randomly assigned there because they were empty and a Basic passenger needed a seat
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by codex57
Hypothetical question:

A big problem with the "reserving" overhead space is that the FAs are specifically not required to enforce this. So, what's to stop someone in MCE, upon finding that someone not in MCE took up their overhead space (perhaps after asking the other MCE passengers) from just taking out the offending luggage, setting it on the ground, and putting their own luggage in?

Wouldn't that force the FA's to get involved? What would happen? First come first serve, and the late coming MCE passenger has to move? MCE passenger gets his supposed "reserved" overhead space, and the FA has to go track down the owner of the luggage lying in the middle of the aisle?
If nobody is enforcing it, then it's not really "reserved"
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
So,basically, they are going to give free booze to anyone who jumps into those seats after the boarding process has ended?
NOT GOOD. FA's know which seats were assigned when the door closed, those seats should get the free booze, or elites and those who paid for MCE should get it, not just people just randomly assigned there because they were empty and a Basic passenger needed a seat
I'm sure MCE will then be separate ticketed section....move around yes but MCE people only move around in MCE...
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I wouldn't necessarily characterize it quite like that.. more like enhancement of MCE overall, but devaluation of MCE for Elites on certain aspects..
Why I have to pay for my MCE or get it free with AA Plat and now because either I spent extra or have status someone can still sit next to me day of not pay anything and get the same treatment. That is bringing down the value of the MCE and AA Plat 100%. Why would anyone pay for a product they give away for free?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
If MCE becomes a separate cabin, only those already booked in MCE would get those benefits. People in regular economy would not be able to move into MCE - just like how people in MC/MCE cannot move into first class when there is an empty first seat (rare these days).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The only hope in the future, when MCE maybe a separate cabin, is that AA may at least allow EXPs to have complimentary upgrades from main cabin to First. My fear is that MCE will become a separate cabin in 2019.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
The only hope in the future, when MCE maybe a separate cabin, is that AA may at least allow EXPs to have complimentary upgrades from main cabin to First. My fear is that MCE will become a separate cabin in 2019.
If the copy DL, which AA seems fond of doing, then having it as a separate cabin wont be something to fear - on DL you can upgrade from Y->C+ and/or Y->F.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:51 pm

Why do you care if someone else gets free booze as long as you get some too?
rjw242 and arlflyer like this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
When does free booze start anyway?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:34 am

I'm having a hard time believing that AA will allow any econ passenger to move into an MCE seat for free.

AA's most lucrative passengers (elites, full fare passengers, and other MCE-paying passengers) certainly will scream loudly for two reasons:

1) non-MCE passengers taking empty MCE seats lessen the likelihood of having a poor man's first class seat (an empty seat next to you)

2) feeling unjust that one had to pay for something that others are given for free
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
If the copy DL, which AA seems fond of doing, then having it as a separate cabin wont be something to fear - on DL you can upgrade from Y->C+ and/or Y->F.
But see the post above about how AA copies DL minus a few things. This seems like one of those “few things” that AA won’t adopt.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Wow.. usually my wife and I book an aisle and window seat (in case we don't get upgraded), with the center seat empty with the hope that it doesn't get taken. I think enough folks will learn about the MCE perk, that I can't imagine that the center seat will ever go unoccupied once this program is implemented.
Wow that is really obnoxious. Within the rules but still incredibly obnoxious.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
Why do you care if someone else gets free booze as long as you get some too?
There's a limited supply. Can you guarantee my drink of choice won't run out?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow that is really obnoxious. Within the rules but still incredibly obnoxious.
No it's not. Why should one part of a traveling couple be forced to take a middle seat, or else be called obnoxious?
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Unhappy

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
At this point shouldn't AA rename themselves DeltAA and just get it over with?
AAgreed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.