Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:33 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
While this is awesome news and is a huge incentive for me to book in this class, is this the first step in AA removing their domestic First Class product?
Unlikely.

It's the first step for AA playing catch-up to DL who has the exact same service in their MCE equivalent (Comfort +). The next step will be giving comp upgrades to MCE and F for all elite tiers, though that would not go over well with the veteran AA PP and EP members.....
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Anyone know what the definition of "snacks" is for people in MCE? Is it different from food options for EXP?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
Anyone know what the definition of "snacks" is for people in MCE? Is it different from food options for EXP?
Pretty sure with Doug Parker's beer bottle pocket, they're referring to peanuts and/or pretzels.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:49 pm

Are exit row seats main cabin extra?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joetro
Are exit row seats main cabin extra?
yes.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The manifest in F lists status for pax. IIRC it says "Pro" for Platinum Pro and "EP" for Exec Plat. Lots of reports on FT indicate that AA's FAs don't get much in the way of detailed updates regarding CS related changes to AAdvantage.
the tablet shows EXP and CK. EXP are green and CK are green and purple. That's how they know who gets free food and drinks in the back. It shows up in F too, but matters less as everything is included there.

one would think MCE would show up in a different color now. So the FA isnt having to check row numbers
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Originally Posted by Antarius
the tablet shows EXP and CK. EXP are green and CK are green and purple. That's how they know who gets free food and drinks in the back. It shows up in F too, but matters less as everything is included there.

one would think MCE would show up in a different color now. So the FA isnt having to check row numbers
Flew MIA-LGA today and could see FAs handled device. No difference in color between MCE and general main cabin (but noticed that I was marked green as OWE not that there was any difference in service). Could also hear the FAs discussing which rows are MCE (presumably for the purposes of drink service).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Guillou
Flew MIA-LGA today and could see FAs handled device. No difference in color between MCE and general main cabin (but noticed that I was marked green as OWE not that there was any difference in service). Could also hear the FAs discussing which rows are MCE (presumably for the purposes of drink service).
Aren't the MCE rows physically marked on the AC?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:16 am

They should be now, yes.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Unlikely.

It's the first step for AA playing catch-up to DL who has the exact same service in their MCE equivalent (Comfort +). The next step will be giving comp upgrades to MCE and F for all elite tiers, though that would not go over well with the veteran AA PP and EP members.....
Why? EXP and PP upgrade ahead of the rest, P G won't upgrade with stickers if there are any EXP PP waiting, so it's really a no loss for them. It would be a huge win for me, flying the segments for EXP or at worst PP, but all short hauls, so I've never cleared $7k in a year in spend. With all those flights, especially on the 700-900 mile RJ routes, I'd appreciate being able to upgrade into those empty seats that are there almost 90% of the time.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:17 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by autdi
Why? EXP and PP upgrade ahead of the rest, P G won't upgrade with stickers if there are any EXP PP waiting, so it's really a no loss for them. It would be a huge win for me, flying the segments for EXP or at worst PP, but all short hauls, so I've never cleared $7k in a year in spend. With all those flights, especially on the 700-900 mile RJ routes, I'd appreciate being able to upgrade into those empty seats that are there almost 90% of the time.
In a complimentary upgrade system like UA/DL where every elite member is automatically added to the upgrade queue at time of booking, an EXP and PP would potentially be shafted if a Gold or Plat got upgraded during their window and an EXP or PP bought their ticket at T-48 hours. The current system benefits the high ranking elites who may buy typically higher fares in the 2 days leading up to a flight.

It also, to a degree, benefits Golds and Platinum members who opt to use their upgrade balance versus those who don't have any left and don't want to pony up $40 per 500 miles. A midcon trip can cost $120 and a transcon trip $200 extra, which many would just as soon be content in at least a MCE seat if they can score it. This reduces the competition within those 2 lower levels. I get a fair amount of upgrades as a Gold and ~$7000 spend in the past 12 months mainly because, I believe, other Golds have not chosen to pay with an e-certificate. The upgrade list is often much smaller for >500 mile trips than it is on a trip like PHL-CLT that is elite heavy and has an upgrade list 50+ long because they are all comp upgrades automatically applied to the reservation.

Recalling past threads about this, the jury within this forum seems to be divided on whether or not to move to an all complimentary upgrade system. For now, AA has kept the status quo.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm thinking, "why waste 2 upgrade certificates on a flight that's just over 500 miles when I can get a potentially bigger seat in MCE plus a free drink".
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'm thinking, "why waste 2 upgrade certificates on a flight that's just over 500 miles when I can get a potentially bigger seat in MCE plus a free drink".
more legroom than first in *some* MCE seats, but never a bigger seat than first. If lucky you might get a PE MCE seat on a widebody flying domestically, but you'll never be in a bigger seat than those in first get, in MCE.

with the small enhancement of a drink or three, MCE could end up being the not so bad consolation of missing your upgrade to first, and you don't have to ever wonder if you'll clear into MCE. You can pick it when you book your flight.
First without the bigger seat, hot towel, nuts & cookie.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
more legroom than first in *some* MCE seats, but never a bigger seat than first. If lucky you might get a PE MCE seat on a widebody flying domestically, but you'll never be in a bigger seat than those in first get, in MCE.

with the small enhancement of a drink or three, MCE could end up being the not so bad consolation of missing your upgrade to first, and you don't have to ever wonder if you'll clear into MCE. You can pick it when you book your flight.
First without the bigger seat, hot towel, nuts & cookie.
You're right- I meant "more spacious", as legroom in MCE can be a lot better than in FC.

On short flights (LGA-CLT, for example), all you get in FC is a snack basket and drinks so I don't see the point in using certificates to go FC now.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
You're right- I meant "more spacious", as legroom in MCE can be a lot better than in FC.

On short flights (LGA-CLT, for example), all you get in FC is a snack basket and drinks so I don't see the point in using certificates to go FC now.
Even on the long RJ flights up to 1000 miles, you are still just getting a snack basket in first, depends on who is flying it, drinks in plastic as well. In MCE, you at least get the whole can, so you can deal with the refill as needed. I'll sometimes request the upgrade if it was a long week, and I'm tired, the seat is marginally less painful to sit in. But really, there's not much value left on the upgrade over MCE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.